Medical Professionals Lying to Parents/Others - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2014, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlec View Post

I have had several great experiences with medical professionals. And not great ones. I think it's harder when you go against the grain though, in general. I had trouble when giving birth because I didn't want my Pitocin turned up as often as they normally do it. Someone in another room, who was perfectly fine with the routine procedures probably had a pretty good experience because she did what she was told, no questions asked.

Yes I had a friend who had a "great" experience at the same hospital I gave birth at but she said yes to everything. Unfortunately she had the same approach for her second (saying "yes" to everything) and ended up with a c-section for "failure to progress" (I.e we don't want to wait) and ended up traumatized anyway greensad.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)

Additionally, when you click on the Pediatrics facebook link in the comments it states his name plain as day so I'm not sure what the big conspiracy is supposed to be? 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 05-23-2014, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics View Post

These parents should have the fundamental human right to refuse a prophylactic procedure.  Children are not the property of the state or medical industrial complex

I agree!

The hospital can recommend a vaccine, but should never try to force or threaten parents.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 05-23-2014, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post

Additionally, when you click on the Pediatrics facebook link in the comments it states his name plain as day so I'm not sure what the big conspiracy is supposed to be? 

But only IF you click on the link. If you just read the Facebook names it gives the impression that two different people are commenting. 

Old 05-23-2014, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Quote:

Tested when?  During her pregnancy?  If not, then that's not very relevant that she was tested at some point in her life for Hep B.  Obviously, her status could have changed which is why they test for things like herpes, hep b etc for every pregnancy. 

So if they don't want to believe the mother, then why don't they test the mother in the hospital before giving her child a vaccine s/he most likely doesn't need?  

Quote:

And again, her status could have changed since she tested.  According to this link, up to 2% of the US population currently has chronic Hep B.  That's not a small number.  (http://www.hepb.org/pdf/Final%20OB%20publications_The%20Female%20Patient.pdf

So estimations are now official stats?  Reread your link.

Quote:
 And according to this link, 1 in 20 americans have been infected with Hep B. (http://www.hepb.org/patients/general_information.htm

Great.   And where does it list the (reliable) source for that statistic on that page?  

And how many of those cleared the infection and now have protective anti-bodies?

Quote:
 So you can't find a reliable source then?

I don't know if that source is even unreliable (have never seen it before) so I can't be bothered.  The pro-vax doctor must find it reliable enough to warrant his comments (under both his profiles).

Remember though, arguing against the source of the info instead of the info itself can come back to bite you later.

"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Astrophysicist/GMO defender
Old 05-23-2014, 11:57 AM

HIPPA laws, are those the female version of HIPPY laws?

(if you're of Slavic heritage, you'll get the play on words) 

:D 

"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 05-23-2014, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

It's  HIPAA, not HIPPA.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

That is for post 27.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 05-23-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post

It's  HIPAA, not HIPPA.

I figured it was quite possible that Teacozy mis-typed it, that's why I used humour. :D 

But she may appreciate your correction.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 05-23-2014, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

It's a common mistake. When I search this forum for HIPPA I get 104 results. But when I search for HIPAA it's only 97.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:

In any case, as was pointed out, administering the Hep B vaccine within 12 hours when a mother has an unknown status is absolutely the standard of care here in the US.

No, the standard of care is to TEST the mother for Hep B during pregnancy.

Babies are not the property of the hospital, and there is no law requiring hep b vaccination of a healthy newborn in the absence of evidence of infection in the he mother. Nor is there a law requiring any invasive treatment for AIDS, drug abuse, or alcohol addiction in the absence of evidence of infection/use in the mother.

Where exactly do you want to draw the line? We've already seen cases of newborns taken from their breastfeeding mothers for drug abuse, where it turned out the mother had never taken drugs but had eaten poppyseed bagels before labor.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/02/elizabeth-mort-poppy-seed-bagel_n_3535513.html

http://www.allgov.com/news/unusual-news/mother-wins-settlement-after-child-welfare-took-away-her-baby-because-she-ate-poppy-seeds-in-pasta-dressing-130823?news=850927

You seem to be okay with a disturbing amount of hospital/state interference between mothers and babies,
Old 05-24-2014, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:

Since children are not the property of parents

Whose "property" are they?

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 05-24-2014, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

I was wondering too...

Old 05-24-2014, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

I was wondering too...

@teacozy Me three.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

I was wondering too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

@teacozy Me three.

Sus

Hell, I'll hop on this crazy train. Me four!

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

Old 05-24-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

Can I get a ride too? I would really like to know tea's answer to this question because I didn't think she was a conspiracy theorist. Me five!

UBUNTU!

I'll squeeze in here too. 

