"Polio-like illness found in five California children" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)

Saw this on CNN this morning and thought it was pretty interesting/possibly concerning. 

"Doctors are looking for more information about a "polio-like syndrome" that has caused paralysis in a few children in California. Neurologists have identified five patients who developed paralysis in one or more of their limbs between August 2012 and July 2013. All five children had been vaccinated against the poliovirus. Treatment did not seem to help the children regain their motor function.Samples from two of the children tested positive for enterovirus 68, a rare virus that has been linked to severe respiratory illness in the past. " 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/24/health/mystery-illness-in-california/

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#2 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

It's interesting news, but what exactly are we supposed to debate?

#3 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

The same old! How it's all about non- vaccers!!!eyesroll.gif
applejuice and nukuspot like this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#4 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

...because according to the stellar comments, it's the fault of the non-vaxxers. They didn't vax and hence the polio virus mutated and created this new strain. Obviously a total fabrication as the illnesses of those poor children were caused by an entirely different virus (which merely belongs to the same viral family). But whatever, let's blame Jenny McCarthy and the non-vaxxers.

#5 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Guess it's just more of a general discussion shrug.gif

rachelsmama likes this.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#6 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How awful for these children and their families. I don't think their suffering should be used to debate when it has nothing to do with vax vs. non-vax...
applejuice and rachelsmama like this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#7 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post

...because according to the stellar comments, it's the fault of the non-vaxxers. They didn't vax and hence the polio virus mutated and created this new strain. Obviously a total fabrication as the illnesses of those poor children were caused by an entirely different virus (which merely belongs to the same viral family). But whatever, let's blame Jenny McCarthy and the non-vaxxers.

Where does it say that? 

#8 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

How awful for these children and their families. I don't think their suffering should be used to debate when it has nothing to do with vax vs. non-vax...

this should have been posted under illness, never with  vaccinations unless ones thinks this is somehow connected, it certainly comes off as the usually blame game type propaganda IMO :eyesroll 

applejuice and Taximom5 like this.

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#9 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Oh for Pete's sake.  

You guys get worked up over the silliest things.   

I thought it was an interesting story.  Mods can delete it if they want. 

#10 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post

Oh for Pete's sake.  

You guys get worked up over the silliest things.   

I thought it was an interesting story.  Mods can delete it if they want. 

I think it's worth having a general discussion about these cases; I think it would be better to move it than to delete it.

applejuice and serenbat like this.
#11 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Where does it say that? 

The ever so educated comments on such articles. Sadly many readers felt compelled to comment on how vaccine critics and good ole Jenny are the root cause of the new disease.....

And yes, I dunno how this relates to vaccines (apart from the ignorant commenters on the news website). Could the mods move it to another forum?

applejuice, serenbat and Taximom5 like this.
#12 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

this should have been posted under illness, never with  vaccinations unless ones thinks this is somehow connected, it certainly comes off as the usually blame game type propaganda IMO eyesroll.gif  
The same story is posted on the INV board - is it ok to discuss there?
#13 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:

I think it's worth having a general discussion about these cases; I think it would be better to move it than to delete it.
I agree. This has nothing to do with vaccines and would maybe be better suited for the general health board.
#14 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

this was posted in a section for support

this thread was posted in DEBATE - what are you debating regarding vaccines and this story?

rachelsmama and BeckyBird like this.

&

#15 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Well, yeah, because we are discussing how we are being unfairly blamed for this disease.

And Teacozy, give me a break. You absolutely knew our silly little heads would be bothered by this. That's why you posted it. We are not so foolish as to think otherwise.
BeckyBird and Taximom5 like this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#16 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:

this was posted in a section for support

this thread was posted in DEBATE - what are you debating regarding vaccines and this story?

I already stated that I felt this story didnt belong here and was better suited on the general health forum.

