This is one of Big Pharma's first forays into patient compliance through electronic medical records - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 05-01-2014, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

http://www.fiercevaccines.com/story/looking-sales-growth-merck-rolls-out-vaccine-adherence-plan/2014-05-01

Quote:
Partnering with Practice Fusion, Merck will use the electronic health records provider's platform to alert doctors and patients about upcoming or missed vaccines based on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's recommended list of vaccinations for adults. Merck markets several big sellers among the agency's suggested jabs, including Zostavax for shingles and Gardasil for HPV.
applejuice likes this.
#2 of 28 Old 05-01-2014, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Sounds like a useful tool to remind adults when they might need boosters.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#3 of 28 Old 05-01-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

It's basically like the automated emails I get reminding me to make a dental appointment or other medical appointment.

#4 of 28 Old 05-01-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)

So is Merck directly going to alert patients about missed vaccines?  I'm wondering about privacy issues.  

applejuice likes this.
#5 of 28 Old 05-01-2014, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics View Post

So is Merck directly going to alert patients about missed vaccines?  I'm wondering about privacy issues.  

i'm guessing when a person has an appt, a little red flag wil appear on the pc screen indicating which vaccines to push, er, recommend,...

Quote:
Partnering with Practice Fusion, Merck will use the electronic health records provider's platform to alert doctors and patients about upcoming or missed vaccines based on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's recommended list of vaccinations for adults. Merck markets several big sellers among the agency's suggested jabs, including Zostavax for shingles and Gardasil for HPV.

and let's not forget the $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Quote:

This is one of Big Pharma's first forays into patient compliance through electronic medical records. Traditionally, it's been the role of healthcare payers to intervene on isues like overdue vaccinations.

But Merck will take any boost in sales it can get in light of lackluster sales from its pharma unit in 2013, which sank 8% to $44 billion from 2012. For Merck, its vaccines unit seems like a logical place to focus on growth. In 2013, sales of Gardasil swelled 12% to reach $1.8 billion, up from $1.6 billion in 2012. Zostavax sales grew even more, with revenues expanding by 16% to $758 million last year.

applejuice and sassyfirechick like this.
#6 of 28 Old 05-01-2014, 05:07 PM

Thanks emmy526.

It's just reading this line:

Quote:
 Merck will use the electronic health records provider's platform to alert doctors and patients about upcoming or missed vaccines

I was not certain if Merck would have access to the medical records of patients.

I certainly wouldn't want a pharmaceutical company having access to my medical records.  And one would hope that a patient would have to give consent first.  But I don't have much faith.

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.
#7 of 28 Old 05-01-2014, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I heard a speaker once who made the case that HIPAA was actually all about *eroding away* at patient privacy, not tightening it up. The law actually *expanded* the circle of access to our medical records. I'll have to find my old notes, but it infuriates me that private corporations may have access to this extremely personal data. irked.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#8 of 28 Old 05-01-2014, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

That's fine if you consent, i.e. opt-in. Otherwise, there are some serious privacy issues.

Doctor's offices frequently send out these kinds of reminders. It's a tad annoying for those of us who already have decided on our own vaccine schedules, but I don't think it's illegal or unethical. But for private corporations to do this based on my personally identifiable health information is unacceptable.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#9 of 28 Old 05-02-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

That's fine if you consent, i.e. opt-in. Otherwise, there are some serious privacy issues.

Doctor's offices frequently send out these kinds of reminders. It's a tad annoying for those of us who already have decided on our own vaccine schedules, but I don't think it's illegal or unethical. But for private corporations to do this based on my personally identifiable health information is unacceptable.

It's also another strike against the "vaccines don't make pharma any money" argument.  So vaccines already don't make them any money but now they are going to lose even more money through the cost of mailing reminders?    

Mirzam and BeckyBird like this.
#10 of 28 Old 05-02-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics View Post

It's also another strike against the "vaccines don't make pharma any money" argument.  So vaccines already don't make them any money but now they are going to lose even more money through the cost of mailing reminders?    

Let's be frank here, the adult vaccination sector is a huge and as offer great potential for expanding sales. They have their marketing partners, CDC, AMA, etc already pushing sales to this segment, they have outlets at big chain grocery stores and pharmacies, they now need to expand this to doctor's offices with a product to remind physicians to offer their products to potential captive customers. 

