the term pro-vax - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 68 Old 02-11-2014, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

You're not making any sense and your posts are difficult to read and follow.  I choose not to engage with you any further.

:rotflmaowhat ever! clearly others can read your post and even quote you on it

you words are yours

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 68 Old 02-11-2014, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

I may be wrong, but I recall you writing a post where you wrote that a valid consequence of not vaccinating was to be denied admission to school?

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1396718/a-pediatricians-different-perspective-on-why-he-doesnt-accept-unvaccinated-children/120 post #128

In all honesty, I am very conflicted about whether I believe public schools should honor religious and philosophical exemptions.  I definitely think private schools and daycares should not have to.

that would-be  hard for many!

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#63 of 68 Old 02-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

I may be wrong, but I recall you writing a post where you wrote that a valid consequence of not vaccinating was to be denied admission to school?

I think private schools and daycares should be able to set their own policies.  I am conflicted about public schools.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#64 of 68 Old 02-12-2014, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
I just wanted to say this thread made me think. Made me realize saying "pro" something immediately makes you think "anti". I assume this is why it's prochoice, prolife (no one wants to be anti either of those things).

My username is meant as an expression of my love for science. It's not specific to my parenting choices or meant as a challenge to suggest others are antiscience, but I see now it might be taken as that.

I just looked to see if I could remove the "pro" from it to be just "sciencemum", but I don't see a place to do that. If anyone could help I will do it. smile.gif

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#65 of 68 Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 PM

I think you have to PM an admin.

#66 of 68 Old 02-12-2014, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I realize we've beaten this topic to a pulp, but I'm going to make one last stab at it. How would pro-schedule sound...as in believing in following the vaccine schedule as recommended by your country's national health agency? It sounds a tad awkward, and it may only make sense to our regular posters and lurkers. But I think it addresses a lot of the language concerns enumerated in this thread.

I'm still not sure what expression would work for me. Believe it or not, I'm constantly learning and open to following my country's schedule. It would take more rigorous research and less "post-marketing surveillance," but 100% of us need to be open to being wrong. Anyway, that's why "anti-schedule" won't fit the bill. I'm a schedule skeptic for sure, but that just rolls off the tongue awkwardly. lol.gif
rachelsmama likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#67 of 68 Old 02-12-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One of the easiest and most immediate ways to break down communication, even if unintended, is by mispronouncing someone's name or by calling them something they don't want to be called. In asking ourselves what each group should be called I very much believe it is up to the group being addressed. If the intention is communication, then this is part of the effort to keep the communication going. It may not be someone's intent, but when you call someone something they don't want to be called then the conversation is pretty much over. See how quickly this conversation went south?

So, I say this as a non-vaccinating person: What would *I* want and what is my intent? What I want is to not have a label put on me that I don't agree with. And my intent is to be heard.

At the risk of alienating my "side", I gotta be honest and say how I feel. If they don't wanna be called pro-compliance, then don't call them that. Doing so will not help the cause, it will only deepen the divide.

Carry on!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#68 of 68 Old 02-12-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

I realize we've beaten this topic to a pulp, but I'm going to make one last stab at it. How would pro-schedule sound...as in believing in following the vaccine schedule as recommended by your country's national health agency? It sounds a tad awkward, and it may only make sense to our regular posters and lurkers. But I think it addresses a lot of the language concerns enumerated in this thread.

I'm still not sure what expression would work for me. Believe it or not, I'm constantly learning and open to following my country's schedule. It would take more rigorous research and less "post-marketing surveillance," but 100% of us need to be open to being wrong. Anyway, that's why "anti-schedule" won't fit the bill. I'm a schedule skeptic for sure, but that just rolls off the tongue awkwardly. lol.gif

I don't have the visceral reaction to pro-schedule that I do to pro-compliance, but it is awkward.  I'm also not sure it's technically accurate.  I *am* pro-schedule in general, but I delayed a few vaxes.  I think many of us pro-vaxxers have done similarly.  And to be perfectly honest, I feel quite differently about a decision to put off HepB for a newborn than to skip all vaxes altogether -- both are technically off schedule, but have very different implications and motivations.

prosciencemum likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page