Meningitous and teens/young adults. Talk to me. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 01-24-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)

As some of you may know (and hey, it is in my siggie) I have teens.  One of the vaccines that I have thought about for teens in a meningitis vaccine.  Meningitis scares me.  I have known 3 people with meningitis in my life (well, 2, one I heard of).  All lived, but in all cases it was scary and involved hosptialisation.  I also know very little about meningitis vaccines.  It is not one we debate here very often, and it seems, at least at first glance, to be a more complicated vaccine.  So - a few questions, and I will not debate your answers with.  I will just thank you and move on.  I am info gathering  mode.  Please cite if possible.

1.  Anyone know the number of meningitis cases in older teens/young adults that are prevented by vaccination?  

2.  Does anyone have specific concerns about the meningitis vaccines that is targeted to older teens?

3.  Are there ways other than vaccination to prevent meningitis?  

If this vaccine is at the top of your list, tell me why.  If it is at the bottom, tell me why.  

(edited to add:  it looks like older teens get Men-C as a vaccine.  There seem to be a number of meningitis vaccines)

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 01-24-2014, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

3.  Are there ways other than vaccination to prevent meningitis?  

I just opened the CDC page and I think you might find it helpful. They break down the different types of menegitis and how it is spread. http://www.cdc.gov/meningitis/index.html and the page on transmission of bacterial menegitis seems to indicate that casual contact is not really a concern - http://www.cdc.gov/meningitis/bacterial.html#transmission. Anecdotal, but the cases around here always seem to involve young college kids sharing drinks at parties or in the locker room. I would definitely discourage my kids from doing that. It isn't a good habit anyway.

#3 of 26 Old 01-24-2014, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

I will tell you that not being far from Princeton that seems to have really died down in the news I get locally. I personally have not looked it up since around Thanksgiving when it was so much in the news.

We have several Ivy League colleges in my area, one did have an "outbreak" last year that made the news. They all have lots of overseas students too - does this factor into a decisions of others?

I do remember with what they were saying about Princeton, they said about it being a strain that you could not vac for here in the States as of yet, thus the reason to get the exemption to import the European vaccine  just for them. OR I guess you could just send you child overseas to get it during the break?

I wonder why you want it - is it because of going away to college? And with that, what can you and can't you get? Would college mean just Canada, no overseas semester?

My DD did not get for college and not all require it, and you can get out of it. I do find it odd that one would get it for college, would you get it for summer camp as well or boarding school also? I never hear of doing that.

IF you are not getting it for college it's not one that is recommended for just young adults not going to college - so there is a lot to weigh -IMO need, risk, get it and not have the correct strain, it's a lot to think over………sorry I can't be of any real help

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#4 of 26 Old 01-24-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Serenbat, DS may be off to University in the fall.  If not then, then the year after.  He will most likely live at home (which does give me some peace of mind).  The university he is likely to attend does not attract huge amounts of foreign student, although I am sure there are some.

A friend (age 30!) had meningitis about 6 weeks ago.  It was viral, and she is fine.  She was in incredible pain though, and hospitalised for a while.  She has a cochlear implant, which may have increased her chances of getting meningitis.  Ds had a teacher who was out all semester because his 11 month old daughter came down with meningitis.  She survived.  Many years ago my cousin had meningitis - she also survived, but people were worried she might have hearing loss for years.  I did look up the stats on meningitis and it does seem rare. I am wondering if I am just a one-off in that I know 3 people?

Friutfulmom….Ds will likely ignore me if I tell him not to share food and the like.  Nothing like youth to think you are invincible.   Maybe I do need to work on getting teens to take responsibility for their own health a bit more.   DD would not.  She is a germ-a-phobe.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#5 of 26 Old 01-24-2014, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)

Meningitis IS something I worry about--but I am not convinced that the vaccines are safe and effective.  I am also not convinced that hospitals are treating it safely and effectively when it does happen.  I'm sure they do their best--but that doesn't mean that they're doing it right.

#6 of 26 Old 01-24-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am subscribing to this as I also have teens; one currently in college at home and a Senior. We have been asked if we would like to get it since my first teen was 16. There has been one Menigitis death here at the university in our city (about 26,000 students) within the last 10 years and the adult hockey league took a hit with 3 deaths and 2 other cases about 3 years ago (my son was in the same locker room within the week of the outbreak). One person got it and died while I was at college in MA in the late 80's but no one else even got sick on a very small campus. So I am truly on the fence.
#7 of 26 Old 01-24-2014, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

I found this graph, plus a lot of good info on this site:

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/im/vpd-mev/meningococcal-eng.php

It seems there are 2 vaccines for older teens - Men C--C or or Men ACY W135.  I am not sure why one would go for MenC when Men ACYW135 is available.  Anyone?