You were the one who stated that this story didn't belong with vaccine discussion:
Quote:

this should have been posted under illness, never with  vaccinations unless ones thinks this is somehow connected, it certainly comes off as the usually blame game type propaganda IMO eyesroll.gif  

I was just curious why you stated that this story never have been posted with vaccinations when you are clearly posting on the other thread. Did you mean that it didn't belong in debate because I would agree with that statement.
#17 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Well, yeah, because we are discussing how we are being unfairly blamed for this disease.

I understand this point - didn't read the comments on the article so I'm not certain what was said.

I agree this doesn't belong here in debate, but I have no disagreement with the opinion that it is an appropriate topic for INV.
#18 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:

I already stated that I felt this story didnt belong here and was better suited on the general health forum.

You were the one who stated that this story didn't belong with vaccine discussion:

I was just curious why you stated that this story never have been posted with vaccinations when you are clearly posting on the other thread. Did you mean that it didn't belong in debate because I would agree with that statement.

did you bother to read my whole post or only some of it?              unless ones thinks this is somehow connected, it certainly comes off as the usually blame game type propaganda IMO :eyesroll

AND if you bothered to read what I posted in the INV section you would have read this part (or should have)

MY POSTS - 

why is 25 OK in this case but when we get 1 or GASP! 2 measles we go nuclear? 25 whopping cough cases and we are almost ready to burn non-vaccers at the stake! :irked

that is a large part of the comments I have read too - about 50-50, it's the NON-vaccers and those (fill in the blank word) immigrants! predictable and still sick, sick, sick comments!  :irked

Quote:

this should have been posted under illness, never with  vaccinations unless ones thinks this is somehow connected, it certainly comes off as the usually blame game type propaganda IMO :eyesroll 

ETA-since Teacozy posted it here, I assume she must have thought this had something to do with vaccines, why would it be posted here? Clearly this was not about cooking or breast feeding or TV, thus my comments - why lump this with vaccines unless you somehow connect it? :irked 

applejuice likes this.

&

#19 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

And Teacozy, give me a break. You absolutely knew our silly little heads would be bothered by this. That's why you posted it. We are not so foolish as to think otherwise.

You're 100% wrong.  I absolutely had no idea that people would get upset over this topic. 

I mean, the part I posted says that the children were vaccinated against polio.  How on earth is this me trying to spin this to blame non vaccinated people?  That makes no sense.  Nothing in the article said anything about unvaccinated children either. You are just looking for things to get worked up over.  

I call it "manufactored outrage" 

#20 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:

You're 100% wrong.  I absolutely had no idea that people would get upset over this topic. 

I mean, the part I posted says that the children were vaccinated against polio.  How on earth is this me trying to spin this to blame non vaccinated people?  That makes no sense.  Nothing in the article said anything about unvaccinated children either. You are just looking for things to get worked up over.  

IF you didn't intend it to be connect to vaccines why post it here?

applejuice likes this.

&

#21 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:

No.

The comments under the article are offensive to non-vaxxers (as usual).

Hardly half a page down someone called non vaxxers "anti-vax nuts"  a tiny bit further along NVers are called idiots.

It would be like if I posted an article, and embedded in the comments were ad hominem attacks against pro-vaxxers.  Pro-vaxxers might be a tad annoyed, and it would be justifiable.  At best you goofed and did not realise  what you were posting, at worse you are pot stirring.  We do not know which, you can clarify if you like.  

Either way, it is not manufactured outrage.  

applejuice, serenbat and Taximom5 like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#22 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

No.

The comments under the article are offensive to non-vaxxers (as usual).

Hardly half a page down someone called non vaxxers "anti-vax nut jobs."

It would be like if I posted an article, and embedded in the comments were ad hominem attacks against pro-vaxxers.  Pro-vaxxers might be a tad annoyed, and it would be justifiable.  At best you goofed and did not realise you what you were posting, at worse you are pot stirring.  We do not know which, you can clarify if you like.  

Either way, it is not manufactured outrage.  

I haven't read the comments but even if I had, I was unaware that there was a rule that you couldn't post a news story/article about vaccines/diseases unless the comments at the bottom were nice. 

