Why Is Jenny McCarthy Dangerous? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 116 Old 04-17-2014, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

I keep reading and hearing that JM is NOT a medical professional and NOT trained in any way to know anything about medicine, vaccines, the immune system, nutrition, pediatrics, epidemiology, and you want her to provide standards for safety for vaccines?

And who is going to listen to her advocacy for safety for vaccines and all manner of medicine?

That is a tall order!

It is a tall order.  But, I think that if one is going to be an effective advocate for safety, that's the task. There is no reason that a lay advocate can't work with others to make progress toward the goal.  She can raise funds for instance.

#62 of 116 Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
And I'm sure once she started raising funds everyone would leave her alone.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#63 of 116 Old 04-17-2014, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadamsmar View Post

The problem is that in order to effectively push for safer vaccines, you need standards.  I don't see that JM is providing (or willing to agree to) any useful standards for safety.

Quote:

She should not be required to, one is free to to vent ineffectively.  But she is presenting herself as a safety advocate.  I'm just saying she is not effective, and suggesting how one could be more effective.

I think you are forgetting one thing.  The pro-vax side is not overly interested in improving vaccine safety.  They think vaccines are fine, by and large.

ETA:  the pro-vax side will, on very rare occasions, admit to an issue with a vaccine….but only when a new vaccine or protocal  is in place.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#64 of 116 Old 04-17-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:

She should not be required to, one is free to to vent ineffectively.  But she is presenting herself as a safety advocate.  I'm just saying she is not effective, and suggesting how one could be more effective.

That was...a suggestion??

Wow.  We sure have different definitions of "suggestion."

If I saw someone advocating ineffectively, my idea of a suggestion would be to say, "[hey, great idea!] [you have a valid point!] [interesting perspective!] You might be able to be even more effective if you suggest some specific standards or guidelines, along with well-supported reasons why those would be more appropriate than what currently exists."

I do not think a "suggestion" includes name-calling, putting words in people's mouths that they never even implied, let alone uttered, etc.  Those actions are universally considered to be snide, snarky, vicious, etc., and are indicative of a position lacking in valid argument.

#65 of 116 Old 04-18-2014, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:

It is a tall order.  But, I think that if one is going to be an effective advocate for safety, that's the task. There is no reason that a lay advocate can't work with others to make progress toward the goal.  She can raise funds for instance.

I still don't get the point, so what, if she makes what you feel is a fool or herself or if she raises tons of money or what ever - she feels the way she does, she has ever right to say and do what she wants in the end. 

applejuice and kathymuggle like this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#66 of 116 Old 04-18-2014, 05:06 AM

Quote:

again, she can, so do others present them selves as advocates for their cause, it is all in those who use that person to make their decision(s) - I simply know of no one who does

throwing out X% buy into celesbs pushing what ever........X% don't need that either

applejuice likes this.

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#67 of 116 Old 04-18-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

I still don't get the point, so what, if she makes what you feel is a fool or herself or if she raises tons of money or what ever - she feels the way she does, she has ever right to say and do what she wants in the end. 

I am not disputing her right.  A layman has the right to exercise harmful influence.

#68 of 116 Old 04-18-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:

I am not disputing her right.  A layman has the right to exercise harmful influence.

All of the people on this thread, to the best of my knowledge, are laypeople.  Should we all not speak?

If she has the right to speak, then why attack her?

Nothing she has done has earned her sites like jennybodycount.  Shame on them.  I would posit that hate is worse than anything she has done (and with regards to vaccination, I do not think she has done anything wrong.)

I wonder why people are afraid of criticism of vaccination programs?  To a degree, they should welcome criticism…it can serve to improve things.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#69 of 116 Old 04-18-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

All of the people on this thread, to the best of my knowledge, are laypeople.  Should we all not speak?

Nothing she has done has earned her sites like jennybodycount.  Shame on them.  I would posit that hate is worse than anything she has done (and with regards to vaccination, I do not think she has done anything wrong.)