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 05-24-2014, 10:16 AM

I think in law Children used to be the property of their parents. Nowadays the parents are he guardians and as such have all decision making authority. That's why forced interventions on women in labour is so weird, there's no legal bias for it whatsoever. Even of you accept the unborn child as a patient, the rightful decision maker is the parent, not the doctor/mw and the proper recourse if there's a treatment refused that's medically necessary would would CPS.

Children are not property, but if they were its clear that their parents would "own" them, not the hositpals
Old 05-24-2014, 10:17 AM

Back to the original question of medical professionals lying - when I was in labour with my first the nurse told me there are "no risks" with a c-section. Obviously this did not instill any faith whatsoever in anything she told me
Old 05-24-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola P View Post

I think in law Children used to be the property of their parents. Nowadays the parents are he guardians and as such have all decision making authority. That's why forced interventions on women in labour is so weird, there's no legal bias for it whatsoever. Even of you accept the unborn child as a patient, the rightful decision maker is the parent, not the doctor/mw and the proper recourse if there's a treatment refused that's medically necessary would would CPS.

Children are not property, but if they were its clear that their parents would "own" them, not the hositpals

I agree for the most part however I would not refer to myself as a guardian; I am the parent a term which for natural and adoptive parents has a special meaning/definition in law.

Quote:

In its most restricted use, the term parent refers only to a mother or father who is related to the child by blood. This definition holds whether the child is legitimate (the natural parents are married to each other) or illegitimate (the parents are not married to each other). As of 2003, as a result of statutes, adoptive parents have the same rights and responsibilities as natural parents. Other persons standing in the place of natural parents, such as stepparents, are not, however, given such extensive rights and responsibilities. Although in some instances foster parents and foster care agencies have the legal responsibility to nurture a minor, they are not entitled to the full status of parent. 

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Parent+and+Child

I wish they would just use "born out of wedlock" or some other term instead of "illegitimate".  :irked

Anyways this is what that link also has to say about a parent's authority:

Quote:

A parent's power over his child includes the authority and obligation to oversee medical treatment. A parent will most likely be held guilty of criminal neglect if he disregards the health requirements of his child. In cases where essential medical treatment is not procured for a child, juvenile authorities will start proceedings to provide care for the child and disciplinary action for the parent.

A controversial issue arises when a child is ill and the parents refuse health treatment for religious reasons. In an emergency that would jeopardize the child's life, a court may override the parental consent requirement and authorize treatment. A much greater obstacle exists when the parents, on religious grounds, refuse to provide their child with medical care that is important but not life threatening.

Refusing the Hep B at birth for a child whose mother is not known to be a carrier is not neglect.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 05-24-2014, 11:52 AM

Where I am the law says the parents are guardians, unless an order or exemption in the act applies
Old 05-24-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been lied to an belittled plenty of times in the US. I didn't experience that back home. Arrogance and resistance against questions runs high among US doctors, RNs/PAs you  name it. They come in, rattle of their list of questions, expect you to nod and do what you are told. DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS. Not cool. You waste their precious time. I do think many practitioners do not understand that I hire them to figure out a problem. They also don't understand that I take charge of my health and will want to discuss different meds when applicable. Case in point: when I had UTIs I wanted nursing-friendly antibiotics that are applicable to my bacteria infestation (long story, recurring, the normal go to antis didn't cut it, but there are others that are approved for nursing moms, but you know you'd actually have to look that up on your computer!). Or when I went in for a yeast that wouldn't go, I got crap for refusing a rifampicin shot for my potential syphilis case. Really? The whole system is so paternalistic and expects the dumbest patient ever who cheats left and right and is a walking STD. You can simply explain risks and benefits and take it from there. And if you realize that your patient actually cares about what med to choose, indulge them. I have found good practitioners after long searches, but we lived in small towns with NO choices. I drove 90 miles to have my baby at a birthing center and not in the C-section happy/everyone gets episiotomies/epidurals/hell no food-hospital.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:03 PM

@pp I ended up driving 2 hours with my second to avoid the same stuff you mention.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics View Post

I agree for the most part however I would not refer to myself as a guardian; I am the parent a term which for natural and adoptive parents has a special meaning/definition in law.

I wish they would just use "born out of wedlock" or some other term instead of "illegitimate".  :irked

Anyways this is what that link also has to say about a parent's authority:

Refusing the Hep B at birth for a child whose mother is not known to be a carrier is not neglect.

How bout they just don't say any of that at all.  Out of wedlock is just as disgusting as illegitimate.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

How bout they just don't say any of that at all.  Out of wedlock is just as disgusting as illegitimate.

Yah, I'm not sure under what circumstance that info is relevant anyway.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

User Tag List