Do I need to vax for my child to attend school? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 02-15-2014, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I'm a little uneducated in the whole vaccination debate. While I'm not against ALL vaccinations, I feel that the flu, and chicken pox vaccine are completely unneccesary and do not want my little one to have to get just ANOTHER shot, when she really doesn't need to. With that being said, will this hold my child back from attending public school? I live in PA if that helps.

#2 of 56 Old 02-15-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

PA has a religious exemption, you write a letter stating your (personal or larger doctrinal) religious problem with vaccines and submit that instead of vax records.

applejuice likes this.
#3 of 56 Old 02-15-2014, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Pennsylvania exemption law for school

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/028/chapter23/s23.84.html (religious and philosophical)

Pennsylvania exemption law for childcare

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/028/chapter27/s27.77.html (just religious)

applejuice likes this.
#4 of 56 Old 02-15-2014, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

No.

http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements/pennsylvania.aspx

There are plenty of Amish in your state who do not vaccinate, so yes there are exemptions.

serenbat likes this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#5 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
I'm curious if "feeling chickenpox and flu vaccines aren 't worth it" (sic) would count as a strongly help religious or moral belief against vaccines. Does it?
chickabiddy and rainbownurse like this.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#6 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Typically, you cannot pick and choose some vaccines with public school admission. You can get a waiver in most states, against all vaccines; or you can get the required vaccinations. I don't think any states allow waivers from only certain vaccines. 

Some private schools don't require vaccines. Some private schools allow no waivers. It's up to them.

Required vaxes also depends on the age of the child. Typically, flu isn't required, only recommended. Chicken pox is usually required over 12 months old. 

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#7 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitMom View Post

Typically, you cannot pick and choose some vaccines with public school admission. You can get a waiver in most states, against all vaccines; or you can get the required vaccinations. I don't think any states allow waivers from only certain vaccines. 

Some private schools don't require vaccines. Some private schools allow no waivers. It's up to them.

Required vaxes also depends on the age of the child. Typically, flu isn't required, only recommended. Chicken pox is usually required over 12 months old. 

I think is true, hopefully a selective/delayer will weigh in.

Anyone can have a change of heart and refuse vaccines going forward, so I see two routes:

1.  get the vaccines you want, delay the ones you don't, and have your change of heart after you get the vaccines you desire.  This is probably the easiest way to go for those who are only avoiding a few.

2.  File your paper work with the school board, and get whatever vaccines you want.  The school will think you don't have vaccines that you do, but, meh, so what?  The only time it could possibly be an issue is in an outbreak. I think people being asked to leave school during an outbreak due to there vaccine status is extrememly uncommon.  Make sure you opt out of vaccine registries so there is no possible sharing of info (I don't know if this happnes - but why take a chance?)

I found this link which has some info:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1000612/helpwith-religious-exemption-and-selective-vaccination

swede likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#8 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

I'm curious if "feeling chickenpox and flu vaccines aren 't worth it" (sic) would count as a strongly help religious or moral belief against vaccines. Does it?

Oh, I doubt it.  She needs to look up proper wording that also feels right to her and use it.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#9 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Also each state has their own mandatory requirements. IDK personally about PA. But in my state, the "recommended" is not the same as what's actually *required*

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#10 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Oh, I doubt it.  She needs to look up proper wording that also feels right to her and use it.  

If she doesn't have a sincerely held religious belief, she shouldn't manufacture one.  "Not worth it" is not really a deeply and sincerely held spiritual belief.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#11 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnicole219 View Post

Hi, I'm a little uneducated in the whole vaccination debate. While I'm not against ALL vaccinations, I feel that the flu, and chicken pox vaccine are completely unneccesary and do not want my little one to have to get just ANOTHER shot, when she really doesn't need to. With that being said, will this hold my child back from attending public school? I live in PA if that helps.

I am also in PA and on the other side, you may wish to do a bit more letter writing to you State Senate Representative http://articles.philly.com/2013-05-10/news/39144680_1_child-abuse-neglect-first-century-gospel

You should be deeply concerned about what Paul Offit is pushing for PA residents and his deep involvement with Senate Bill 20 http://aging.pasenategop.com/files/2013/06/offit.pdf this will directly effect you and many other parents here in PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

If she doesn't have a sincerely held religious belief, she shouldn't manufacture one.  "Not worth it" is not really a deeply and sincerely held spiritual belief.

Since the decision is not your to make lets remember it's legal and she does have every legal right to it!

swede likes this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#12 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Filing an exemption to get out of having any requirement at all and then selectively vaxing can get you in a whole heap of trouble.  If you choose to do this, for sure opt out of the PA registry.  To be extra sure, you may consider crossing the border to another state to get the vaxes.  

Disclaimer:  We no longer vax at all.  Ds2 is totally vax-free.

applejuice likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
#13 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Oh, I think *she* can decide for herself what to do based on her moral code.

#14 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:

Oh, I think *she* can decide for herself what to do based on her moral code.

This. We are not the moral police here.

serenbat, swede, Taximom5 and 1 others like this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#15 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 08:41 AM

Interesting.  In the doctor thread, vaccine critics were arguing that even though it was legal, it was not ethical for a doctor to refuse to see non-vaccinating families.  Now vaccine critics are sticking to the letter of the law and ignoring possible ethical grey areas.  I actually don't believe it should be legal to lie about a deeply held religious belief.

#16 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:

Interesting.  In the doctor thread, vaccine critics were arguing that even though it was legal, it was not ethical for a doctor to refuse to see non-vaccinating families.  Now vaccine critics are sticking to the letter of the law and ignoring possible ethical grey areas.  I actually don't believe it should be legal to lie about a deeply held religious belief.

