Fun spin off thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2014, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)

I saw this on the sel/del board and thought it would be fun to bring here.  It's pretty tense around here lately ;) 

If you HAD to choose three vaccines for your children which would you choose and why?

If you HAD to decline three vaccines which would they be and why? 

You can split up the MMR if you want. 

The three I would choose would be 

1) Pertussis- really scary for a newborn and still very prevalent. 

2) MMR- highly contagious and has scary side effects.  Pneumonia, encephalitis, blindness, deafness etc..

3) This one is hard.  It's between Polio and diphtheria. Ultimately I think I'd choose diphtheria, since the death rate is much higher than with polio. 

The three I would decline would be 

1) Chickenpox- risk of death is low

2) Hep B- I'm not a person that is in a high risk group for getting this. 

3) Rotavirus-  It's pretty unlikely that a child in the US would die from this with proper medical treatment. 

Ok... Go! 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Why can we split up the MMR if we want? That's not the reality. And I see you've split up diphtheria and pertussis. Again, not the reality.

I can't imagine a situation in which I would HAVE to allow 3 vaccines of my choosing, so I'm not going to answer, other than to say it would be the ones that were the least dangerous, and I don't know how I would determine that.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

I can't imagine a situation in which I would HAVE to allow 3 vaccines of my choosing, so I'm not going to answer

Party pooper. read.gif

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 02-09-2014, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

I'll play...but note, this does Not mean I approve of these vaccines!

If I were forced at gunpoint to choose any 3, I would choose:

Tetanus   (I'm always getting cut or scratched)

Rabies    (Sometimes I deal with animals that might have had rabies, and I also raise fancy chickens)

Meningococcal  (because it's scary)

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 02-09-2014, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Are we talking diseases or vaccines?

If I was choosing vaccines I would go

1. Diphtheria/tetanus/pertussis. Primarily for the Tetanus but there was one diphtheria death in Australia the year before last and we work with lots of travellers.
2. MMR. Partly because of measles ( and it has one of the best uptake rates) and partly because I think rubella immunity is important for women of child-bearing age and I have two girls.
3. Meningococcal. I agree, it's a scary disease.

The three I wouldn't get are:
1. Hep B. We are low risk and DH and I are vaccinated.
2. Rota virus. Healthy children, access to great health care, it's unlikely to be more than miserable for a week or so.
3. Chicken pox. Because it's usually mild.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 02-09-2014, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
I pretty much go with what katielove says.

Actually my youngest has not had those 3 anyway - not on the schedule in the uk. Oldest had 2 of them (and a nasty case of rotavirus like illness which put her on a fluid drip - no lab confirmation). Even so rotavirus is rare, and in the developed world unlikely to be fatal.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Tea - I would edit the title of the thread to be more descriptive. Not everyone idea of fun is the same. smile.gif

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)

I am not doing any.  I do think the case is better for some than others, though.

measles - it is highly contagious and has a complication rate beyond my comfort level.  I am not thrilled with the reaction rate of MMR, though, and would delay until 3 years.

meningococcal -scary stuff

Polio - highly contagious and a complication rate beyond my comfort level.

I will add that I think pneumococal might be a good idea for those who struggle with chest issues, and that I would consider both rubella and chicken pox for older female teens (actually, they can decide for themselves) if either is endemic, for fetal protection.  Chickenpox is endemic, rubella is not.

Vaccines there is a poor case for, IMHO, where I live:

Hep b in infants.  Repeat after me:  the risks of hep. b in an infant whose mother does not have  Hep. B are almost nil.  

Rotavirus in breastfed infants from wealthy countries.  The risks are just so very low.  The risk from vaccine (intusception, at 1/250 000 per dose) is much scarier to me.

HPV.  I will wait til they sort out how long it is good for and if there is anything to all those reported adverse reactions, thanks.  I am reassured that pap smears are still the way to go in terms of early detection.

and for extra bonus points: flu and pertussis.  

flu:  if I need to get a shot 50-100 times to prevent one case of the flu, I will just take my chances with the flu.  I know the flu can kill in rare cases (rare as defined by case:fatality) but I just cannot see myself going to the doctor or clinic year after year after year to prevent 1 or 2 cases of flu in my lifetime.  I will take my chances (and it is not like sitting in a waiting room full of sick people is devoid of chance).

pertussis:  changing dominant strains, low efficacy, low duration of effectiveness, people getting the disease, not knowing they have it due to vaccination and wandering around transmitting pertussis - there is a lot to hate about how the pertussis vaccine is working at the moment.  I can tell you that if I were facing my reproductive years, I would prefer to get pertussis, with the solid longer lasting immunity it would confer.   I could then pass on some immunity through birth and breastfeeding, as well as know that would not be the one to give my infant pertussis. 

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 02-09-2014, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

I'll play...but note, this does Not mean I approve of these vaccines!

