No idea where to start learning. Feeling so judged I created a new MDC name! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2014, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi moms and dads. 

I've been a member of the forums here for well over 3 years, but I want to start fresh. Recently I've gotten in a lot of squabbles with other moms that have made me feel (as an expat) that I am bringing all of my home countries deceases into their country (both 1st world countries). 

I have an 1½ year old that has not been vaccinated at all. My mother never vaccinated me, and it was never a thought to vaccinate my own child because this is what I knew and grew up with. I home birthed and my child has never even been to a doctor's office. 

That said, I travel with my toddler often (something my mother did not do with me) and I need to know that I am making the right choice, or correct it if I'm not. Why should I vaccinate, especially if I myself am not vaxed? Are we really the problem of the world, carrying the deceases all over the place as several have claimed? I don't have easy access to buying books, but online articles and personal advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel incredibly overwhelmed by all the information out there and with everyone having "credible sources" it all seems like none of it out-qualifies the other. 

Thanks in advance you all, let's please please please keep this a judgement free thread as I am trying to become more informed. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
I would strongly recommend you not *only* research online, but if that's all you have access to you can find the non-vax viewpoint well represented. For pro-vax viewpoints trying looking up "Voices for Vaccines", or "Nurses who vaccinate". The who and your national health organization will give you the mainstream (read backed up by the most scientific evidence) view also.

Just read everything sceptically. And my advice is that in today's world where the majority of people are vaccinated so VPDs are rare (as long as you live away from areas with endemic polio or measles) either choice is likely to be very safe.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Start by looking at vaccines one at a time- learn about the diseases and the vaccines- read the CDC pink books, the vaccine package inserts, etc. Familiarize yourself with the ones on the childhood schedule in the places you travel- be aware of any outbreaks (MMWR??). It is hard to wade through all the data, that's for sure. Stick around here and read any threads that pique your interest. I think there are some very intelligent ladies here (on both "sides"), and you can find links to lots of studies.

Do you have any questions about any specific diseases?

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

Old 02-20-2014, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetolearn View Post

Hi moms and dads. 

I've been a member of the forums here for well over 3 years, but I want to start fresh. Recently I've gotten in a lot of squabbles with other moms that have made me feel (as an expat) that I am bringing all of my home countries deceases into their country (both 1st world countries). 

I have an 1½ year old that has not been vaccinated at all. My mother never vaccinated me, and it was never a thought to vaccinate my own child because this is what I knew and grew up with. I home birthed and my child has never even been to a doctor's office. 

That said, I travel with my toddler often (something my mother did not do with me) and I need to know that I am making the right choice, or correct it if I'm not. Why should I vaccinate, especially if I myself am not vaxed? Are we really the problem of the world, carrying the deceases all over the place as several have claimed? I don't have easy access to buying books, but online articles and personal advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel incredibly overwhelmed by all the information out there and with everyone having "credible sources" it all seems like none of it out-qualifies the other. 

Thanks in advance you all, let's please please please keep this a judgement free thread as I am trying to become more informed. 

somehow you made it this far being unvaccinated! 

RE-:w

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 02-20-2014, 05:55 PM

I am wondering if I know you? If not then it's crazy timing as a friend of mine from my last MDC DDC is experiencing a very similar situation.

As I replied to her (in summary) Vaccination is an incredibly polarizing topic. These days it seems more than ever to be the case. So if you are looking to revisit your vaccine decisions for your baby, that's great if it's for yourself. However if you are only considering it to appease others, try to fight through that peer pressure if you can. There are so many high profile viewpoints on both sides, and going around Facebook. Many of these parents might have been scared by a recent article with a sensationalist title and taking their fear frustration out on you.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
Old 02-20-2014, 06:00 PM

I would say the CDC pink book (it's available online) was a great resource for me. It's pretty fact based only--you can learn about prevalence of the VPD, facts about the severity of catching the VPD, vaccine effectiveness, and most anything else (though they don't give too much space to vaccine reactions on there.)

Sites like Voices for Vaccination, etc would not be ones I recommend to initially look at first. They are very pro vaccination and have a strong agenda. Later on if you want a good strong viewpoint site, perhaps look at VfV and also the NVIC as an anti-vax counterpoint. (I think the NVIC has great fact based info, but much that's on there can be found in the Pink Book minus the bias of the NVIC itself.). Web sources without bias are extremely hard to find.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)

User Tag List