mthfr mutation and vaccines - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-21-2014, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)

So, I was reading elsewhere where someone said that MTHFR mutations were very common ( A quick google check shows this to be very true) and that those with MTHFR mutations should not be vaccinated.  

Does anybody know anything about this?

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#2 of 9 Old 02-23-2014, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

MTHFR is not something I've looked into but I need to.  Because it effects folate/folic acid absorption, it is implicated in mid-line defects like tongue tie & lip tie (my oldest & youngest have both, my middle child is just tongue tied).  My oldest had all the recommended vax's until age 2.  I did not know she was tongue tied until she was about 10, as no medical or other professional ever said anything about her tongue.  I knew about her lip tie.  

It wouldn't surprise me at all if MTHFR is a contraindication for receiving a vaccination.  Anything that alters in an artificial way like vaccination does has the potential to mess up stuff that is already fragile or not correct.  It wouldn't surprise me if this is related to my oldest's issues.

One more reason I need to open this can of worms.  When I'm not so chronically swamped to overwhelmed, I will.  But, to answer your question, no I don't know much, unfortunately.

Sus

ETA: this guy is highly regarded in the exploration of MTHFR: http://mthfr.net/  Most of his live stuff seems to be for health professionals only, but I think he makes it available after the fact to others.  

applejuice likes this.

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#3 of 9 Old 02-23-2014, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

MTHFR is not something I've looked into but I need to.  Because it effects folate/folic acid absorption, it is implicated in mid-line defects like tongue tie & lip tie (my oldest & youngest have both, my middle child is just tongue tied).  My oldest had all the recommended vax's until age 2.  I did not know she was tongue tied until she was about 10, as no medical or other professional ever said anything about her tongue.  I knew about her lip tie.  

It wouldn't surprise me at all if MTHFR is a contraindication for receiving a vaccination.  Anything that alters in an artificial way like vaccination does has the potential to mess up stuff that is already fragile or not correct.  It wouldn't surprise me if this is related to my oldest's issues.

One more reason I need to open this can of worms.  When I'm not so chronically swamped to overwhelmed, I will.  But, to answer your question, no I don't know much, unfortunately.

Sus

ETA: this guy is highly regarded in the exploration of MTHFR: http://mthfr.net/  Most of his live stuff seems to be for health professionals only, but I think he makes it available after the fact to others.  

Wow.  I have a lip tie.  My youngest had a midline defect (she is all good now!)  

Guess who has two autistic nephews?  

I know this could be coincidence - but it is definitely an area for exploration.

Thanks for posting!

K.

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 9 Old 03-05-2014, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Lip and tongue tie here - went 30 years before being told I have both.  I was nursed for 6wks then my mother stopped bc it was too painful - DD also tongue tied but only slightly and I've had zero issues nursing her (28mos and still going).  Not only does it affect folic acid and b12 absorption, but also how your body detoxes so you tend to hold onto toxins longer.  I did the 23andme genetic test and have yet to import the raw data to the MTHFR site for my ND to analyze, but between the ties, Gilbert's syndrome (elevated bilirubin aka inability to self detox), lifelong anxiety, gluten/dairy sensitivities, and marked improvement taking a methyl b-12 supplement, it's almost a guarantee for me.

Now I can't remember off the top of my head the site and I don't think I saved it BUT it is mentioned somewhere via a link on the MTHFR support site that this is almost certainly epigenetic.  That's why we are seeing more cases of it.  Particularly what stood out for me was that in the 23and me testing (which I did just prior to the FDA putting the kibosh on things) I should have zero issues with dairy, and yet I test intolerant.  So obviously something has caused that to happen.  Was it vaccines? Was it the formula I had as a baby?  Was it GMO's or chemicals in the food?  Who knows, I'm sure some combination of all of the above.

DD is already "at risk" because both DH and I have dairy/gluten sensitivity (she's tested sensitive as well) and another factor is ethnicity - according to one study I had read (again, one I read on a tangent day and didn't think to save the link) it has a much higher rate of occurrence in Germans, and it was either Danes or Norwegians along with 2 others - but DH is German, I'm Danish/Norwegian, so if that's a "risk factor" DD is right up there.  I haven't given her any OTC meds and she certainly doesn't appear to suffer the sever social anxieties that I did, but we also stopped vaxxing her at 5 mos and I'm hopeful that it will make a difference.

Thus far I've moved to a gluten/dairy/soy free diet, I take my methyl b-12 when I feel either run down or overwhelmed (which was every day the first 2 or 3mos but lately I can go a few days and not feel quite so anxious) and I have a gluten/casein digestive enzyme I can take if I go out and am not 100% certain of what's in the food.  I try and remember my probiotics and need to be better about that. We don't vax anymore and I avoid OTC meds like the plague because even a children's Benadryl will render me unconscious for almost 24hours because my body just can filter it out!