I wonder why people are afraid of criticism of vaccination programs?   

jennybodycount and JM are both exercising their right to free speech, yet you attack jennybodycount and say that one should not attack JM.

Having the right to free speech does not immunize one for being challenged or criticized.

#70 of 116 Old 04-18-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:

I wonder why people are afraid of criticism of vaccination programs?  To a degree, they should welcome criticism…it can serve to improve things.  

I have seen the argument several time that if you are a "singer" or an "actor" somehow you can not have opinions on other issues, I never get this.

applejuice likes this.

&

#71 of 116 Old 04-18-2014, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:

Unless vaccines are the Holy of Holies and it is blasphemy to question or criticize them.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#72 of 116 Old 04-18-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:

jennybodycount and JM are both exercising their right to free speech, yet you attack jennybodycount and say that one should not attack JM.

Having the right to free speech does not immunize one for being challenged or criticized.

No, it doesn't.

However, jennybodycount and other sites that are very harsh toward JM are responses that are completely out of proportion to anything she has said or done.  

Some people are just full of hate - and there is something about portions of the pro-vax movement that attract a high degree of haters,  IMHO (and are they there because they get their rocks off on hate? or because they are actual strong advocates of vaccination?)

In any event, I do not find over-the-top annoyance or hatred toward JM credible.  You believe JM is not credible, I would posit that those who are JM hunters are even less so.  

Mirzam and applejuice like this.

#73 of 116 Old 04-18-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

Unless vaccines are the Holy of Holies and it is blasphemy to question or criticize them.

There are fewer traditionally religious people these days, and yet there is still that human need to join together with others and believe in something.

applejuice and kathymuggle like this.
#74 of 116 Old 04-18-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

There are fewer traditionally religious people these days, and yet there is still that human need to believe in something.

lol.

Scientism

http://www.pbs.org/faithandreason/gengloss/sciism-body.html

"Unlike the use of the scientific method as only one mode of reaching knowledge, scientism claims that science alone can render truth about the world and reality. Scientism's single-minded adherence to only the empirical, or testable, makes it a strictly scientifc worldview, in much the same way that a Protestant fundamentalism that rejects science can be seen as a strictly religious worldview. Scientism sees it necessary to do away with most, if not all, metaphysical, philosophical, and religious claims, as the truths they proclaim cannot be apprehended by the scientific method. In essence, scientism sees science as the absolute and only justifiable access to the truth."

Mirzam, applejuice, dalia and 1 others like this.

#75 of 116 Old 04-18-2014, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

Criticism vs defamation of character and false accusations - two very different animals....... One actually accomplishes something, like progress towards a goal.  The other just spews unwarranted and unnecessary negativity and gains nothing in the process...but more negativity!

#76 of 116 Old 04-18-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

Criticism vs defamation of character and false accusations - two very different animals....... One actually accomplishes something, like progress towards a goal.  The other just spews unwarranted and unnecessary negativity and gains nothing in the process...but more negativity!

just point in out US laws are different, in England for example, they are much different (other places too) and what is done here could not be done elsewhere 

applejuice likes this.

&

#77 of 116 Old 04-18-2014, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

Ah, but you changed a detail there to suit your POV.  Measles is not a top 5 killer of children.  Measles is supposedly a top 5 killer of children in undeveloped countries--but even there, evidence has been, uh, tampered with.  Look up the WHO statistics.  Their estimated number of measles deaths in India, 2010 was nearly twice the number of measles CASES in India, 2010.

You mean like here: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/47-of-global-measles-deaths-in-India/articleshow/12843053.cms

Quote:
 India in 2010 recorded nearly 30,000 new cases of measles, and recorded 65,500 deaths.

So... basically they are doctoring the numbers for deaths but too dumb not to realize they need to change the numbers for reported cases too before putting them where they will often be seen together?

The numbers do look strange, but a more likely explanation than making up deaths likes in the word "recorded."   How many cases of non-fatal measles actually get recorded?  How many are even seen by a doctor or someone else who would record them in a country where there are areas of extreme poverty and medical care and facilities may be lacking?  

