• 2 Post By IdentityCrisisMama
  • 2 Post By Mirzam
  • 1 Post By cynthia mosher
  • 2 Post By julie128

#1 of 26 Old 05-16-2014, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's been years since I've posted to MDC.  I just really need a safe place to express my frustration that the camp I signed my daughter up for requires complete vaccinations.  She's 10.  She has had at least one dose--usually more--of everything, except Hep B.  I see no need for a 10 year old to get this one.  We were planning on waiting until she was in her late teens, when it might actually be useful and last until she might actually be exposed to it.  And they want her to get all three doses in the next two months before camp.  Grrrr.  I will probably take her to get one, but not three.  Dang.  And even if we get her that one, there will--unfortunately--be time to get the next two before next summer.  That's assuming she likes that camp.  I already hate it.

I noticed several posts about which vaxes people would and wouldn't do, and reports of censorship of anti-vax opinions, and stuff like that.  I have to say that I'm in favor of getting most vaccines, but very much opposed to forcing people to get them.  That's none of anyone's business but your own.  This is not a dictatorship.  This is the United States, supposedly the land of the free.  Maybe that's only a lyric. 

*sigh*  Just needed to get that off my chest.  Trying to release the resentment.  I just read that resentment is like taking poison and expecting the other guy to die from it. 

applejuice likes this.
#2 of 26 Old 05-16-2014, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I hear you. Vent all you need!
kathymuggle likes this.
#3 of 26 Old 05-16-2014, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know you don't have to do it, right?
BeckyBird likes this.
#4 of 26 Old 05-16-2014, 10:08 PM

I am almost positive that you can get an exemption for camp just like you can for public school.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#5 of 26 Old 05-16-2014, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Would you mind editing your title? I don't want my kids to accidentally read that kind of language.

Hep B isn't just sexually transmitted. I can imagine there are lots of normal 10 yo activities that could result in accidental exposure.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#6 of 26 Old 05-17-2014, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Would you mind editing your title? I don't want my kids to accidentally read that kind of language.

Hep B isn't just sexually transmitted. I can imagine there are lots of normal 10 yo activities that could result in accidental exposure.

But you don't mind your kids accidentally reading ""Hep B isn't just sexually transmitted?"
#7 of 26 Old 05-17-2014, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)

PSM, it is possible to position the thread so the title doesn't show on your screen.

In Canadian that word, if not immediately followed by the word "off",  means drunk. :D

Thankfully we don't need vaccines for school or camps here.  

"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Astrophysicist/GMO defender
#8 of 26 Old 05-17-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:

ok, IRL I can see asking someone to watch their language in front of kids, but I think online there is faaarrrr worse that id be worried about them accidentally reading. Good grief :/
BeckyBird and sassyfirechick like this.
#9 of 26 Old 05-17-2014, 10:53 AM

I thought I'd ask nicely. I'm not regularly frequenting other websites with worse language.

Also means drunk in UK. I just don't want to explain possible meanings to my seven year old.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#10 of 26 Old 05-17-2014, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)

PSM, I recall you telling me that debate forums were not for me when I pointed out something I found offensive.  

sassyfirechick likes this.

"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Astrophysicist/GMO defender
#11 of 26 Old 05-17-2014, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:

I thought I'd ask nicely. I'm not regularly frequenting other websites with worse language.

Also means drunk in UK. I just don't want to explain possible meanings to my seven year old.

How were you planning on explaining possible meanings of "sexually transmitted" to your seven year old?

sassyfirechick and samaxtics like this.
#12 of 26 Old 05-17-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

My daughter is older than psm's, but I would rather explain the biology of "sexually transmitted" than why adults choose to use language I don't let her use.

prosciencemum likes this.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#13 of 26 Old 05-17-2014, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Now I'm curious about what the offensive title was?  By the time I found this it was already sanitised to "Pissed that camp requires all vaccines, including Hep B".

And, to stay on topic a little bit: was the vaccination requirement stated clearly in the registration information?  If it wasn't stated up front you might have grounds to get a refund if you cancel.

BeckyBird likes this.
#14 of 26 Old 05-17-2014, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

Now I'm curious about what the offensive title was?  By the time I found this it was already sanitised to "Pissed that camp requires all vaccines,

You didn't miss it. The title hasn't been edited.
sassyfirechick likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#15 of 26 Old 05-17-2014, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Do they require proof? If not, you could just say she is fully vaccinated, and provide believable, but fake dates. That's what I do for my child's summer camp, which has required DTaP and MMR. They never asked for proof. My child's summer camp would probably accept an exemption, but I didn't want to ask, even anonymously. I don't want to get their radar up!

If you've already told them that your daughter is not vaccinated, you wouldn't be able to do the same as me. But I really do think they would accept an exemption, if you talked to the right person.