#8 of 26 Old 01-25-2014, 12:20 PM

Dunno either. Menactra is the one that covers all 4, right? Menomune too. I haven't compared the two as my oldest kid is in kindergarten. I did know that both in the US and EU B is the dominant strain and there isn't a vaccine for it here. Btw Men C only vaccine is on the schedule for toddlers in Germany (http://www.rki.de/DE/Content/Kommissionen/STIKO/Empfehlungen/Aktuelles/Impfkalender.pdf?__blob=publicationFile).

The B vaccine is experimental and not approved yet, it's in the trial stages as far as I know. Nobody gets it regularly back home (yet).

Package inserts for ACWY

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM131653.pdf -> has thimerosal if you don't order the single vials

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/biologicsbloodvaccines/vaccines/approvedproducts/ucm131170.pdf -> comes only as single vial (no thimerosal)

None of them use aluminum adjuvants or others for that matter.

#9 of 26 Old 01-25-2014, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

There are over 100 varieties of bacterial meningitis, and the vaccine covers four.

There is also viral and fungal meningitis, for which there are no vaccines. www.cdc.gov/hai/outbreaks/meningitis.html

Two years ago, two students at the University of Pennsylvania came down with meningitis. They were in completely different areas of the campus and had no connection with each other and both were fully vaccinated.

http://www.vaccineinfo.net/immunization/vaccine/meningococcal/meningitis_vaccine_insert.shtml

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#10 of 26 Old 01-26-2014, 12:47 AM

I wonder about this one, too, as my DDs are in the age range to consider it. For what it's worth I had meningitis, myself, a few years ago. It was viral. I was never hospitalized, though I was given a spinal tap in the emergency room to diagnose. It was absolutely awful. The worst I have ever felt. I was very slim when I got sick, and I lost almost twenty pounds during my illness. Several days passed where I was bedridden and insensible from the pain, just moaning and crying in between sleeping spells. I was told by my doctor that it might take a few months to fully recover. I don't think it took that long, but it was not something I snapped back from quickly.

I know bacterial is far more dangerous. I pray none of my kids ever feel that sick. Still, just fearing an illness doesn't make a vaccine a good option. I look forward to reading more responses to your questions, Kathy.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#11 of 26 Old 01-26-2014, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

So, I did a little more digging.  It turns out that Serotype B is responsible for most of the bacterial cases of meningitis we are seeing.  This is the case for the USA, Canada, and the UK.  There is no vaccine for viral meningitis, which is milder and more common.  

There is a very freshly minted Men. B inclusive vaccine available in Canada:

http://www.vaccines411.ca/en/bexsero-noc-press-release-09-dec-2013.pdf

I am not sure a vaccine with type B in it is available in the states yet (save for Princeton)

I don't know if it is widely available in Canada yet, and it looks like it may only be free until age 17.   At this point in time, largely due to the graph in post 7, I am thinking that the risks of being vax-free  (given disease prevalence) are pretty low.  

#12 of 26 Old 02-17-2014, 07:51 AM

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#13 of 26 Old 02-17-2014, 07:53 AM

&

#14 of 26 Old 02-17-2014, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Serebat - can you repost?

I am not sure if it is just me or not, but posts 12 and 13 look really weird.

#15 of 26 Old 02-17-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Serebat - can you repost?

I am not sure if it is just me or not, but posts 12 and 13 look really weird.

Not just you!

#16 of 26 Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 AM

I know!!! 

this happened before and I reported it if this post I will try again! NO CLUE what is going on!

&

#17 of 26 Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 AM

I can see it when I look at it - here goes

2nd dose!

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/02/16/princeton-offers-second-dose-of-meningitis-vaccine/

People who only received one dose of the vaccine have an increased risk of getting meningitis, because the protection provided by the first dose declines over time.

Does anyone know the time frame for the decline? I could not find that the CDC is saying what it is. So at what point are those who were vaccinated actually spreading it?

Also we know that there is no way to guarantee that all who got the first will get the 2nd, how much does this really cause the spread?

http://www.cdc.gov/meningococcal/outbreaks/vaccine-serogroupB.html Since that protection declines over time, a second dose is needed to maintain protection.

&

#18 of 26 Old 02-17-2014, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

looks good now - thanks!

#19 of 26 Old 02-17-2014, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Ok - the wording in that article is incredibly off.

"People who only received one dose of the vaccine have an increased risk of getting meningitis, because the protection provided by the first dose declines over time."

Um, what?  It almost reads like people who have one dose of the vaccine are at increased risk of getting the disease.  Increased from what?  The general public (almost all of whom have not had men b vaccine)? Increased risk from those who do not have two doses? Deliberate fear-mongering or clumsy wording?  

"Officials have said seven Princeton students and a campus visitor contracted the uncommon meningitis strain in 2013. It causes flu-like symptoms such as headache, fever, vomiting, rashes and sensitivity to light."

