Filing a Religious Exemption Ethically - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 70 Old 02-26-2014, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
 "religious enough"

That is how the Inquisition started, isn't it? - Or the medieval witch trials? Quite a steep, slippery slope!

serenbat likes this.
#62 of 70 Old 02-26-2014, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

That is how the Inquisition started, isn't it? - Or the medieval witch trials? Quite a steep, slippery slope!

yes and how about what we did in this country with religion in the past as well! 

it is a slope, some are out their greasing the slope, others just want to watch, some look away and put their head in the sand and a few brave one are going after the greasers! 

applejuice likes this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#63 of 70 Old 02-26-2014, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)

I am against exemptions for schools.  Anyone of any vax status should be able to go to school.

As someone who is not religious, I dislike states that have religious exemptions without philosophical exemptions. I especially dislike them when they are tightly written.   Who says someones convictions are stronger than mine or more worthy than mine because they are religious and I am not?  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#64 of 70 Old 02-26-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Who says someones convictions are stronger than mine or more worthy than mine because they are religious and I am not?  

Those who want to do away with all but medical and make the "medical ones" be "legitimate", do away all together with philosophical, and those who are say "religious" but mean no matter what you are not sincere enough - those are the ones judging! 

Maybe we should start of list of those who have called for exemption changes! I can think of several :eyesroll

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#65 of 70 Old 02-26-2014, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My state (California) does not currently have a religious exemption, only a medical and philosophical one. They are thinking of adding a religious exemption to allow followers of certain religions to avoid a new requirement that those seeking exemptions must get a doctor's signature. In any case, at least in our state, you must either have an exemption or vaccinations both to attend public and private schools, and since homeschooling is only allowed through either a public or private schools so essentially, you must vaccinate or obtain an exemption for your school age child. Not sure how it works in other states -- I know in Washington  State, if you were homeschooling without using the public school's alternative learning environments, as far as I know you didn't have to sign an exemption form (but that was in 2011, things change fast in the vaccine exemption world, apparently).

Regardless, a religion is a structured form of spiritual beliefs -- I think that there are plenty of people who have spiritual beliefs who don't fit into a specific religion. What type of exemption should they seek? Religious exemptions were sought primarily by organized religions, mostly because groups of people are better at getting laws passed to favor them than individuals. Why does everyone have to follow a crowd to get their rights or beliefs supported?   

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#66 of 70 Old 02-26-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

People are free to refuse to consent to -- or decline -- vaccines.  Nobody has argued otherwise.

But not in West Virginia or Mississippi, two states with no religious or philosophical exemptions, and from what I hear, the medical exemptions are very difficult to obtain. Adults might be free to decline vaccinations unless they work in the health care or certain other fields where they will be required to have flu shots as well as TB tests (which can mean a TB vaccine and also antibiotics if they test positive).

applejuice and serenbat like this.

#67 of 70 Old 02-26-2014, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post

My state (California) does not currently have a religious exemption, only a medical and philosophical one.

Gov Brown added the religious exemption by executive order.

[quote]Quick Fact: In 2012 the personal belief exemption became more restrictive in that there is an additional requirement of a signature from a health care practitioner to obtain the exemption. Effective Jan. 1, 2014 parents, guardians and empancipated minors must now obtain this additional signature when filing with the governing authority the necessary documents that state which vaccinations have not been given on the basis that they are contrary to his or her beliefs. When the law was amended for this change, Governor Brown also issued an executive order directing the health department to include a separate religious exemption on the new exemption form. [unquote]

Exemption Form effective 2014

#68 of 70 Old 02-27-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post

But not in West Virginia or Mississippi, two states with no religious or philosophical exemptions, and from what I hear, the medical exemptions are very difficult to obtain. Adults might be free to decline vaccinations unless they work in the health care or certain other fields where they will be required to have flu shots as well as TB tests (which can mean a TB vaccine and also antibiotics if they test positive).

I too have to file in my Paul Offit state to homeschool and he is pushing to change it - http://aging.pasenategop.com/files/2013/06/offit.pdf

applejuice likes this.

&

#69 of 70 Old 03-01-2014, 03:20 PM

I live and homeschool (not due to vaccines just because it's right for my family at this time) in WA State and I do not have to file a exemption form if I'm homeschooling, nor if I send my child to a private school. But I do have to file if they go to a school that accepts private funding. Still, the process is pretty simple (the waiver) and in no way will it change my vaccine choice if and when we switch from homeschool to public school (which I am sure we will do someday in the future). I think that any parent that simply having to go to the doctor and file the exemption would convince them to vaccinate on schedule probably was not a very well researched or informed parent about their vaccine choice in the first place.
applejuice likes this.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#70 of 70 Old 03-02-2014, 12:42 PM

I saw that about the religious exemption in California, and I think it's great that he asked for it to be added, but I wonder how it will be enforced? How many religions are there included and how do they keep track of their rules?

applejuice likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page