Is FDA cracking down on false autism "cure" claims? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-30-2014, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm394757.htm

"April is National Autism Awareness Month, a fitting time to think about the growing need for concern and awareness about autism.

One thing that is important to know up front: There is no cure for autism. So, products or treatments claiming to “cure” autism do not work as claimed. The same is true of many products claiming to “treat” autism. Some may carry significant health risks.

According to Gary Coody, R.Ph., FDA’s national health fraud coordinator, the agency has warned a number of companies that they are facing possible legal action if they continue to make false or misleading claims about products and therapies claiming to treat or cure autism. 

Some of the therapies listed include:  Chelation, Oxygen therapy, Miracle Mineral Solution, Clay Baths, CocoKefir probiotic products. 

So for discussion/debate, do you think this is a good step? 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#2 of 9 Old 04-30-2014, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)

Those who are personally effected by autism really IMO are the only ones qualified to address this - they live it.

Those who deal with cancer and seek "alternative" treatments are also in this same category IMO and others really have NO right to deny anyone or any parent hope, those who don't see may one day find themselves on the receiving end of such arguments. 

mothering has a "health" and a "special needs parenting" section for those directly dealing with it

I can't grasp why this is posted here in "vaccines" if over and over it is claimed vaccines have nothing to do with autism, unless they really DO!

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 9 Old 04-30-2014, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family is personally affected by autism. Autism has lead to profound sorrow, frustration, and grief for us. If there was a cure for autism, I would go to the ends of the Earth to obtain it.

I don't see the FDA statement as something meant to diminish hope. In fact, I think it helps preserve parents and other family members from the crush of false hope that is propagated by those who create and sell snake oil "therapies."
prosciencemum likes this.
#4 of 9 Old 04-30-2014, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnra View Post

My family is personally affected by autism. Autism has lead to profound sorrow, frustration, and grief for us. If there was a cure for autism, I would go to the ends of the Earth to obtain it.

I don't see the FDA statement as something meant to diminish hope. In fact, I think it helps preserve parents and other family members from the crush of false hope that is propagated by those who create and sell snake oil "therapies."

I very much agree with your first paragraph.

As per the second paragraph, I have no real issues with parents spending money as they see fit to address their children issues. While I agree with consumer protection laws,  I think we need to take care not to step over a line into paternalism.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#5 of 9 Old 04-30-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)

I'd like to see mainstream medicine and health agencies held to the same standard.

Because if they were we wouldn't hear/read things like:

- Babies can safely handle 100,00 vaccines at once.

-Vaccines are totally safe.  (Because the Supreme Court ruled otherwise)

- Drinking fluoride is safe.

- GMO food is safe

FDA, heal thyself.

"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Astrophysicist/GMO defender
#6 of 9 Old 04-30-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't this topic only indirectly related to vaccines? Would H&H be a more appropriate forum?

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#7 of 9 Old 04-30-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't this topic only indirectly related to vaccines? Would H&H be a more appropriate forum?
Agreed. Here it's just a fight waiting to happen. Not really needed in my mind and it just distracts from any real conversation that could take place on the topic.
IdentityCrisisMama likes this.
#8 of 9 Old 04-30-2014, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post

One thing that is important to know up front: There is no cure for autism. So, products or treatments claiming to “cure” autism do not work as claimed. The same is true of many products claiming to “treat” autism.

No, there is no official maistream accepted cure or treatment yet. This does not mean no cure or treatment exists.

Consider autism misdiagnosis. Some parents are successfully treating their autistic children with "alternative" therapies, and learn their children really had an underlying problem that resulted in autistic-like behavior. After the child is healed or the symptoms lessen, the doctors reverse their diagnosis to claim the child never had autism to begin with. Good job, doc! What if the parent had never tried the successful alternative therapies? These doctors routinely claim there is no cure, so don't try. Following that advice, would the symptoms remain, and would the child still be considered autistic? You bet! Since the medical authorities know so little about the causes of autism, how can they definitively state there is no treatment or cure? (All while developing autism vaccines and recommending psychoactive drugs.) 

The FDA needs to have its own fraud investigation. 

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#9 of 9 Old 04-30-2014, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I think it's fascinating that the FDA has approved ADD/ADHD drugs to "treat" autism, while ignoring the subgroup of autistic children with autoimmune issues, intestinal disorders, vitamin deficiencies, and food intolerances, all of which are proven to exacerbate and even cause symptoms of autism.

Evidence of still more corruption....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page