Why Is Jenny McCarthy Dangerous? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2014, 01:17 PM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,407
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadamsmar View Post
 

She is certainly anti-vax in that she is against the vaccines that are available.

 

Nobody is going to try to come up with a vaccine the she thinks is safe.  How would you do that?   One day she says vaccines cause autism, the next day it's gluten causes autism.

So? What difference does this really make or matter?                             She's still in the news regardless - getting married! 


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-16-2014, 02:33 PM
 
teacozy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 1,588
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post
 

I would also love to see direct evidence of this. I hear one side say she is behind it, but based on what - repeating it enough to make it stick evidence?

 

"Brains hardwired to accept celebrity heath advice"  

 

Study http://www.livescience.com/42039-celebrity-health-advice-brain.html

 

As per your other question, no I am not a doctor.  I've made that clear before.  The difference is that I'm also not trying to argue that the vast and overwhelming majority of epidemiologists/immunologists are wrong, either.  

 

Like I said, wouldn't you trust the opinion of 99.9% of medical experts that tell you that cigarettes are harmful and bad for you over that of Kim Kardashian who says they are harmless because her grandfather smoked a pack a day and lived to be 100?  My guess is that you would. 


“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
teacozy is offline  
Old 04-16-2014, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
 
Turquesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,070
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post

"Brains hardwired to accept celebrity heath advice"  

Study http://www.livescience.com/42039-celebrity-health-advice-brain.html

As per your other question, no I am not a doctor.  I've made that clear before.  The difference is that I'm also not trying to argue that the vast and overwhelming majority of epidemiologists/immunologists are wrong, either.  

Like I said, wouldn't you trust the opinion of 99.9% of medical experts that tell you that cigarettes are harmful and bad for you over that of Kim Kardashian who says they are harmless because her grandfather smoked a pack a day and lived to be 100?  My guess is that you would. 

To repeat, can you provide evidence to support this 99.9% figure?

Also, can you provide numeric evidence that most parents who choose not to vaccinate on schedule because of what Jenny M says and consider her their leader?

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Turquesa is online now  
Old 04-16-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
 
Turquesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,070
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadamsmar View Post

She is certainly anti-vax in that she is against the vaccines that are available.

Nobody is going to try to come up with a vaccine the she thinks is safe.  How would you do that?   One day she says vaccines cause autism, the next day it's gluten causes autism.

I'm trying to challenge a number of false dichotamies, but if you think that alternative vaccine schedules, which involve parents GETTING vaccinations for their children, "anti-vax" . . . then there's not much more I can say to you.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Turquesa is online now  
Old 04-16-2014, 03:17 PM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,407
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
 

 

"Brains hardwired to accept celebrity heath advice"  

 

Study http://www.livescience.com/42039-celebrity-health-advice-brain.html

 

As per your other question, no I am not a doctor.  I've made that clear before.  The difference is that I'm also not trying to argue that the vast and overwhelming majority of epidemiologists/immunologists are wrong, either.  Really?

 

Like I said, wouldn't you trust the opinion of 99.9% of medical experts that tell you that cigarettes are harmful and bad for you over that of Kim Kardashian who says they are harmless because her grandfather smoked a pack a day and lived to be 100?  My guess is that you would. Actually seeing 90+ that still smoke are going strong, regardless of what is put out, I feel genetics play a far bigger role over all in all disease. I don't take my medical advice from 99.9% (as you put it) not my term for it.

 What cause celeb are you following that you formed your opinion from?


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
Old 04-16-2014, 03:20 PM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,407
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post


To repeat, can you provide evidence to support this 99.9% figure?

Also, can you provide numeric evidence that most parents who choose not to vaccinate on schedule because of what Jenny M says and consider her their leader?

I want to know too.

 

Actually no one has ever polled me or anyone I know about where our views come from IRL.

 

Not only am I member of the .3% club, I must also be in the .1% that are not swayed by JMc! good to know!


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
Old 04-16-2014, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
 
Turquesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,070
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

I'm not sure she was talking just about MMR dosing.  I think she was talking about babies getting 4 or more jabs at once, and many of 
them multivalent vaccines.

Yes, but MMR is one example of a multivalent vaccine, (also the one that Wakefield questioned), and I don't see how spacing it out over 12 weeks turns someone into an anti-vax baby-killer, (to pay homage to some of the rhetoric out there).

