Institutional Corruption of Pharmaceuticals and the Myth of Safe and Effective Drugs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-06-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The paper can be viewed here (pdf).

Abstract:

Over the past 35 years, patients have suffered from a largely hidden epidemic of side effects from drugs that usually have few offsetting benefits.

The pharmaceutical industry has corrupted the practice of medicine through its influence over what drugs are developed, how they are tested, and how medical knowledge is created.

Since 1906, heavy commercial influence has compromised Congressional legislation to protect the public from unsafe drugs.

The authorization of user fees in 1992 has turned drug companies into the FDA’s prime clients, deepening the regulatory and cultural capture of the agency.

Industry has demanded shorter average review times and, with less time to thoroughly review evidence, increased hospitalizations and deaths have resulted.

Meeting the needs of the drug companies has taken priority over meeting the needs of patients.

Unless this corruption of regulatory intent is reversed, the situation will continue to deteriorate. We offer practical suggestions including: separating the funding of clinical trials from their conduct, analysis, and publication: independent FDA leadership; full public funding for all FDA activities; measures to discourage R&D on drugs with few if any new clinical benefits; and the creation of a National Drug Safety Board.

BeckyBird likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#2 of 3 Old 02-06-2014, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

I see that this is published by the Journal of Law, Medicine, and Ethics.  

I hope that horrible Art Caplan (the one who seems to believe that people who don't agree to an invasive medical procedure on their healthy children should be sued) reads it.  Not that it would do much good, as I believe he is evil (like another well-known figure in history who wanted to do invasive procedures on non-consenting humans).

Better that we spread this so that those who don't know what's going on can learn.

Mirzam, applejuice and BeckyBird like this.
#3 of 3 Old 02-06-2014, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Another good text on a similar topic is Ben Goldacre's "Big Pharma". Aldo check out "Bad Science" by him.

But don't forget to read the chapters on vaccination and how corruption in big pharma does not immediately mean all vaccination programs are worthless. He's much better at explaining that than I am. smile.gif

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page