Sound business sense and a great money maker.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#11 of 28 Old 05-02-2014, 07:29 AM

I totally agree Mirzam.

#12 of 28 Old 05-02-2014, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

It's basically like the automated emails I get reminding me to make a dental appointment or other medical appointment.

It's like the company that processes mercury sending you a reminder to have your cavity filled. (after the dentist sent them your file, of course.)

Mirzam, applejuice and samaxtics like this.

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#13 of 28 Old 05-05-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

It's like the company that processes mercury sending you a reminder to have your cavity filled. (after the dentist sent them your file, of course.)

It's a conspiracy!

#14 of 28 Old 05-05-2014, 05:18 AM

No its busine$$.

serenbat and samaxtics like this.

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#15 of 28 Old 05-05-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

No its busine$$.

No, conspiracy. 

#16 of 28 Old 05-05-2014, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

No its busine$$.

Odd how money is connected with all other meds but never with vaccines! Yup buying it!!!

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#17 of 28 Old 05-05-2014, 05:55 AM

And no one said it was conspiracy. It's all about selling vaccines to a huge, largely untapped market. 

BeckyBird likes this.

#18 of 28 Old 05-05-2014, 06:02 AM

Well, the line of thinking going on in this thread makes me feel like I'm on a conspiracy forum.  

#19 of 28 Old 05-05-2014, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Well, the line of thinking going on in this thread makes me feel like I'm on a conspiracy forum.  

Does assuming that the pharmaceutical industry is motivated by potential profits more than by public health count as a conspiracy theory now?

BeckyBird and Taximom5 like this.
#20 of 28 Old 05-05-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

Does assuming that the pharmaceutical industry is motivated by potential profits more than by public health count as a conspiracy theory now?

No, never has.  All businesses need to make money off the goods they provide.  This world runs on money.  My conspiracy comment was sarcasm. 

#21 of 28 Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

No, never has.  All businesses need to make money off the goods they provide.  This world runs on money.  My conspiracy comment was sarcasm. 

Oops, my sarcasm detection doesn't kick in before coffee, I've got to stop checking the boards while under-caffeinated.

#22 of 28 Old 05-05-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:

This means what?

Does it mean those here are conspiracists? 

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#23 of 28 Old 05-05-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

This means what?

Keep reading.  

#24 of 28 Old 05-05-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

This means what?

Quote:

Keep reading.  

That did not answer my questions? Does it mean those here are conspiracists? 

&

#25 of 28 Old 05-05-2014, 08:30 AM

I actually answered that earlier in this thread.  

#26 of 28 Old 05-05-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:

I actually answered that earlier in this thread.  

In what number post did you answer my questions?

I can't find the answers to my questions - where again are they?  Please provide the post number.

Quote:

Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

This means what?

&

#27 of 28 Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 AM

someone else asked a similar question.  I said it was sarcasm.  

#28 of 28 Old 05-05-2014, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

The conspiracy comment wasn't necessary to detract the thread from a real purpose.  Anywho, I'm surprised it took them this long to do this with adults as there was already a big to-do about this with Pfizer supplying and insurance companies sending out cards to parents to "remind" them that their child was not up to date on certain vaxxes.  I received 2 in the mail for my DD and one voicemail - reported all 3 as HIPAA violations.  It was deemed a non-issue BUT mysteriously I stopped getting reminders....funny how that worked out.  They were open faced postcards that anyone could read, then they switched to a closed card, but the message was the same.  I'm sorry but it's no business of my insurance carrier if or when I choose to vax - that's between me and my doc.  All they need to know is how to pay for it based on what they get billed.  But it shows that they are already tracking kids.  Adults were never far behind in that line of thinking.  The fact that these mailers are being funded by the groups who will benefit from the services....well yes that is business.  They expect to spend a certain amount on "advertising" a to get a certain percentage in return.  Typically you start off in a market you think will have a high turnout rate and expand from there.  But the fact that we are talking about individual's health and attempting to rope people in like grocery store checkout lines loaded with toys to get parents to make a last minute purchase to shut the kids up....pretty disturbing.  But people will fall for it sadly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page