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Turquesa is online now  
Old 04-16-2014, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
 
Turquesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,070
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

I want to know too.

Actually no one has ever polled me or anyone I know about where our views come from IRL.

Not only am I member of the .3% club, I must also be in the .1% that are not swayed by JMc! good to know!

That was actually a reference to 99.9% of medical experts supporting the vax schedule. It's one of those ciation-free figures that gets bandied about a lot. It's like you said upthread--say something enough times, and it suddenly becomes true.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Turquesa is online now  
Old 04-16-2014, 03:46 PM
 
kathymuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,231
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
 

 

As per your other question, no I am not a doctor.  I've made that clear before.  The difference is that I'm also not trying to argue that the vast and overwhelming majority of epidemiologists/immunologists are wrong, either.  

 

Like I said, wouldn't you trust the opinion of 99.9% of medical experts that tell you that cigarettes are harmful and bad for you over that of Kim Kardashian who says they are harmless because her grandfather smoked a pack a day and lived to be 100?  My guess is that you would. 

I am not trusting Jenny McCarthy's opinion.  I am agreeing with it.  Jenny McCarthy was hardly instrumental in my vaccine beliefs.

 

If I am just some Jenny-lover, then why do I disagree with circumcision, as do many on the INV board?  The whole argument is simply illogical.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post


That was actually a reference to 99.9% of medical experts supporting the vax schedule. It's one of those ciation-free figures that gets bandied about a lot. It's like you said upthread--say something enough times, and it suddenly becomes true.

IIRC, there was a study once showing that around 5% of pediatricians intended to delay or skip some vaccines, and around 8% of specialist intended to delay or skip vaccines.  We also know that if hcp have total freedom to decide on flu vaccines, around 1/2 skip it!!

 

 

Honestly, though, and I have been meaning to craft a thread about it....I think the reasons some pro-vaxxers are so vile towards Jenny is because she has a big mouth, and some PVers simply want vaccine critics to shut up.  Period.  You see it in Offit with his "journalist jail" in the concern over "false balance" on other websites where they say so not so subtly and even on MDC occasionally where they are a bit more subtle.


There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

 

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

kathymuggle is online now  
Old 04-16-2014, 04:04 PM
 
samaxtics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)

Is Jenny M more dangerous than Aidan Quinn?

I just googled their names and the first page of Aidan Quinn is only about his movie career.

I didn't see anywhere on his wiki page where autism was even mentioned.  Yet his daughter IIRC is over 20, a lot older than JM's son.

 

I think by perseverating as much as they do on JM, the pro side are the ones keeping her in the foreground.

 

But feel free to discount my opinion as I'm not a sociologist.   


"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Astrophysicist/GMO defender
samaxtics is online now  
Old 04-16-2014, 04:56 PM
 
Taximom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics View Post
 

Is Jenny M more dangerous than Aidan Quinn?

I just googled their names and the first page of Aidan Quinn is only about his movie career.

I didn't see anywhere on his wiki page where autism was even mentioned.  Yet his daughter IIRC is over 20, a lot older than JM's son.

 

I think by perseverating as much as they do on JM, the pro side are the ones keeping her in the foreground.

 

But feel free to discount my opinion as I'm not a sociologist.   

 

Yes, there's quite a bit of sexism there, isn't there?  

 

It's also like the Wakefield Phenomenon.  Nobody would be paying the slightest bit of attention to either Wakefield or Jenny M, except the media keeps bringing them up.


I suspect it's so they can avoid bringing up the real news, like how many vaccine-induced brain damage/vaccine-induced autoimmune disorder cases got conceded and compensated by the US government.

Taximom5 is offline  
Old 04-16-2014, 05:02 PM
 
applejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: hunting the wild aebelskiever
Posts: 18,404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Jenny McCarthy is not dangerous.  It is fun to tease her and make fun of her intellect, or lack thereof, since she is blonde, attractive, and has been paid to take her clothes off.  She is also a mom who has handled her son's vaccine damage with strong assertiveness and activism. He has recovered. She was successful in advocating for her son. How is that dangerous?

 

Sly Stallone and Aiden Quinn have grown children with autism; Ed Asner has a grandson with autism. Their children have not recovered. I guess that makes them OK. They are not dangerous.