#5 of 9 Old 03-05-2014, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is Gilbert's related to MTHFR? I have Gilbert's (I feel like a freak explaining my billirubin lab results to doctors who haven't heard of it). I'm just starting to learn about MTHFR. How does one test?

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#6 of 9 Old 03-05-2014, 07:00 PM

When I was at the ND going through my history, the Gilbert's was the tipping point that made her stop and say "I think you have MTHFR". I don't know that many people with Gilbert's but then again I'm not sure how common it is to even test for.  You have to get tested for MTHFR, the only one I know about is 2 part - you go through 23andme.com to determine your genetic make up, it's $99 and takes a few weeks for them to analyze a saliva sample and notify you via email.  Then you can take the raw data from the 23 and me site and you import it to http://www.mthfrsupport.com/, (another $20) and there's a section on there to analyze the data where you print something out and brig it to an ND or other practitioner familiar with the results who will further analyze the data.  I've yet to do the upload and follow up with my ND because I haven't felt quite so crappy, but at some point I will just to get a definitive answer.  There is something that they can do regular blood work for but mine came back like they botched it and swapped my blood for someone else thus why she wanted me to do the 23andme and really confirm things.

#7 of 9 Old 03-05-2014, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

Lip and tongue tie here - went 30 years before being told I have both.  I was nursed for 6wks then my mother stopped bc it was too painful - DD also tongue tied but only slightly and I've had zero issues nursing her (28mos and still going).  Not only does it affect folic acid and b12 absorption, but also how your body detoxes so you tend to hold onto toxins longer.  I did the 23andme genetic test and have yet to import the raw data to the MTHFR site for my ND to analyze, but between the ties, Gilbert's syndrome (elevated bilirubin aka inability to self detox), lifelong anxiety, gluten/dairy sensitivities, and marked improvement taking a methyl b-12 supplement, it's almost a guarantee for me.

Now I can't remember off the top of my head the site and I don't think I saved it BUT it is mentioned somewhere via a link on the MTHFR support site that this is almost certainly epigenetic.  That's why we are seeing more cases of it.  Particularly what stood out for me was that in the 23and me testing (which I did just prior to the FDA putting the kibosh on things) I should have zero issues with dairy, and yet I test intolerant.  So obviously something has caused that to happen.  Was it vaccines? Was it the formula I had as a baby?  Was it GMO's or chemicals in the food?  Who knows, I'm sure some combination of all of the above.

DD is already "at risk" because both DH and I have dairy/gluten sensitivity (she's tested sensitive as well) and another factor is ethnicity - according to one study I had read (again, one I read on a tangent day and didn't think to save the link) it has a much higher rate of occurrence in Germans, and it was either Danes or Norwegians along with 2 others - but DH is German, I'm Danish/Norwegian, so if that's a "risk factor" DD is right up there.  I haven't given her any OTC meds and she certainly doesn't appear to suffer the sever social anxieties that I did, but we also stopped vaxxing her at 5 mos and I'm hopeful that it will make a difference.

Thus far I've moved to a gluten/dairy/soy free diet, I take my methyl b-12 when I feel either run down or overwhelmed (which was every day the first 2 or 3mos but lately I can go a few days and not feel quite so anxious) and I have a gluten/casein digestive enzyme I can take if I go out and am not 100% certain of what's in the food.  I try and remember my probiotics and need to be better about that. We don't vax anymore and I avoid OTC meds like the plague because even a children's Benadryl will render me unconscious for almost 24hours because my body just can filter it out!

Did you or do you plan to have your DD's tongue revised?  I've read enough & have experienced enough w/ my TT'd children to now believe that it's not in anyone's best interest to live w/ it.  I can share more over PM if you're interested.

Also, would you PM me any links you think are good on learning about MTHFR & all that's associated w/ it?  Like I'd said, I haven't delved into this but I think I need to start.  I'm also curious on the supplements you take.  I've no idea about any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

Is Gilbert's related to MTHFR? I have Gilbert's (I feel like a freak explaining my billirubin lab results to doctors who haven't heard of it). I'm just starting to learn about MTHFR. How does one test?

Like Sassy said, you can have blood work done but my understanding is that there is only a certain number of types that can be found using regular blood work (I'm thinking two).  There has been many posts on the one food allergy yahoo group I'm on called foodlab.  You could probably join saying you were interested in just that or just interested in allergies/intolerances/sensitivities/etc.

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#8 of 9 Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

Did you or do you plan to have your DD's tongue revised?  I've read enough & have experienced enough w/ my TT'd children to now believe that it's not in anyone's best interest to live w/ it.  I can share more over PM if you're interested.

