Medical Professionals Lying to Parents/Others - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 05-21-2014, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Or not taking their concerns seriously.....

It's happened to me more times than i care to count....How about you?    Some results of being lied to, or not taken seriously about my concerns for myself or child, have ended up with me or child  in the hospital.   

applejuice likes this.
#2 of 54 Old 05-21-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I find it hard to tell when medical personnel are lying and when they are just ignorant (or mistaken, or busy, or a combination.)

I had an ER nurse tell me that my son's fever, 12 days after his MMRV, was too late to have been caused by the vaccine. I don't know if she was lying, or was just unfamiliar with the data. They said it was probably some asymptomatic virus that was going around that causes a high fever (104.8 F). 3 days of fever, no other symptoms. I'm pretty sure it was the shot.

CDC says the "highest risk" period for high fever can occur 5-12 days after vaccination, and the risk presumably continues anytime in the first month given the incubation time of measles.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/combo-vaccines/mmrv/vacopt-factsheet-parent.htm

I think it's extremely unethical for medical professionals to lie to their patients. But my morals don't change based on circumstances. I think dishonesty is wrong. It usually seems to result from a very intentional desire to deceive, or just plain old fear.

rednightingale likes this.
#3 of 54 Old 05-21-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I was given penicillin after telling the doctor I was extremely allergic to it.

I broke out in hives and the doctor said it was flea bites.

I woke up in the middle of the night and could not breathe - the same doctor said it was not connected to the penicillin - IT WAS.

I had a long red line on the bottom of my foot - the doctor said it was ink - no, it was the formation of a blood clot.

The doctor is retired and dead.  Years later, I argue with my dentist over any antibiotics he prescribes as to how close to penicillin it is. He thinks I made it all up. Since the first doctor did not recognize my very obvious life-threatening reaction to penicillin after he prescribed it even after my warning and protests, no one else believes  me.

#4 of 54 Old 05-21-2014, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

My 2.5yo is allergic to oats.  I suspected a sensitivity at 6mos - pediatrician said it was impossible.  I knew better so we avoided them for a while, but at 10mos she had some apple crisp night before we were supposed to drive from CT to SC.  Eyes were a little red, face a was mildly puffy, but we also had family over to visit before we left and so I chalked it up to her being tired and rubbing her eyes.  Until 2am wake up to hit the road, I unzip her pj's to change her diaper and see that she's covered head to toe in a rash and her face is puffy.  Picked up some kids Benadryl at a 24hr Walgreens and hit the road as planned.  I didn't know an acceptable dose since she was under 2, so I grabbed my rescue remedy and got the reaction down that way.

Meanwhile, I'm on the phone with the on call person for her pediatrician, explain the whole scenario, that it's likely an allergy and I JUST need the Benadryl dosage for her weight:  "Well it sounds like she has a non-specific viral illness that will go away on it's own, but you can just wait and make an appointment with her doctor for Monday." My response? "We're 800 miles from home right now and won't be driving back for that, but thanks for not answering my question, you weren't helpful at all." :namaste

Were either of them lying about it not being an allergy?  I suspect the on-call was just reading from a script off a web md diagnosis, so ignorance was to blame there.  But the pediatrician, I think there were definitely times she stretched the truth in an attempt to sway me, especially once I started to decline vaxxes.  She wasn't really educated in allergies, but she made it very clear various times that in her professional opinion, they rarely occur.  I think withholding information and only offering up bits and pieces is just as detrimental as lying.

applejuice likes this.
#5 of 54 Old 05-21-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
so ignorance was to blame there

There is no excuse for ignorance if you are the healthcare provider providing advice.

There is a huge liability for being ignorant and dispensing lousy advice like that, and being paid for it.

Sometimes there is such a terrible God Complex with these professionals. It is strange how often they are so very wrong and out of touch despite their years of education and training.

littlec and sassyfirechick like this.
#6 of 54 Old 05-21-2014, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I find the stories of bad interactions with medical professionals posted on here very sad. I'm very sorry that you have had these experiences. I've always had pretty good experiences with the medical profession. Guess I've been lucky.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#7 of 54 Old 05-21-2014, 05:32 PM

You are in another country.

I had a friend who took her son to the ER for stitches to close a head wound. It bled profusely. She waited an hour and was finally signed in and waited another two hours.  Three hours!  The wound stopped bleeding, and her son was fine.  She was not going to be seen for a while STILL! and so she left.