 

However, try to do the same thing with Mayim Bialik who has a PhD in neurology from UCLA and she has NOT vaccinated her sons. Not quite the same, is it?

 

Quote:
Yet my understanding, if I have this correct, is that McCarthy wants the right to choose monovalent vaccines instead of the trivalent MMR. From her article: "I believe in the importance of a vaccine program and I believe parents have the right to choose one poke per visit. I’ve never told anyone to not vaccinate." 

Jenny McCarthy went to Washington, DC to agitate for "Greening Our Vaccines"; RFK Jr. spoke at one of her rallies.  Jim Carrey was with her and he spoke. She has never said that she is anti-vaccine. In her book, she did say that it was the MMR vaccine that tipped the scales for her son; she even asked the doctor if this was the autism vaccine, since that vaccine has the reputation for "causing autism" long before her son ever got the vaccine.

 

She documented her efforts, difficulties, and trials with her son and her marriage quite well, in a way that many mothers can relate; that is what makes her dangerous in the eyes of the vaccine promoters - that many mothers know what she is talking about.


"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
applejuice is offline  
Old 04-16-2014, 05:51 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)

She is certainly anti-vax in that she is against the vaccines that currently exists.

 

It would be pointless to try to come up with a vaccine that she would think was safe, since she is just randomly generates new opinions out of nowhere.  One day it's vaccines cause autism, the next day its gluten causes autism.   You'd never be about to guess what random claim she was going to make next.

 

You'd have to have some standards, otherwise the whole effort would be pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post
 

 

Actually, vaccines can cause autoimmune reactions, including celiac.  This happened to me, and also to one of my children.  We each had severe adverse reactions to vaccines that somehow triggered the onset of celiac disease.


Autistic children have a very high rate of also having either celiac disease, Crohn's Disease, or other inflammatory bowel diseases.  The experts now agree that treating the celiac disease results in a significant decrease in behavioral symptoms of autism.  Also, women with celiac disease have a significantly higher chance of having a child who develops autism.

You might want to read Unraveling the Mystery of Autism And Pervasive Developmental Disorder by Karyn Seroussi.  You can also go to her website:  www.karynseroussi.com

 

I looked this up, there is scientific evidence of a connection between autism symtoms and gluten antibodies. And there is evidence that eliminating gluten can help autism symptoms in at least some cases.

 

Not really a cause and effect between celiac and autism from what I read.  More that gluten is a factor in both celiac and (sometimes) autism symptoms.

 

At least that's what I got from some quick research.

 

Ironically,looks like there may be a celiac vaccine soon.

tadamsmar is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 07:28 AM
 
samaxtics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadamsmar View Post
 

She is certainly anti-vax in that she is against the vaccines that currently exists.

 

It would be pointless to try to come up with a vaccine that she would think was safe, since she is just randomly generates new opinions out of nowhere.  One day it's vaccines cause autism, the next day its gluten causes autism.   You'd never be about to guess what random claim she was going to make next.

 

Can you supply quotes where JM has said she is anti-vaccine?  Or where she says it's not the vaccines, it's gluten that causes autism?


"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Astrophysicist/GMO defender
samaxtics is online now  
Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Originally Posted by samaxtics View Post
 

Can you supply quotes where JM has said she is anti-vaccine?  Or where she says it's not the vaccines, it's gluten that causes autism

"After beginning [a gluten- and casein-free diet with vitamin supplements],mothers reported huge changes...sometimes even recovery from autism."  This quote is from Louder than Words: A Mother's Journey in Healing Autism.

 

Even if researchers beavered away to create a safer vaccine, they could not eliminate all anecdotes where a mother got a kid vaccinated and if was followed by something bad.  And JM's operational definition of "safe" is that there can be no such anecdotes.  She has fear-mongered individual vaccinations, changing the schedule won't eliminate all the anecdotes.

tadamsmar is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:24 AM
 
teacozy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 1,588
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics View Post
 

Can you supply quotes where JM has said she is anti-vaccine?  

 

Here are some of her quotes: 

 

"I mean moms and pregnant women are coming up to me on the street going, I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what to do. And I don’t know what to tell them, because I am surely not going to tell anyone to vaccinate. But if I had another child, there’s no way in hell." 