While men b is uncommon, period, it is one of the more common strains circulating now in the world of bacterial meningitis.

#20 of 26 Old 02-17-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Ok - the wording in that article is incredibly off.

"People who only received one dose of the vaccine have an increased risk of getting meningitis, because the protection provided by the first dose declines over time."

Um, what?  It almost reads like people who have one dose of the vaccine are at increased risk of getting the disease.  Increased from what?  The general public (almost all of whom have not had men b vaccine). increased risk from those who do not have two doses? Deliberate fear-mongerring or clumsy wording?  

"Officials have said seven Princeton students and a campus visitor contracted the uncommon meningitis strain in 2013. It causes flu-like symptoms such as headache, fever, vomiting, rashes and sensitivity to light."

While men b is uncommon, period, it is one of the more common strains circulating now in the world of bacterial meningitous.

it's an AP story so doesn't matter what news site you read it off it's the same wording

what gets me is it is what the CDC is saying - you have an increase chance of getting meningitis after you get the vaccine 1st dose if you do not get the second?? and you would have to vaccinated everyone and that has not happened here

Q: How many doses of the vaccine are needed?

A: Two doses are needed for maximum protection. The second dose should be given one to six months after the first dose (but not sooner).

Q: How long does it take to get protected after getting the first dose of the vaccine?

A: After getting the first dose of the vaccine, it will take about 2 weeks for the body’s immune system to develop enough protection (antibodies) to help prevent serogroup B meningococcal disease. Since that protection declines over time, a second dose is needed to maintain protection. It is critical that high levels of protection are achieved during an outbreak.

they also have not released (have not seen) what is currently going on with the cases - have they increased, stayed the same, declined during this time from the 1st dose until now - I would like to know

&

#21 of 26 Old 02-20-2014, 02:53 PM

this may be interesting to some - http://dailyprincetonian.com/news/2014/02/confusion-surrounding-vaccination-and-blood-drives-resolved/

Previous regulation by the Food and Drug Administration prevented students from participating in blood drives because the American Association of Blood Banks requires a 12-month deferral for donors who have received an unlicensed vaccine or a vaccine not approved by the FDA. However, the Red Cross successfully filed a Transmittal Authority document preventing the deferral and allowing students who got the meningitis vaccine to donate blood. The document was filed just in time for a blood drive that took place on campus Monday and Tuesday in Whig Hall.

It should be know, if you do not know, "most" other blood banks follow similar guidelines - but……..I know personally since my DH donates often, he has never been asked about his vaccines (lack their of) but does get about 70 other questions, he is asked if he "recently" (that is a loose term) has been out side the country. This is our local requirements, note, they only care really about smallpox. If you have donated within the prior months they skim over your paper work, unlike a person who never donated before…….something "some" might want to think about!  

http://www.giveapint.org/donate-blood/are-you-eligible-to-donate-blood.html

&

#22 of 26 Old 02-20-2014, 03:22 PM

Yes, I know. I have donated blood and they always ask about any recently received vaccinations.

I know of men in the military are told NOT to donate blood after receiving the smallpox and anthrax vaccine.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#23 of 26 Old 02-25-2014, 05:43 PM

a reaction? oh, no it can't be! http://dailyprincetonian.com/news/2014/02/princeton-suspected-of-at-least-one-serious-reaction-to-vaccine/

Although the vaccine may have had a temporal correlation with the student getting rhabdomyolysis, specialists at University Health Services and the UMCPP said they do not believe the vaccine directly caused the condition.

good thing because we are handing it out at another school too - http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2014/02/24/novartis-meningitis-vaccine-used-at-2nd-us-campus

&

#24 of 26 Old 02-25-2014, 07:40 PM

The comments under the Princeton article are interesting.

Before they go poof, I thought I'd share that one of them found several links to vaccines and Rhabdomyolysis:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jcph.145/abstract

http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/content/21/2/530.full

http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.11.2009.2485.abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23218783

Of course, someone immediately jumped in to screech that THOSE cases were due to some other vaccine, not the meningitis vaccine, so obviously it was totally impossible that meningitis vaccine could cause the same problem....banghead.gif

#25 of 26 Old 02-25-2014, 07:42 PM

Outstanding research, Taximom5!

#26 of 26 Old 02-26-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

The comments under the Princeton article are interesting.

Before they go poof, I thought I'd share that one of them found several links to vaccines and Rhabdomyolysis:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jcph.145/abstract

http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/content/21/2/530.full

http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.11.2009.2485.abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23218783

Of course, someone immediately jumped in to screech that THOSE cases were due to some other vaccine, not the meningitis vaccine, so obviously it was totally impossible that meningitis vaccine could cause the same problem....banghead.gif

NOTHING is ever connected! 

&

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page