As it turned out, she got a very large bill for anesthesia, prescription antibiotics, stitches, bandage, X-ray, and final assessment, none of which her son ever had. She never paid it. It was on her credit report for four years, and she refused to pay the bill.

He is grown and has children of his own now.  He is fine. She died of ovarian cancer, sadly.

#8 of 54 Old 05-21-2014, 05:33 PM

My partner teacher took her 87 yr old mother to the ER because she had a stroke, and the nurse offered her a tetanus shot.

Her mother died soon after admission, and it was not from lack of a tetanus shot.

#9 of 54 Old 05-21-2014, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
When my first was born they called a couple times to remind me about vaccinations. When I asked about getting only some they Said that wasn't possible, "you can't pick and choose", so I didn't get any. A year and a half later I went back and they were happy to give me only one vaccine. Are they trained to lie? So confusing. Is that just part of being a medical professional? I can't even count how many times I was lied to during my sons birth. I didn't have any issues with doctors until...
#10 of 54 Old 05-21-2014, 06:45 PM

Get your records from the hospital from your son's birth. That is always an eye opener.

#11 of 54 Old 05-21-2014, 08:49 PM

Yeah I did get the records what was a real eye opener is when the denied stuff that was documented in the file. It was like, really? You want to argue the facts? In my experience ever since I became a mother and had to interact with the medical system in that role I've encountered deceit and even contempt.

Does anyone know if they are taught that deceit is okay if it's for "the greater good"?

Eta; regarding the records, it was pretty jarring and offensive when I realized I had to ask for my sons medical record in order to get a copy if the fetal heart tracings from the EFM belts. In law I'm supposed to be the only patient in the room, yet here's some pretty strong evidence that they were treating me unborn child as a second and distinct patient, who apparently also required a substitute decision maker even though the parents were right there and capacity was never an issue. Ver strange indeed
applejuice likes this.
#12 of 54 Old 05-21-2014, 08:55 PM

Dr. Mendelsohn referred to medical school as"longer education"  He referred to medical school "brainwashing".  He said that anyone with a higher degree has lost the ability to think and change their mind on the basis of common sense.

He would offer condolences if he heard an acquaintance's child was accepted to medical school. MDs believe in what they do, regardless if it helps the patient. 

Being critical of any medical advice and always willing to go for a second, third, or even fourth opinion has kept me safe, so far.

#13 of 54 Old 05-21-2014, 09:01 PM

What a perversion that they now use dr m's teachings to rationalize forcing women to go days without food, and sometimes even water. In any other context it'd be considered and promptly labelled torture, but hey if you're pregnant none of that matters
applejuice likes this.
#14 of 54 Old 05-21-2014, 09:07 PM

When and where did he do that? 

Dr. Mendelsohn ridiculed the routine starving of women in labor in his day; he ridiculed the routine use of IV fluids also during labor.

Dr. Mendelsohn backed Dr. Brewer's diet for pregnant women which allowed salt and encouraged women to eat well, healthy and to satiety. That was revolutionary at the time.

Now, I think some hospitals allow a mom to eat during labor.

#15 of 54 Old 05-21-2014, 09:16 PM

Isn't he the one who posited (in the 50's?) that GA can cause nausea and if a patient vomited while under a GA they might asphyxiate? Mendhelsons syndrome?
#16 of 54 Old 05-21-2014, 09:18 PM

I'm not saying he wasn't a brilliant and cool guy, just I thought he was the one that came up with the theory. I think the more critical aspect is the deduction that starvation must decrease the risk of asphyxiation, which has quite rightly been criticized as mere hypothetical conjecture
#17 of 54 Old 05-22-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Funny you should mention records. When we officially fired our first ped and got DD's records sent to us, she listed DD several times as being "delinquent" in her vax status - NO mention of vax reactions that we had discussed.....

applejuice likes this.
#18 of 54 Old 05-22-2014, 07:46 AM

No that was not him, afaik, Viola P.

He was just a typical but respected pediatrician from Chicago.

He was the medical advisor for LLLI from its beginnings in 1956.

He was respected and was the first Medical advisor to LBJ's Project HeadStart in 1965; he was asked to leave when he publicly made disparaging remarks about government schools.  He wrote books and had a syndicated column from the early 1970s to his death in 1988.