 

"Time magazine’s article on the autism debate reports that the experts are certain “vaccines don’t cause autism; they don’t injure children; they are the pillar of modern public health.” I say, “that’s a lie and we’re sick of it.” "

 

"I do believe sadly it’s going to take some diseases coming back to realize that we need to change and develop vaccines that are safe. If the vaccine companies are not listening to us, it’s their f___ing fault that the diseases are coming back. They’re making a product that’s s___. If you give us a safe vaccine, we’ll use it. It shouldn’t be polio versus autism." 


“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
teacozy is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:35 AM
 
Taximom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics

Can you supply quotes where JM has said she is anti-vaccine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadamsmar View Post

"After beginning [a gluten- and casein-free diet with vitamin supplements],mothers reported huge changes...sometimes even recovery from autism."  This quote is from Louder than Words: A Mother's Journey in Healing Autism.

Even if researchers beavered away to create a safer vaccine, they could not eliminate all anecdotes where a mother got a kid vaccinated and if was followed by something bad.  And JM's operational definition of "safe" is that there can be no such anecdotes.  She has fear-mongered individual vaccinations, changing the schedule won't eliminate all the anecdotes.

Oh, I see. You can't supply the requested quote.

The quote you did supply has a wealth of science supporting it, as Karyn Seroussi has shown.
Taximom5 is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:40 AM
 
Taximom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics

Can you supply quotes where JM has said she is anti-vaccine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post

Here are some of her quotes: 

"I mean moms and pregnant women are coming up to me on the street going, I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what to do. And I don’t know what to tell them, because I am surely not going to tell anyone to vaccinate. But if I had another child, there’s no way in hell." 

"Time magazine’s article
 on the autism debate reports that the experts are certain “vaccines don’t cause autism; they don’t injure children; they are the pillar of modern public health.” I say, “that’s a lie and we’re sick of it.” "

"I do believe sadly it’s going to take some diseases coming back to realize that we need to change and develop vaccines that are safe. If the vaccine companies are not listening to us, it’s their f___ing fault that the diseases are coming back. They’re making a product that’s s___. If you give us a safe vaccine, we’ll use it. It shouldn’t be polio versus autism." 

None of those quotes show that she is anti-vaccine. They show that she doesn't trust vaccines enough to vaccinate another child, should she have one, which is entirely appropriate, given the severe, life-threatening reaction her child had to vaccines. And they show that she is angered--as we all should be--by the lies from the vaccine industry and from the government.

Nowhere does she call for an end to the vaccine program, or for others to refuse vaccinations.
Taximom5 is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:55 AM
 
sassyfirechick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,625
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadamsmar View Post
 

She now claims her son's autism was cured by removal of gluten from his diet, and she has quietly removed testimonial about her son linking his autism to vaccination from her website.

Taxi gave you some links regarding gluten and behavioral disorders and it's very well documented that many children on the spectrum suffer from GI problems - do you deny this?  And if so, what harm is there in a parent doing whatever they can to foster a healthy immune system in their child including reducing inflammation in the GI tract?  It's a very well supported approach that perhaps MD's may fail to realize this connection because they are not trained in nutrition and therefore are ill equipped to make recommendations unless they've done the research on their own, post doctorate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
 

 

I don't really think she's a threat.  I think she's discredited herself all on her own, with her botox/smoking hypocrisy, University Of Google degree statements etc. 

 

She's not a doctor.  She's an actress and an ex playboy bunny.  She has absolutely no credentials or expertise in medicine/vaccines. At all.   

Because god forbid a playboy bunny have an education, I mea we wouldn't want smart AND good looking people running around!  And regarding vaccine expertise - neither do doctors.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post


I have no credentials in environmental science, but I'm a fierce advocate for reducing human-induced global warming. I can't wait around to get my PhD in everything that matters to me before I speak up about it.

Unless you're a saint, you're a hypocrite. We all have things we believe in that we cannot or do not live up to or follow consistently. We have a president with a Nobel Peace Prize who launches unregulated drone strikes. Countless political "leaders" claim to advocate for public education and send their kids to private school. Hypocrisy doesn't make someone's argument right or wrong. It exists regardless.

I'm wondering, is the person running the Jenny McCarthy Body Count site engaging in defamation and bullying by holding her personally responsible for every last case of a vaccine-targeted disease?

