Vaccines and Cyberbullying - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-10-2014, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbownurse View Post

I proposed that we run away together a while back. I can't remember the exact thread, but I recall telling you my husband was  good baker. 

I could use supper actually…..

I stopped posting here for a while, because all I saw was personal attacks (from both sides) but I would like to start posting again, and seeing constructive debates take place. 

I am not sure that is doable.  I may have come across as emotional and erractic on this thread (and really, my thoughts are all over the place on these issues) but I have sung the let's all be respectful song for a very long time (years)  and it has gotten me nowhere. I am tired and angry.   You said earlier that more modding is needed to make this forum useful (paraphrasing) and I agree.  It is a war/attack zone a lot of the time.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)

You aren't supposed to call people out here, either, rainbow. 

I have been reprimanded by the MODs for doing so. More than once.  

PM the person or flag their post, that is what the mods have said to do. 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 04-10-2014, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I've got a pork shoulder in the crock pot and a delicious 8mo to nibble on. If you can catch him. 

Old 04-10-2014, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post

Not to mention the many many many blog posts about Dorit Reiss, Paul Offit, Orac, etc on non vax sites.

Yes some of them are public figures so one can argue that part of that comes with the territory, but it is still bullying on a massive scale. 

Say what you want about Orac or Paul Offit or Dorit Reiss, but they have never personally threatened anybody.  

Actually, I feel VERY personally threatened by all three.

They are aggressively campaigning to end all exemptions to vaccinations, and to curtail the rights of those who don't.  This extends to myself and my children, as we have all had serious adverse reactions to vaccines.  Our current doctors have all recognized the validity of our reactions, and have no problem writing medical exemptions for us--but I know of many other doctors who would not.  This would put our health, perhaps our very lives, in the hands of a doctor who might insist on vaccination for us, if we are seen by those doctors in an emergency, or when our doctors retire, or if we have to move.  The political actions of Reiss & co. also severely limit the jobs my children will be able to consider when they are older, as the health care industry no longer accepts medical exemptions for vaccination, and schools, hotels, and other public places are following suit.

I haven't seen you complain about the bullying that Jenny McCarthy has endured, or defend her in any way, and all she did was talk about her own son's experience and campaign for safer vaccines. 

Old 04-10-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post

You really think the bullying is one sided? It most certainly is not. 

Paul Offit has had death threats, people posted information about his children online, like their names and where they went to school.  At a meeting at the CDC, a non vaxxer with a sign calling Paul Offit a terrorist grabbed him by the jacket and pulled him backwards.  It's been such an issue that Paul Offit can't even do public book signings anymore because of the aggressive verbal attacks he would get from the non vaxxers who would show up in droves.

There was a pretty public issue a couple years ago when non vaxxers called up Gorski's place of work and tried to get him fired. 

Several months ago, a group of non vaxxers attempted to silence/censor a group of pro vaxxers by exploiting a facebook loophole and getting their accounts banned over and over for absolutely no reason.  There are screen shots that show this was deliberate and intentional. I didn't know or see this. I'm not on here as much as you are either. I also post in other sections too.

Not to mention the many many many blog posts about Dorit Reiss, Paul Offit, Orac, etc on non vax sites.

Yes some of them are public figures so one can argue that part of that comes with the territory, but it is still bullying on a massive scale. 

Say what you want about Orac or Paul Offit or Dorit Reiss, but they have never personally threatened anybody.  REALLY?

Again, my point is that both sides are guilty of personally attacking/bullying members of the other "side". 

yes, I do see it one sided.

I've never seen a death thread directed at Offit, he has said so but I have never seen any - got the links that show them or just his word?

and IF you remember, I did post to you his op-ed about PA where he likens me to a murderer (Catherine and Herbert Schaible) and lumps me into the same as them - remember this one? http://articles.philly.com/2013-05-10/news/39144680_1_child-abuse-neglect-first-century-gospel I am in PA and yes, it's personal and directed at me!

Dorit Reiss  -http://shotofprevention.com/2014/03/04/rights-of-the-unvaccinated-child-vaccinating-over-the-parents-will/

Conclusion: How Should the Law Change?

• Courts should order intervention when a strong case is made that not vaccinating would be life-threatening.  For example, ordering intervention during an outbreak, or if a child may have been exposed to a potentially fatal vaccine-preventable disease and something can be done after the fact, or if the child is otherwise at high risk of exposure. Courts should make the line clear: Vaccination will not be ordered against parental will unless the child is at high risk, but if there is a risk, vaccination will be ordered.
  • Courts should prefer the pro-immunizing parent in custody disputes. As explained above, if at least one parent agrees, there really is no justification to privilege the parent acting against the best interests of the child – as acknowledged even by the Grzyb court – over the parent that wants to vaccinate.
  • Courts should not the allow use of exemptions when a parent has lost custody. If a parent was found legally unfit to care for their children, they should not be allowed to withhold vaccines – supported by the medical and scientific community – when they were already violating their responsibilities to that child.
  • States should allow adolescents above a certain age to consent to being vaccinated generally. After a certain age, a child deserves the right to make some medical decisions about her or his own welfare. There may be good reasons to limit a child’s rights on this in relation to very invasive treatment, where a child’s immaturity can lead her to object – that can be debated. But in relation to vaccines, which offer low invasiveness, high effectiveness and low risk, there is no reason to withhold the right to consent from a child. The converse, however, is also true: If a child is granted the right to consent, a child over that age – probably between 12 and 14 – should also be granted the right to refuse to be vaccinated, and vaccination should not happen without consent.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 04-10-2014, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
NM. I'm up to speed now.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 04-10-2014, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbownurse View Post

I will absolutely call people out when I see it happening. I hesitated to do so because I am a poster on other forums where "calling out" is very much against the rules, and WILL get your hand slapped, very quickly. 

Hmmm…I think outright call-outs might get you in trouble.  I do not think a simple "ouch" or "I do not think that is warranted" will.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 04-10-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Just so we're clear, the way to call out bullying behavior on MDC is to click the little flaggy and then move on with your life. It's anonymous in that the perpetrator will never know that you did it. Don't hesitate to do it for one of your own. Public call-outs are at one's own risk. But I have lived dangerously and done it. Sheepish.gif

To call out cyberbullying elsewhere, log on to Disqus or whatever it takes and post a polite but firm cease-and-desist.

Easy enough?

Any further cyber-bickering is probably going to earn this thread a padlock. So let's either shift our focus to sharing positive, productive ways to collaborate and combat cyber-bullying . . . or let this discussion come to a timely end.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif

User Tag List