Women were starved in labor long before Robert Saul Mendelsohn was born in 1926 and had his medical license. Mendelsohn is a common surname. Mendelson's Syndrome is from 1913, from an American ob/gyn, Curtis Mendelson. http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Mendelson%27s+syndrome

Chicharronita likes this.
#19 of 54 Old 05-22-2014, 08:03 AM

Ah, thanks

I was forced to go 2 days without food with my first, those dirty bastards. My second was unassisted and had zero violence
applejuice likes this.
#20 of 54 Old 05-22-2014, 08:17 AM

Sorry that you were starved at a time when you needed nourishment; that has been known to cause hypoglycemia in the newborn.

Good for you Viola P! I am the product of unskilled labor and an unassisted home delivery.

#21 of 54 Old 05-22-2014, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It is unfortunate that people are mistreated by medical professionals. I, for the most part, have had good experiences. The midwife who delivered my son encouraged me to eat a popsicle in late first stage, even though I wasn't really feeling like I wanted food all that much. They had a freezer full of them on the L&D ward for just that purpose. 

One situation in which I feel I got bad information was actually regarding a vaccine... we wanted the rotovirus vaccine for our daughter, and were told they didn't have it in stock, but would try to order it, lather, rinse, repeat... she aged out of it and never got it, and only two years later when I asked about the vaccine in anticipation of my son's birth did I learn that the practice doctors had agreed to not stock that vaccine at all. That would have been nice to know when our daughter was a baby, so that we would have known we needed to go elsewhere if we'd wanted it. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#22 of 54 Old 05-22-2014, 09:05 PM

Not sure if this is where to post this, but this pediatrician was on a power trip and threatened parents with loss of their newborn if they did not consent to the Hepatitis B shot.

This is in  Alabama.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1260478/parents-blackmailed-into-vaccine-for-their-newborn-to-keep-baby-from-being-kidnapped-are-now-suing/

serenbat and BeckyBird like this.
#23 of 54 Old 05-22-2014, 09:13 PM

^^ holy crap what is wrong with these people? Makes me want to take my family and go live in a cave in the forest. What is our society coming to. Holy crap, stuff like this scares the crap out of me
applejuice likes this.
#24 of 54 Old 05-22-2014, 09:18 PM

Also, I had a stellar doctor in the second last place I lived in. She was so awsome, even though she had no time she still made you feel heard and respected.
applejuice likes this.
#25 of 54 Old 05-22-2014, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

I find the stories of bad interactions with medical professionals posted on here very sad. I'm very sorry that you have had these experiences. I've always had pretty good experiences with the medical profession. Guess I've been lucky.

I have had several great experiences with medical professionals. And not great ones. I think it's harder when you go against the grain though, in general. I had trouble when giving birth because I didn't want my Pitocin turned up as often as they normally do it. Someone in another room, who was perfectly fine with the routine procedures probably had a pretty good experience because she did what she was told, no questions asked.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#26 of 54 Old 05-22-2014, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

Not sure if this is where to post this, but this pediatrician was on a power trip and threatened parents with loss of their newborn if they did not consent to the Hepatitis B shot.

This is in  Alabama.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1260478/parents-blackmailed-into-vaccine-for-their-newborn-to-keep-baby-from-being-kidnapped-are-now-suing/

Interesting. If you read the comments, there are some from both Vince Ianelli and "About Pediatrics and Parenting Advice," pushing mandatory hep b vaccinations on newborns whose mothers' hep b status is "unknown."

Funny, I thought they were the same person?
applejuice likes this.
#27 of 54 Old 05-23-2014, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

Interesting. If you read the comments, there are some from both Vince Ianelli and "About Pediatrics and Parenting Advice," pushing mandatory hep b vaccinations on newborns whose mothers' hep b status is "unknown."

Do you have any reliable sources for this story?  Putting search terms into google only came up with naturalnews, a site called "police state usa" and this inquisitr link.  I'd hardly call those unbiased or reliable sources.   For example, as commenters pointed out, the linked article "accidentally" forgot to mention that the mother's hep b status was unknown (which is a really important piece of information).  

Lets also keep in mind that we are only hearing one side of the story here.  Due to HIPPA laws, hospitals and doctors are usually prohibited from publicly talking about patients or cases. 

In any case, as was pointed out, administering the Hep B vaccine within 12 hours when a mother has an unknown status is absolutely the standard of care here in the US. Maybe she has a history of IV drug use, maybe her husband had an affair, maybe she had an affair, we just don't know.  Not knowing what the mother's hep b status is makes a big difference in this kind of case.   

