Traveling to Brazil for World Cup with NONVAX 2 year old. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2014, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My daughter will have just turned two when we leave for Brazil and the world cup. We are 100% nonvax. (we gave vitK shot at birth before researching more)

I guess I am only concerned because there are going to be so many people from so many countries there. What are your thoughts on this??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Sounds like an amazing trip. Which matches will you go to?

I think you're right to be concerned. Maybe look at the who information on the most common VPDs worldwide and in especially in Brazil and the countries whose teams you will see.

Are you open to considering if selectively vaccinating for some may mean you worry less?

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

Hep A and yellow fever are the only two that are really "recommended" - nothing as of yet for entry but that could always change

I would not hold to just looking into the countries that are playing in a match as with most world cups, some lottery system for tickets usually holds and most just want to see something, so you can be with a wide mix of fans from all over, not just the two playing.

I would be far more concerned with domestic issues, not health besides the usually h2o concerns and fresh produce.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

I think we are seeing Italy & Honduras, and Argentina and Bolivia? Don't quote me on those as my husband is the soccer fan and has rearranged this all.

But as Serenbat said, they are having a final draw now and people don't care which games, they just want anything they can get at this point.

I know we are staying in nice condos/hotels on the beach in the better sides if Rio and Recife (which have no call for yellow fever or malaria precautions)

My husband spent three years in Brazil so he knows the language and getting around well. That makes me feel better about the domestic part.

Just being around so many people, you don't know what can spread. We are only going to two games which will be heavily packed with people. The other 13 days we will kind of just hangout but I am sure wherever we go will have plenty of people! 2.1 million tickets sold the first day FIFA opened their ticketing!!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

I personally won't worry - we travel to large cities all the time.

My main concern would be staying near the winning side! Un-happy fans are not a good place to be!

Most WCups are peaceful. I would avoid if I could demonstration areas but not for health reasons.

I know one person from Brazil and the large numbers really don't bother either of us. IMO you are as exposed if you go to a sporting event here that is held in a large stadium. We use to go to several "friendlies" / soccer matches but now the CO$T, the pain of security and "some" of the fans worries us more, we don't really have ANY crowds if you are seeing just US teams plays. :(

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 03-10-2014, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

For some reason it will not let me private message you.

Do you travel overseas often? I feel comfortable with my decision on vaccines but with a family who is very PRO everything a Dr says lol it can get to me at times. Your input has helped me feel confident again.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)

It is possible that my DS will be traveling to Brazil during the World Cup also (youth soccer tournament), he is 14 and completely unvaccinated and I won't give it a second thought. He traveled with his MLS club to Costa Rica last year for soccer, no problems.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 03-15-2014, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know when the world cup is, but many vaccines need a series to take effect and some need a waiting period.  So even if you got some right away for your child, they might not even take effect by your trip.  Not just for VPDs but for everything you can encounter in a huge stadium, make sure you all practice good handwashing.  That's worth a bit of preventative right there.  As far as vaccinating to go if there is enough time, I would say to look up if there are current outbreaks of VPDs in Brazil or the countries of the fans and go from there based on your comfort zone.  I don't think there is one "right" answer.  We are about to travel internationally as well and I understand the apprehension but also not wanting to go crazy with fear based rash decisions.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)

User Tag List