I don't think any summer camp is worth giving a vaccine that you don't want to give. And if they don't allow an exemption for hepatitis B, that is ridiculous. Even health care professionals, who are in a much higher risk group for acquiring hepatitis B, are protected by federal law allowing exemptions.

applejuice likes this.
#16 of 26 Old 05-17-2014, 04:35 PM

I might be missing something here but I don't see anything weird or offensive about the title!? Otherwise i still think you can get a waiver. I can't see why it would not be possible.
applejuice and rachelsmama like this.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#17 of 26 Old 05-17-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

You can't just say that pissed is a rude word for "mad"? My 3 & 5 year old could handle that explanation...

sassyfirechick and samaxtics like this.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#18 of 26 Old 05-17-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Op, do you have to show them the actual vax record?

applejuice likes this.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#19 of 26 Old 05-17-2014, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I find the idea of lying about vaxes to be debate-worthy in itself.  If you don't like the camp's requirements, don't go.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#20 of 26 Old 05-17-2014, 10:59 PM

Is the camp in a different state that requires HepB but in your state it's not required? 

If in the same state, I would submit what you've submitted for school and if they follow up inquiring about HepB, tell them it's not required in "our state." Or that you have a waiver with the school, if that's the case.

Sometimes camps change their forms and don't realize that something is wrong on them. (My years are likely wrong on this, but for example... one camp near us added Rota to their "required" list in about 2011, even though kids attending their camp had to have been born in 2004 or earlier, and in 2004 Rota vaccine didn't exist. And Rota can't be given to 7 year old children and up, only infants. I just submitted our paperwork with N/A on the "Rota" line, as apparently all the other parents did as well.)

If it's in a different state... I think you could submit with just the 1 HepB, and see if it's brought up at all. 

Or if you've already talked about it, can you get something from your doctor showing that he/she approves your plan for later series completion?

If none of these apply, sorry! That sucks! You might want to see if you can get the deposit returned if their policies weren't clear before sign up. 

applejuice likes this.

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#21 of 26 Old 05-18-2014, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie128 View Post

Trying to release the resentment.  I just read that resentment is like taking poison and expecting the other guy to die from it. 

First, I love this!  

Second, I agree that maybe just talking to the camp would be a good way to go. Perhaps they will let you fill out an exemption. CA still has the philosophical exemption, right?  My selective/delayed child started school in CA and we used the philosophical exemption. 

Back on the topic of resentment, I find that talking to people, especially with the posture of, "Can you tell me more about this..." goes a long, long way towards improving relations. You may hear that they really haven't thought much about it and are just following the school requirements and upon knowing your reasons for not vaxing for Hep-B will welcome an exemption. Or, you may hear that this camp sees a large number of injuries and that Hep-B is a specific concern. 

HappyHappyMommy and BeckyBird like this.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#22 of 26 Old 05-18-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)

My son's soccer club requires that he be up to date on the CDC recommended vaccinations and on the health form they list the required vaccinations and ask for proof of vaccination. I simply provide the school (religious) exemption with his health form. I think my DH told the director of youth soccer when my son first joined the club as a 10 year old (now 14), that we do not vaccinate and if that is problem we would have to go elsewhere. It has never been a problem, every year we have submitted the health form with an exemption and they haven't said a word. He even traveled to Costa Rica with the club and they didn't say anything about his vaccination status.

I agree with the PP who said submit your school exemption and see what happens.

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#23 of 26 Old 05-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

julie128 - I I edited the title as it may indeed be offensive to some and while it may be fine in a post, as a thread title it isn't a good idea to use such terms.

prosciencemom - please leave the posting of edit requests up to us. You reported the post AND posted to ask the individual to edit. If you want to ask the member to edit please do that by PM. That would be the appropriate way to make such a request. Posting it in the thread just takes the discussion off track and into disagreement. 

HappyHappyMommy likes this.

#24 of 26 Old 05-18-2014, 12:06 PM

Ok noted.

Just an fyi - I requested in thread first and only flagged for mods when that request was ridiculed.

Sorry for the derailing.

#25 of 26 Old 07-10-2014, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had no idea "pissed" was a banned word. I wasn't ignoring you, btw, I just hadn't been back to check this posting.

The camp said--and this is probably true--that since camp is an optional activity and not mandatory like school, that there are no exemptions. And we were past the refund date.

We got her the first shot in the Hep B series, and she had a reaction to it. I think it was a reaction from the adrenaline rush from actually getting the shot and not from the medicine itself. Still, it was enough that we do not have to make her get the 2nd and 3rd shots. We were both pretty mad, though.
applejuice and beckybird like this.
#26 of 26 Old 07-11-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
If the camp is supported by public and/or government funds as a 4H camp, that would probably not be true.

Just the same, I hope your child is having a great summer!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page