I do not think this woman is going to be successful in her lawsuit, I'll just put it that way. 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#28 of 54 Old 05-23-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post

Do you have any reliable sources for this story?  Putting search terms into google only came up with naturalnews, a site called "police state usa" and this inquisitr link.  I'd hardly call those unbiased or reliable sources.  And yet Vince Ianelli posted comments as Vince and About Pediatrics, as Taximom5 pointed out.

For example, as commenters pointed out, the linked article "accidentally" forgot to mention that the mother's hep b status was unknown (which is a really important piece of information). Other commenters pointed out that the mother's hep b status was known to her as she was previously tested. 

Lets also keep in mind that we are only hearing one side of the story here.  Due to HIPPA laws, hospitals and doctors are usually prohibited from publicly talking about patients or cases. 

In any case, as was pointed out, administering the Hep B vaccine within 12 hours when a mother has an unknown status is absolutely the standard of care here in the US. Maybe she has a history of IV drug use, maybe her husband had an affair, maybe she had an affair, we just don't know.  Not knowing what the mother's hep b status is makes a big difference in this kind of case.   I don't think you realize how insulting that is.  Again, her status was known to her.  Just because the hospital doesn't know,  doesn't mean she is a closet IV drug user or her and her husband are unfaithful.  Insinuations of that nature are fighting words to me and my husband.  As long as those parents signed a release form releasing the doctor and hospital of any liability should the child prove to be infected, that should be the end of it.  These parents should have the fundamental human right to refuse a prophylactic procedure.  Children are not the property of the state or medical industrial complex.

#29 of 54 Old 05-23-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

This is in  Alabama.

Funny, I thought they were the same person?

Probably the same person, but using two Facebook accounts. It looks like he has a private one under his name and one that links to his About Pediatrics Facebook page. It does give the impression that there's more people critical of the news story, doesn't it.

applejuice, serenbat and BeckyBird like this.

#30 of 54 Old 05-23-2014, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics View Post

Do you have any reliable sources for this story?  Putting search terms into google only came up with naturalnews, a site called "police state usa" and this inquisitr link.  I'd hardly call those unbiased or reliable sources.  And yet Vince Ianelli posted comments as Vince and About Pediatrics, as Taximom5 pointed out.

So you can't find a reliable source then?

For example, as commenters pointed out, the linked article "accidentally" forgot to mention that the mother's hep b status was unknown (which is a really important piece of information). Other commenters pointed out that the mother's hep b status was known to her as she was previously tested. 

Tested when?  During her pregnancy?  If not, then that's not very relevant that she was tested at some point in her life for Hep B.  Obviously, her status could have changed which is why they test for things like herpes, hep b etc for every pregnancy.  

In any case, as was pointed out, administering the Hep B vaccine within 12 hours when a mother has an unknown status is absolutely the standard of care here in the US. Maybe she has a history of IV drug use, maybe her husband had an affair, maybe she had an affair, we just don't know.  Not knowing what the mother's hep b status is makes a big difference in this kind of case.   I don't think you realize how insulting that is.  Again, her status was known to her.  Just because the hospital doesn't know,  doesn't mean she is a closet IV drug user or her and her husband are unfaithful.  Insinuations of that nature are fighting words to me and my husband.  As long as those parents signed a release form releasing the doctor and hospital of any liability should the child prove to be infected, that should be the end of it.  These parents should have the fundamental human right to refuse a prophylactic procedure.  Children are not the property of the state or medical industrial complex.

And again, her status could have changed since she tested.  According to this link, up to 2% of the US population currently has chronic Hep B.  That's not a small number.  (http://www.hepb.org/pdf/Final%20OB%20publications_The%20Female%20Patient.pdf

And according to this link, 1 in 20 americans have been infected with Hep B. (http://www.hepb.org/patients/general_information.htm

Since children are not property of the parents, there is a gray area about when the state can step in and override the parents.  While this doesn't (nor should it) apply to routine prophylactic vaccines when there isn't a pressing need, it would almost certainly apply to a baby whose mother was positive for Hep B, or for a child who was bit by an animal confirmed to have rabies or highly suspected of having rabies.  I do not believe a parent in those circumstances would have the right to refuse those vaccines here in the US. 

It's not as simple as saying "Well, the parent signed a form releasing the doctor from any liability so a parent should be able to do whatever they want"  because courts have ruled that the children's rights can override their parent's rights in certain circumstances. 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page