Advertisement

Old 04-18-2014, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbownurse View Post

I have LOVED this thread. 

Yeah, I'm not ready for a thread lock yet ;) 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 04-18-2014, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Carry on, then, fair lasses. I can speak only for myself. I'm ready for a vaxi-cation!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 04-18-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Wait, what!?!  :mischief

I got a PM asking for clarification about linking other threads/posts here at Mothering. I think generally that's sort of frowned upon if the inclination is to have a gossip. In the case of this thread since we started out talking about a general issue and then it evolved to talking about specific posts we got into a sort of grey area. I'm glad that it ended up being the member whose post we were talking about who eventually linked the thread because that just feels overall better. 

In general, though, we want to be talking issues, which for such a difficult topic I feel like we did ok with.  I hope everyone feels good and that there was come clarity and that we all learned something - I know I did!  

Just out of curiosity, and this is totally OT, but which forums get the most traffic?  Are the vaccine forums up there? 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 04-18-2014, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post

Just out of curiosity, and this is totally OT, but which forums get the most traffic?  Are the vaccine forums up there? 

Yes!  I don't actually look at stats but you can go to "hot posts" at the top and there are almost always at least 3 vax threads there. 

In case anyone wants to know what Mothering was like to post in back in the day...this was it. Fast, fast posts, lots of discussion, hard topics, people working hard to get along even if they disagree. Ya'll took me back. :love

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 04-18-2014, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Carry on, then, fair lasses. I can speak only for myself. I'm ready for a vaxi-cation!

I have frozen margaritas.......
Old 04-18-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

See...she knows! 

champagne.gif

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 04-18-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

See...she knows! 

champagne.gif

Yummy!! Plenty for everyone to share too smile.gif
Old 04-18-2014, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I have hot chocolate and Carolans. 

Old 04-18-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:

I have hot chocolate and Carolans. 

I'm about to bake a dessert that involves pretzels, brownie batter, and a salted caramel topping poured over the entire thing and maybe a batch of homemade twinkies....
Old 04-18-2014, 10:17 PM

Oh you were right, ICM! 

I'm a senior member now guys!   Drinks all around! partytime.gif

champagne.gif

Old 04-18-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

Does tequila count as an adjuvant? Sheepish.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 04-19-2014, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Think it might be the lime and salt acting as the adjuvant for the alcohol in the tequila! wink1.gif

Hope you all don't wake up with hangovers today. smile.gif

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Let's bring this discussion back on topic. The party posting should go to TAO where it is more appropriately hosted. 

Old 04-21-2014, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 126 Post(s)

It does seem odd to me that there is so much interest in location vs facts on content.

When so much is made about the upmost importance of accuracy when even talking about VARS, informed consent,, details, etc., yet so little concern over actual information as in this case publicly identifying a family and using them for propaganda purposes, it seem that is becomes acceptable to just use them and think noting of doing so.

We do now that propaganda and fear based messages are not working but actually have the opposite effect, perhaps more thought will eventually go into rethinking these action in the future.

:wink Those pesky little things like details and permission sometimes do matter. http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/getting-permission-publish-ten-tips-29933.html

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 04-21-2014, 09:19 AM

I think there's been tons of discussion around the facts. Plenty of facts have been provided that they COULD have died from a multitude of things. 
I suppose the question would be who does the picture belong to? the person that took the photo in a public cemetery, the family, or the cemetery? The link you provided was good, but it didn't really answer that question (to me, anyway)

Old 04-21-2014, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think there's been tons of discussion around the facts. Plenty of facts have been provided that they COULD have died from a multitude of things. 
I suppose the question would be who does the picture belong to? the person that took the photo in a public cemetery, the family, or the cemetery? The link you provided was good, but it didn't really answer that question (to me, anyway) It appear at least one site says they hold the copyright to the image that was used and the content as to how the images are to be used. Those little disclaimers hold lots of words.

I see the moral, personal respect issue as well as information content a bigger factor over all. vs site.

Don't get me wrong site location is very important. We don't like posts here from certain sites as they are viewed to not be credible.

A site that thinks nothing of taking an image that personally identifies a family and uses it for only one singular purpose (propaganda) is and should be addressed. What else is accurate and how much respect should be shown to those who support this type of thing. 

Random images in the public domain free of copyright infringement and that do not personally identify individuals are one thing, there are other way of going about getting a message across. But as I said and has been posted elsewhere, trying to sell fear isn't a winner anyway - it's backfiring.

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 04-21-2014, 10:27 AM

I agree that fear mongering doesn't gain anything, in any debate. Nobody has argued otherwise. 
I honestly haven't seen the meme anywhere but here, although when I google image search, it pops up everywhere. 
It's a meme, it's not meant to be accurate, or morally correct or anything like that. 

Old 04-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You post is the only one worth the time to look at. All the rest are so full of over details that have no reference today. 

Old 04-21-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I agree that fear mongering doesn't gain anything, in any debate. Nobody has argued otherwise. 

I honestly haven't seen the meme anywhere but here, although when I google image search, it pops up everywhere. 

It's a meme, it's not meant to be accurate, or morally correct or anything like that. 

Make or spreading propaganda, I see no difference in the moral distinction.

&

Old 04-21-2014, 06:49 PM

Between this headstone meme and that Happy Ishtar thing that went around, I'm really starting to think there needs to be a meme-check site, maybe a cross between Snopes and Factcheck.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Between this headstone meme and that Happy Ishtar thing that went around, I'm really starting to think there needs to be a meme-check site, maybe a cross between Snopes and Factcheck

I love it. Meme-check

User Tag List