If I were forced at gunpoint to choose any 3, I would choose:

Tetanus   (I'm always getting cut or scratched)

Rabies    (Sometimes I deal with animals that might have had rabies, and I also raise fancy chickens)

Meningococcal  (because it's scary)

Becky!  You missed the most fun part.

3 vaccine you are most in favour of declining and why.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 02-09-2014, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

For my DS the three I would choose if I could only choose 3 would be: 

DTAP- mainly for pertussis

HIB- because that is scary to me

MMR- because of the high rate of complications with Measles and the fact that it is still around.  Also mumps can cause infertility in males who acquire it after puberty

Those I would decline if I HAD to:

HPV- I have a boy which makes it easier, and I am not completely sure I will do HPV when the time comes for it.

Chickenpox- because the complication rates are low and in reality it is a vaccine for the convenience and economic needs of parents in the US more than the health benefits of children.

Flu Shot- because I live in a country where the flu can be treated fairly easily and my child isn't in school yet so his exposure to flu is smaller.  I would decline Flu over Rota primarily because I had Rotavirus as an adult (around 22ish) and I had never been so sick.  Apparently it is is harsher in adults and it is such a vivd memory I almost break into cold sweats when I think about it.  I have and the flu as well, I would rather have influenza than rota (but as an added benefit I don't think I CAN get rota again at least I hope)

Old 02-09-2014, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)

Well, to play along I would have to make the conclusion that vaccine work in preventing the vaccine available diseases, and there has been absolutely not proof that is the case. However, not to be a bad support, here goes:

HIB - not because of the disease but because it is probably not as reactive as other vaccines

IPV - not because of the disease but also because it's low reactivity

Now I am scratching around for a third, I guess I will say tetanus, not because I am afraid to getting it, but I need to ad another vaccine to the list, so if they had a thimerosal-free version I would have that.

As for the vaccines I would never have, all the rest. But here's my bottom three:

HPV - unacceptable adverse events, unacceptable ingredients, no proof of efficacy and very short duration of "immunity", so you get all the cons and very little pros.

Flu - virtually useless

DTaP/TDap etc - also a pretty useless vaccine which creates an ineffective immune response to b.pertussis.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 02-09-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Bah!  I completely forgot about Hib!  I may have to add that to my top three list.   Interesting responses so far guys :) 

Old 02-09-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

And I see you've split up diphtheria and pertussis. Again, not the reality.

You can split them up in a sense if you go with dT/DT instead of DTaP. No chance of a separate P vaccine obviously, but there is the option for people who don't want the DTaP combo to break it up a fraction more.

Oh and I answered this already in S&D so won't repeat it here. :)

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   nearly 10 years old; DS  6.5 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Old 02-09-2014, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I thought about posting this here, too!

If I had to choose 3 vaccines for my kids (and I'm splitting them up however I want, even though it's not the reality!)

1. Diptheria. When my daughter first had her reaction, I read every CDC pink book on the VPDs, and this is the one that scared me the most.

2. Polio (IPV). Though I feel the risk of contracting is low, there can be lifelong complications. My grandmother had it. :(

3. Tetanus. Or for my teenage kids, the MMR.

Bottom three:

1. Rotavirus. Its not typically dangerous in developed countries, we have access to medical care, and my children aren't in daycare, which is where most outbreaks occur.

2. Chicken pox. Please. I lived it. All my friends lived it, and no amount of fear mongering will make me scared of chicken pox. My kids have a book from the 80s called, "itchy itchy chicken pox". It wasn't feared until there was a vaccine. Most of my pro-vax friends think this vaccine is stupid as well.

3. I'm torn between flu and pertussis. I think pertussis wins out because it's ineffective and may very well be contributing to the outbreaks rather than preventing them, and it's one of the more reactive vaccines. It's a close call though.

Um, I totally forgot about Hep B. Totally useless for newborns if the mom doesn't have it. So, I will add the MMR (for teenagers) to the top list and Hep B to the bottom.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

Old 02-10-2014, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think we shouldn't split Vaxes that don't exist as split Vaxes. Just FTR.

Prenatal Tdap makes a ton of sense to me because of the vulnerability of 0-2 month olds.

I am torn between Hib & Pc. It actually looks to me like there are more severe cases of Pc. Am I wrong there? Hib is sorta a freebie though: no aluminum or animal/human cells & not that reactive.

Flu was on my list because the Mist is available AND it actually is right around. Plus it does kill, seemingly sorta randomly.

MMR is on an as needed basis, Measles is SUPER reportable, I feel like one could reasonably see it coming. The media has a field day when it comes around. So the risk of being the first one in your state to contract it seems lower than the risk of contracting it at all. I feel like a reasonable strategy would be to get that one if there was a remote chance of exposure. I still think it is problematic (reactiony) plus has those human cells. Anyone is free to disagree.

Bottom Three are:
IPV, Rota, Varicella

HepB would be on there except it IS a survivor on surfaces, etc.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think Polio being on the top lists is more emotional than sciencey. JMO? But it is not only eradicated in the US, it is eradicated in India too.

User Tag List