Pro-vaccine in the media - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-30-2004, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night the Canadian news aired a story about a new report that basically throws the 1998 "MMR linked to autism" study out the window, citing that further studies showed that the link wasn't proven. Fine. Whatever. I don't listen to studies much one way or the other.

But then they show some sound bites from this UK doctor who's touring around the medical conference circuits to "warn" doctors of the growing trend toward non-vax in the UK due to this 1998 study, and how it's causing so many problems. He says before this study was released there were 100 cases a year of measles, and since the study there are between 300-350 cases. Ok. Let's assume this is accurate, and that measles is on the rise because of non-vax. Can someone tell me why this even matters???? I was sitting there yelling at the TV "so what"? Measles is a relatively harmless childhood illness, so why do they insist on making it sound like the return of the plague?

The kicker... they have a sound bite from another doctor saying, basically, that people shouldn't keep moving away from vaccines because then what will we do when we have vaccines against things like cancer and alzheimers? Yeah, makes sense people who choose to decline the chicken pox or MMR are going to continue to spread cancer over the world when everyone else is immunized. Logical leap. Uh-huh.

(Sorry for the dripping sarcasm! My version of anger and contempt, I guess. )

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-01-2004, 11:00 AM

We can sure understand your anger!
#3 of 7 Old 05-01-2004, 11:10 AM

I highly doubt a vaccine for alhzeimers or cancer would work very well but since most of the other shots aren't 100% effective even if everyone vaxed there would still be people not immnue so I don't know why they harp on non=vaxers so much about walking around with this or that.

And the stories always flip flop to suit their purpose, now that enough people are questioning vax suddenly there is no link to autism now.
#4 of 7 Old 05-01-2004, 11:40 AM

I think vaccines cause Alzheimer's disease and cancer, so I do not think that a vaccine for Alzheimer's and cancer will happen anytime soon.
#5 of 7 Old 05-01-2004, 11:43 PM

But DTaP caused the Hib to go haywire in the body and so they developed the Hib vax. And CP vax causes Shingles in old age so now they are developing a Shingles vax. Why not a vax against cancer and Alzheimers which are more than likely caused by vaxes? It only makes sense.

That's Business!
#6 of 7 Old 05-01-2004, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's Business!
And isn't that just the crying shame of it all.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#7 of 7 Old 05-01-2004, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaToFallon
Last night the Canadian news aired a story about a new report that basically throws the 1998 "MMR linked to autism" study out the window, citing that further studies showed that the link wasn't proven. )
Copy and past the following into your search engine:

Danish Thimerosal-Autism Study in Pediatrics: Misleading and Uninformative on Autism-Mercury Link

You will be surprised how falsified that study was.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page