Does anybody agree that she is "dangerous" and "anti-vaccine?" If so, why?

Also, nobody has addressed my question in the OP about MMR dosing.

:truedat:  I don't have my doctorate but I'm a pretty darn good dog trainer and behavior evaluator/modifier - I just refrain from referring to myself as a "Behaviorist" because I don't have that degree - doesn't make me any less educated :wink

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadamsmar View Post
 

She is certainly anti-vax in that she is against the vaccines that currently exists.

 

Being against a current form of something doesn't inherently make one "anti" anything.  I don't like prong or choke collars on dogs - it does NOT make me anti training, nor anti discipline.  She's against multivalent or combination vaccines and really everyone should be!  You can't determine which part causes a reaction if ones does occur, and in nature or "the wild" people don't come into contact with 5 completely unrelated diseases simultaneously.  Take the Pentacel vaccine: Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Haemophillus Influenza, Polio.  Never gonna happen.  But if you back into the CDC archives you can find the reason for these combined vaccines was NOT because they worked better or were any safer or produced less reactions.  On the contrary it was done out of convenience - to get more parents to comply during the infant window when they are most likely to follow up with all well visits on schedule and fear most for their child s safety because infants are vulnerable.  As kids age we gain the first hand experience to worry less and they are able to communicate and tolerate more. Also the combination allows an illusion to occur - the child is not  receiving 8 shots at their 2 mo apt, or 9 shots at their 12 month apt (Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, Pneumococcal, Hep A, Hep B Hib, Polio).  Instead they *only*  get 3 at 2mos (one being oral) and 5 at a year. 

Quote:
The use of combination vaccines is a practical way to overcome the constraints of multiple injections, especially for starting the immunization series for children behind schedule. The use of combination vaccines might improve timely vaccination coverage. Some immunization providers and parents object to administering more than two or three injectable vaccines during a single visit because of a child's fear of needles and pain (25-30) and because of unsubstantiated concerns regarding safety (31,32). Other potential advantages of combination vaccines include a) reducing the cost of stocking and administering separate vaccines, b) reducing the cost for extra health-care visits, and c) facilitating the addition of new vaccines into immunization programs.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr4805a1.htm

 

You see, it's all about practicality and money, not safety (bolded my points).

sassyfirechick is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:58 AM
 
sassyfirechick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,625
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
 

 

Here are some of her quotes: 

 

"I mean moms and pregnant women are coming up to me on the street going, I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what to do. And I don’t know what to tell them, because I am surely not going to tell anyone to vaccinate. But if I had another child, there’s no way in hell." 

 

"Time magazine’s article on the autism debate reports that the experts are certain “vaccines don’t cause autism; they don’t injure children; they are the pillar of modern public health.” I say, “that’s a lie and we’re sick of it.” "

 

"I do believe sadly it’s going to take some diseases coming back to realize that we need to change and develop vaccines that are safe. If the vaccine companies are not listening to us, it’s their f___ing fault that the diseases are coming back. They’re making a product that’s s___. If you give us a safe vaccine, we’ll use it. It shouldn’t be polio versus autism." 


"I don't know what to do....I am surely not going to tell anyone to vaccinate" is NOT the same as telling someone NOT to vaccinate which *might* categorize them as anti-vax.

sassyfirechick is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 01:19 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)

I'm anti-vax.  I want polio the eradication program to be completed so that the world will stop polio vaccinations, just as routine smallpox vaccination stopped in 1972.

 

JM is pro-vax, she thinks more polio outbreaks are needed to spur the creation of polio vaccines for which there are no anecdotal evidence of risk.  But, there will be no such vaccine so polio outbreaks will have to go on forever.

tadamsmar is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 01:21 PM
 
applejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: hunting the wild aebelskiever
Posts: 18,404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

An aside: what happened to the father of Jenny McCarthy's son?  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0038875/?ref_=nmbio_sp_1

 

Her MIL has said some mean things about Jenny in the media, yet where is the father of this child? Jenny had to pay him in the divorce. She was basically abandoned. I see her as a strong person that many single mothers can look up to. That is why she is dangerous.


"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
applejuice is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 01:41 PM
 
Taximom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadamsmar View Post


JM is pro-vax, she thinks more polio outbreaks are needed to spur the creation of polio vaccines for which there are no anecdotal evidence of risk.  But, there will be no such vaccine so polio outbreaks will have to go on forever.