How would you do it? I know of no "religious" person that has their beliefs set in stone, even the Pope seems to be evolving.

Are you morally above the rest of us that you could device a way to do this?

How would someone go about dissecting your moral beliefs?

According to what you have written, you also don't follow the letter of the law, you delay that in it self can alter in certain states their criteria.

Mirzam likes this.

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#17 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 08:49 AM

I do follow the letter of the law:  all delays were either before school age or vaccines that were not required for school.

#18 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 08:50 AM

And the OP has stated that she doesn't feel the vaccines are "worth it".  That's not religion.  I guess there's no way for the law to know for sure, but it doesn't paint vaccine critics in the best light to suggest that she lie on an official document.

prosciencemum likes this.

#19 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:

I do follow the letter of the law:  all delays were either before school age or vaccines that were not required for school.

And what happens if the law is unjust? There are plenty of ridiculous laws on the the books, are we so mindless that we should follow authority regardless?

youngmom89 likes this.

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#20 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:

and?

At best you can say that people play the ethics card when it is their side and don't when it is not.  Even that is stretching it a bit, but whatever. 

Personally, I would be more comfortable if we started a thread on religious exemptions (oh, how I could wax over what is a religous exemption and the ethics of having to choose between homeschooling, vaccination or lying on a form (I think *few* people out and out lie…that is another waxing point)) rather than co-opt this thread where a mother is looking for advice.  I wish she had posted this on sel/delayed. 

applejuice likes this.

#21 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:

And the OP has stated that she doesn't feel the vaccines are "worth it".  That's not religion.  I guess there's no way for the law to know for sure, but it doesn't paint vaccine critics in the best light to suggest that she lie on an official document.

funny, many vaccine "supports" on here mention how they delay - if you really believe in them, you should not be delaying them, those in the know (CDC,etc) don't support do that yet we read it here ALL the time about it being done

over and over we hear how if you "delay" you are putting your child and other at risk - doesn't paint vaccine supporter in the best light!  :lol 

3lilchunklins likes this.

&

#22 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

funny, many vaccine "supports" on here mention how they delay - if you really believe in them, you should not be delaying them, those in the know (CDC,etc) don't support do that yet we read it here ALL the time about it being done

over and over we hear how if you "delay" you are putting your child and other at risk - doesn't paint vaccine supports in the best light!  :lol 

Reminds me of a few stories on voicesforvaccines - where they delayed but are advocating others don't. 

Mirzam and serenbat like this.

#23 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:

and?

At best you can say that people play the ethics card when it is their side and don't when it is not.  Even that is stretching it a bit, but whatever. 

Personally, I would be more comfortable if we started a thread on religious exemptions (oh, how I could wax over what is a religous exemption and the ethics of having to choose between homeschooling, vaccination or lying on a form (I think *few* people out and out lie…that is another waxing point)) rather than co-opt this thread where a mother is looking for advice.  I wish she had posted this on sel/delayed. 

yes and let's pick who's religion is BEST while we are at it!

one can say that certain religions trump other! ah, what a can of worms to open!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

&

#24 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Reminds me of a few stories on voicesforvaccines - where they delayed but are advocating others don't. 

Even our local rep for V4V admitting delaying vaccines, of course now she sees the error of her ways (nevermind her child did not contract any of the life-threatening diseases they are suppose to prevent). But of course with her next baby she will do them ALL on schedule like a good mommy.

applejuice likes this.

#25 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

(nevermind her child did not contract any of the life-threatening diseases they are suppose to prevent).

OH, boy!  It is that herd immunity thing at work! NOT!

serenbat likes this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#26 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 09:12 AM

And OP, flu shots are not required for school attendance in Pennsylvania, so your only concern is the chickenpox.  You could have titers drawn to see if your child is already immune.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/028/chapter23/s23.83.html

#27 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:

From the link posted by applejuice: 

Pennsylvania

State Vaccine Requirements

Posted Date: November 27, 2012

Quick Fact: Children need not be immunized if the parent, guardian or emancipated child objects in writing to the immunization on religious grounds or on the basis of a strong moral or ethical conviction similar to a religious belief.

If the OP feels that the possible benefits of flu and chickenpox vaccines are not worth the risk they'd pose to her child, isn't that a strong moral or ethical conviction similar to a religious belief?  How on earth would that be considered a lie?

What are the ethical ramifications of a for-profit industry recommending an invasive medical procedure that some people feel are not worth the risk?

As long as you are bringing up the issue of lying, at what point might you consider it acceptable to lie to avoid having your child harmed by an invasive medical procedure whose mandate was brought about by lies?

#28 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

(Posted by someone who did not receive flu shots while pregnant, and whose children did not receive chicken pox vaccine, hep B, or flu vaccines at the ages currently recommended by the CDC.)

applejuice and serenbat like this.
#29 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

(Posted by someone who did not receive flu shots while pregnant, and whose children did not receive chicken pox vaccine, hep B, or flu vaccines at the ages currently recommended by the CDC.)

and it should be noted for the OP - this poster that Taximom5 quoted ( prosciencemum) is in the UK, not here and dealing with these US issues

applejuice likes this.

&

#30 of 56 Old 02-16-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Chickabiddy, are you seriously and with a straight face accusing the OP of contemplating lying about a religious exemption?? duh.gif

She may not have worded it to your satisfaction. But this is an MDC thread, not the exemption form itself. PA law is pretty clear that she doesn't have to belong to a particular
organized group or even believe in God to file the exemption so long as her conviction is strong. And by the time somebody is researching how to file an exemption, they're pretty damn strong and sincere in their beliefs.

I'm pretty confident that she can be the judge of her own sincerity.

By the way, no God I believe in would have me submit to the ridiculousness of routine early childhood varicella vaccination. smile.gifduck.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page