It makes sense to me that deaths are much, much more likely to get recorded into an official database of measles deaths somewhere than non-fatal cases are to be into whatever reporting system (and it appears there may be a few different ones, adding to the confusion?) there is for new cases.  

teacozy likes this.
#78 of 116 Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 PM

According to Dr. Puliyel (the head of Pediatrics at St. Joseph Hospital in Delhi), the numbers cited by WHO are completely unreliable.

Also, in areas of extreme poverty, where medical care and facilities are lacking, deaths are as likely as measles cases to go unreported.  If you don't have access to medical care, you don't have access--whether your child has measles, or is dying of complications from measles..

#79 of 116 Old 04-20-2014, 03:01 AM

JM thinks it will take a polio outbreak to force the vaccine companies to produce a safer polio vaccine:

"I do believe sadly it's going to take some diseases coming back to realize that we need to change and develop vaccines that are safe. If the vaccine companies are not listening to us, it's their f___ing fault that the diseases are coming back. They're making a product that's s___. If you give us a safe vaccine, we'll use it. It shouldn't be polio versus autism."

Here is the real situation:

1.  The side effects of the current polio vaccine used in the US are no existent or so low that the CDC can't estimate the rate, It's less than the 1 in a million estimated for some other vaccines.

2.  If there was a significant outbreak of polio in the US, the vaccine would become less safe, not safer.  The current vaccine is safe because it's weak.  It was made weaker to make it safer because we have not had a outbreak of paralyzing polio in decades so we are just protecting against reintroduction.  If we had a significant outbreak, the stronger vaccines would make a comeback.

3.  JM advocates B12 shots for autism.  B12 shots are as dangerous as the polio shots that she fear mongers, since the both have a potential for allergic reactions.  And unlike polio shots, using B12 shots for autism is quackery.

4.  JM advocates chelation therapy for autism. Unlike polio shots in the US, chelation therapy has killed children this decade.  It's more dangerous than polio shots.  And using chelation for autism is quackery.

#80 of 116 Old 04-20-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:

JM thinks it will take a polio outbreak to force the vaccine companies to produce a safer polio vaccine:

"I do believe sadly it's going to take some diseases coming back to realize that we need to change and develop vaccines that are safe. If the vaccine companies are not listening to us, it's their f___ing fault that the diseases are coming back. They're making a product that's s___. If you give us a safe vaccine, we'll use it. It shouldn't be polio versus autism."

Here is the real situation:

1.  The side effects of the current polio vaccine used in the US are no existent or so low that the CDC can't estimate the rate, I
t's less than the 1 in a million estimated for some other vaccines.

2.  If there was a significant outbreak of polio in the US, the vaccine would become less safe, not safer.  The current vaccine is safe because it's weak.  It was made weaker to make it safer because we have not had a outbreak of paralyzing polio in decades so we are just protecting against reintroduction.  If we had a significant outbreak, the stronger vaccines would make a comeback.

3.  JM advocates B12 shots for autism.  B12 shots are as dangerous as the polio shots that she fear mongers, since the both have a potential for allergic reactions.  And unlike polio shots, using B12 shots for autism is quackery.

4.  JM advocates chelation therapy for autism. Unlike polio shots in the US, chelation therapy has killed children this decade.  It's more dangerous than polio shots.  And using chelation for autism is quackery.

You're cherry-picking "facts" for your "real situation" scenario. The facts you left out:

1) We don't know the rate of side effects of the polio vaccine used in the US, because vaccine side effects are not adequately studied, either when the vaccine is given alone, or when it's given at the same times as others, and because there is much that is still unknown about autoimmune response to vaccines. Vaccine side effects, particularly those that take longer to present symptoms, such as autoimmune reactions, continue to be under-recognized and under-reported.

If we don't know the rate of side effects, we can't say they are non-existent or rare.

2) I believe that JM is hoping, as many of us are hoping, that a safer and more effective polio vaccines would replace the current vaccine for polio, rather than the old vaccine coming back.