Also, would you PM me any links you think are good on learning about MTHFR & all that's associated w/ it?  Like I'd said, I haven't delved into this but I think I need to start.  I'm also curious on the supplements you take.  I've no idea about any of them.

Like Sassy said, you can have blood work done but my understanding is that there is only a certain number of types that can be found using regular blood work (I'm thinking two).  There has been many posts on the one food allergy yahoo group I'm on called foodlab.  You could probably join saying you were interested in just that or just interested in allergies/intolerances/sensitivities/etc.

Best wishes,

Sus

I may have her TT reversed, I've never had it officially looked at, just something I noticed on my own after a talk with my friend who does speech pathology - but bc she's qualified I might just have her take a look next time we hang out and get her opinion on what level it is and go from there.  My chiropractor, who sees the same ND as me with her twins, had her girls snipped 2x, both times it grew back with more tissue, so she started to use a homeopathic stretch mark/scar tissue remedy from the ND and the ties began to reverse and remain that way so if I do opt to take action that would be my plan.  This is a good site about the issues related to tongue and lip ties (many of which I've had) and is what I've been watching for with DD: http://www.tonguetie.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3

I can say I've experienced zero of the infant category with her and so far at 28mos none of the childhood issues, and no gaps in her baby teeth to suggest it's affecting her palate and jaw shape.  On the other hand I've had the issues of not being able to open my jaw enough to eat something like a burger without it clicking and popping (although regular chiro visits make the clicking go away) and constant migraines (which I've finally gotten to stop by going gluten free along with my chiro visits) along with major teeth grinding as a child and into my teens...again something chiro has stopped.  Anything else I might be missing let me know! 

As for the MTHFR...

http://mthfr.net/ - which you did link to, that's one of the first places I went when I found out about MTHFR, some good stuff, lots of it changes as more info becomes available.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2500045/ - slightly more technical jargon

http://mthfr.net/mthfr-c677t-mutation-basic-protocol/2012/02/24/ - this is on the mthfr.net site but it's a rundown of a generic protocol for treatment, it's a bit long but it's a nice starting point for what to eliminate or at least reduce and an idea of some of the supplements that may be helpful and why.

I was given this methyl B12 from the ND, same price from her too but this is where I ordered from afterwards: http://www.iherb.com/Protocol-for-Life-Balance-Methyl-B12-5-000-mcg-60-Lozenges/23046#p=4&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=methyl%20b%2012&rc=1431&sr=null&ic=96  It's gluten/dairy/soy basically everything free.  I've grabbed what I can at CVS or Rite Aid in a pinch but it is a bit harder to find the methyl B12 in stores than online although I'm sure places like Whole Foods carry them too.

I did have DD tested by the ND for a specific probiotic bc she's been so sensitive to things and the one that works for her is Therbiotic Chewables, we switched her to chewables at 2 from the Therbiotic Infant powder bc it became easier to give her a pill than trying to mix powder into something.  And actually she can swallow small pills and I might look into getting her on a swallowable more potent variety in the near future.  http://www.klaire.com/prod/proddetail.asp?id=K-TCC

I'm working off a bottle of Kyo-Dophilus probiotics that I had on hand and when I get around to visiting the ND again I'll prob have her test me against a few different ones to see if there's a better option for me or if I'm ok taking that.  Right now that's all I do in terms of supplements for the MTHFR.  Anything else is more generic health.  I went dairy free when DD was born (shortly after) to help her intolerance issues, and the added gluten free has made a huge difference after an initial detoxing phase the first month....like my body really cleaned house!!  I've always had bad skin, but my face was horrible on and off for about 3 months, then finally leveled off....like peeling and itching, and rashes and I'd itch it in my sleep and wake up oozing, and I'd just get it moisturized enough and it would start all over again, it was horrible!!!  BUT, I've been clear the last...2months?  Maybe more at this point, and even my acne has been almost zero which at 30 I've still battled and this is probably the first time in my life it has not been an issue, so I can happily say that taking the methyl B12 is the only change other than the GF diet and now that my body can expel toxins it's made a big difference.

DD does suffer from "baby acne", always has, which makes me think she might also have the methylation issues and I will be inquiring about when she can take to help with that because even being on a restricted diet and no longer vaxxing, we do our best to avoid chemicals but obviously we don't live in a bubble so I want to be sure her body doesn't begin to store toxins while she's so young.

applejuice likes this.
#9 of 9 Old 03-13-2014, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Wow!  Great thread!

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/MTHFR

My family has vaccine reactions dating back to the early 1900s, both sides. 

My sister and my daughter have a spinal bifida occulta, thyroid problems abound, and acne and baby acne.

Thank you.

Chicharronita likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page