I mean seriously? That would pretty much take out 99% of any article or story about vaccines.   If people are saying the comments are nasty, then don't read them!  

Virtually ANY article about vaccines is going to have rude/offensive comments from BOTH sides. 

This is really SO silly.  I posted a neutral article that said absolutely nothing about unvaccinated children or even hinted at them, but I'm apparently stirring the pot because strangers in the comment section on CNN aren't being nice? Even though I mentioned absolutely nothing about them in the OP at all? Am I getting this right? 

Wow. 

#23 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 01:18 PM

I feel the same. WOW.
applejuice likes this.

joy.gif

#24 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 01:24 PM

I just started a fresh thread over in child & teen health.  I'm hoping it's a better spot for it.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1398043/polio-like-illness-emerging-in-california

#25 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:

I haven't read the comments but even if I had, I was unaware that there was a rule that you couldn't post a news story/article about vaccines/diseases unless the comments at the bottom were nice. 

I mean seriously? That would pretty much take out 99% of any article or story about vaccines.   If people are saying the comments are nasty, then don't read them!  

Virtually ANY article about vaccines is going to have rude/offensive comments from BOTH sides. 

This is really SO silly.  I posted a neutral article that said absolutely nothing about unvaccinated children or even hinted at them, but I'm apparently stirring the pot because strangers in the comment section on CNN aren't being nice? Even though I mentioned absolutely nothing about them in the OP at all? Am I getting this right? NO you are not!

Wow. 

again, you failed to answer my question

IMO comes off as a dig at those who do not vaccinate but since you failed to address my question, I will still assume this was some how connected to vaccines, why post in this section if it wasn't?

Quote:

IF you didn't intend it to be connect to vaccines why post it here?

applejuice likes this.

&

#26 of 41 Old 02-24-2014, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)

Well, keeping it strictly on topic…I am not overly concerned.  Diseases arrive, then die.  They ebb and flow.  Many amount to no more than a blip (although they are not blips to their families - and I wish them nothing but the best). Time will tell if this is a big deal on a grand scale or not.   We cannot eradicate diseases as a whole. That is not how we are built.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#27 of 41 Old 02-25-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Diseases arrive, then die.  They ebb and flow.  ... Time will tell if this is a big deal on a grand scale or not.   We cannot eradicate diseases as a whole. That is not how we are built.

Precisely. Dr Mendelsohn said that in one of his lectures. Excellent point.

Meanwhile I am busy reading an oldie but a goodie, Paul, John R. A History of Poliomyelitis New Haven, Yale University Press. 1971. 486 p. Dewey Decimal Call Number 616.835.

It was recommended to me by another member here on MDC.

Diseases come and go, and humans are so arrogant that they think they are in charge of them. We are not. We can only practice good hygiene, good nutrition, and live a healthy lifestyle. Be Honest; other than that, it is out of our control. Silly doctors and their magic potions pushed on us by the govt!

serenbat likes this.
#28 of 41 Old 02-25-2014, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

This is interesting from http://news.yahoo.com/polio-disease-appears-california-children-074000774.html?bcmt_s=m#ugccmt-container

Quote:
 Dr Keith Van Haren, who diagnosed Sofia, said polio vaccines do not protect children from the disease, but he stressed that it is still important for children to receive that vaccine.

What the heck does that mean? Why get any vaccine if it is not going to protect a child from a disease?  WTF!?

And, BTW, I am old enough to remember that the first cases of polio in the early 1950s were in the SF Bay Area.

serenbat likes this.
#29 of 41 Old 02-25-2014, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

The polio vaccine does not protect children from this "polio-like" disease.  The polio vaccine protects against actual polio.

prosciencemum likes this.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#30 of 41 Old 02-26-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

The polio vaccine does not protect children from this "polio-like" disease.  The polio vaccine protects against actual polio.

have no fear, I'm sure we can get another vaccine for enterovirus 68 soon!

applejuice likes this.

&

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page