3) Many children with autism are clinically B-12 deficient. B-12 supplementation, which can be either shots or sublingual pills, is essential for these children. B-12 deficiency results in neurological issues. Treating it is not quackery. Citation needed for your claim that potential for allergic reaction to the shot (which could as effectively be replace by sublingual pill) carries the same risk (not just for allergy, but for all adverse reactions) as the polio shot.

4) Using chelation for clinically proven mercury poisoning is not quackery. Some autistic children have clinically proven mercury poisoning. The death from chelation in the US (only one that I found) was caused by an incompetent doctor using the wrong chelating agent--a medical error. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1592402/

Medical error has also resulted in incompetent surgeons removing the wrong limb or organ, or leaving a sponge inside a patient's body. Would you forbid all surgeries based on that? Would you call all surgeries "quackery" based on that? http://www.webmd.com/news/20121220/thousands-mistakes-surgery
#81 of 116 Old 04-20-2014, 07:30 AM

JM recommends B12 shots (and some other shots, or some other compounds along with B12 in the shots)  in her book Healing and Preventing Autism: A Complete Guide.

#82 of 116 Old 04-20-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Chelation is a therapy for heavy metal toxicity, not because a child has been diagnosed with autism.  It is also the method they use to extract thimerosal from vaccines in the production phase. 

Chelation is the therapy they would use if your child tested having high levels of lead.

"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Astrophysicist/GMO defender
#83 of 116 Old 04-20-2014, 10:45 AM

In Healing and Preventing Autism: A Complete Guide,  JM recommends injections galore.  Secretin injections, glutathione injections,  b12 injections, Folic Acid injections,Cysteine injections,  BFC injections (B12, Folic Acid, and Cysteine together), injections every other day.

She claims injections are painless. The CDC could learn a thing or two from her about pushing injections.

None of these injections have statistically significant evidence backing them up.

So many injections, so many side effects, I haven't figured them all out.  All or most can cause allergic reactions.  Some are dangerous if your child has or develops liver or kidney disorders.  Need help researching all this stuff.

#84 of 116 Old 04-20-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:

In Healing and Preventing Autism: A Complete Guide,  JM recommends injections galore.  Secretin injections, glutathione injections,  b12 injections, Folic Acid injections,Cysteine injections,  BFC injections (B12, Folic Acid, and Cysteine together), injections every other day.

She claims injections are painless. The CDC could learn a thing or two from her about pushing injections.

None of these injections have statistically significant evidence backing them up.

So many injections, so many side effects, I haven't figured them all out.  All or most can cause allergic reactions.  Some are dangerous if your child has or develops liver or kidney disorders.  Need help researching all this stuff.

tadamsmar,

Have you read all these books by Jenny M? 

"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
#85 of 116 Old 04-20-2014, 11:43 AM

I have read the two books I have referenced.

#86 of 116 Old 04-20-2014, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)

Do you have an autistic child?

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#87 of 116 Old 04-20-2014, 01:31 PM

No.

#88 of 116 Old 04-20-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:

I haven't read any of her books and unless you provide actual quotes from her book, I can't know what was actually stated or within what context these alleged claims were made.

If JM herself had these injections and her experience was that they were painless, then her claim would be valid.  If her son had these injections and she didn't witness him experience any pain, then to say the injections were painless would be valid.  This is why context is important.  

Jenny wrote that book with a doctor.  Is Jenny recommending all the injections or is it the doctor?  Is it more of the case that Jenny is talking about the protocol used for her son and you have perceived this as telling parents what to do?

May I ask why you read her books?

Neil deGrasse Tyson
#89 of 116 Old 04-20-2014, 01:42 PM

My step-grandson has autistic symptoms and his mom is dabbling in alternative medicine.  My wife, her mom, is concerned.   I read the books to get the lay of the land.

#90 of 116 Old 04-20-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:

My step-grandson has autistic symptoms and his mom is dabbling in alternative medicine.  My wife, her mom, is concerned.   I read the books to get the lay of the land.

What do you mean by dabbling?

What are your wife's concerns?  

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page