Isn't it a poor argument, to make an assertion about what somebody else thinks, while not supporting that assertion with a single fact? Isn't that kind of like, oh, I don't know, making up a really horrifyingly offensive statement, and then insisting (with no proof) that someone else actually said it?

Sounds like a desperate attempt to discredit someone.
Taximom5 is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 01:56 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post


Isn't it a poor argument, to make an assertion about what somebody else thinks, while not supporting that assertion with a single fact? Isn't that kind of like, oh, I don't know, making up a really horrifyingly offensive statement, and then insisting (with no proof) that someone else actually said it?

Sounds like a desperate attempt to discredit someone.

JM has already been quoted on this matter on this thread. Here it the quote again:

 

"I do believe sadly it’s going to take some diseases coming back to realize that we need to change and develop vaccines that are safe. If the vaccine companies are not listening to us, it’s their f___ing fault that the diseases are coming back. They’re making a product that’s s___. If you give us a safe vaccine, we’ll use it. It shouldn’t be polio versus autism."

 

This was her answer concerning recent polio outbreaks.   Since she labels vaccines as unsafe based on anecdotal information, there will never be a vaccine that meets her standard for safety.

tadamsmar is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 02:01 PM
 
kathymuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,231
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadamsmar View Post
 

JM has already been quoted on this matter on this thread. Here it the quote again:

 

"I do believe sadly it’s going to take some diseases coming back to realize that we need to change and develop vaccines that are safe. If the vaccine companies are not listening to us, it’s their f___ing fault that the diseases are coming back. They’re making a product that’s s___. If you give us a safe vaccine, we’ll use it. It shouldn’t be polio versus autism."

 

This was her answer concerning recent polio outbreaks.   Since she labels vaccines as unsafe based on anecdotal information, there will never be a vaccine that meets her standard for safety.

Please post the question as well. Bolding mine.

 

I am not sure what you find anti-vaccine about what you quoted.  She is saying that it will take a disease returning for vaccine manufactures to build a better vaccine.  This is a version of a pro-vax argument - that it will take diseases return for people to vaccinate.  

 

You need to define anti-vax.  


There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

 

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

kathymuggle is online now  
Old 04-17-2014, 02:11 PM
 
sassyfirechick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,625
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

She's pro-vax in that she wants them to be available in a safer form of what they currently exist as - and honestly you'd find more people open to vaccination if that were the case but because it isn't and because they choose to lie, we choose to opt out of vaxxing.  Pretty simple!  Tadamsmar, you seem to post nothing but opinion - both your own and that which you read into others - and you also seem to dodge questions like some dodge the existence of vax reactions.  Perhaps answering once in a while rather than ignoring and being evasive might move the conversation in a more productive manner.

sassyfirechick is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 04:25 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)

The problem is that in order to effectively push for safer vaccines, you need standards.  I don't see that JM is providing (or willing to agree to) any useful standards for safety.

tadamsmar is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 06:00 PM
 
Taximom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadamsmar View Post
 

The problem is that in order to effectively push for safer vaccines, you need standards.  I don't see that JM is providing (or willing to agree to) any useful standards for safety.

 

Should she be required to, in order to have the right to criticize vaccines, especially after her child had a medically-documented adverse reaction?

Seems to me, you're (gleefully) shooting the messenger.

Taximom5 is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 06:07 PM
 
applejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: hunting the wild aebelskiever
Posts: 18,404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't see that JM is providing (or willing to agree to) any useful standards for safety. 

I keep reading and hearing that JM is NOT a medical professional and NOT trained in any way to know anything about medicine, vaccines, the immune system, nutrition, pediatrics, epidemiology, and you want her to provide standards for safety for vaccines?

And who is going to listen to her advocacy for safety for vaccines and all manner of medicine?

 

That is a tall order!


"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
applejuice is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 07:54 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post
 

 

Should she be required to, in order to have the right to criticize vaccines, especially after her child had a medically-documented adverse reaction?

Seems to me, you're (gleefully) shooting the messenger.

 

She should not be required to, one is free to to vent ineffectively.  But she is presenting herself as a safety advocate.  I'm just saying she is not effective, and suggesting how one could be more effective.

tadamsmar is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off