• 1 Post By serenbat
  • 2 Post By Deborah
  • 1 Post By serenbat

#1 of 14 Old 07-06-2014, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
money,money MONEY! vaccines $$$$$

I'm sure the PRO-vaccine side will love to weigh in on the costs of vaccines.

The NYTimes seems to break it down nicely and also talks about profit and what other countries are doing, or NOT doing like the US. $$$$$$$

Costs and add and so do the sums for the shareholders!

I think many will enjoy this!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/03/he...urts.html?_r=0

YUMMY!

“You have to make back your investment and pay your shareholders, but at what point do you say, ‘Look, you’ve had your steak, gravy and potatoes and this is enough?’ ” said Dr. Steven Black, a vaccine expert at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital who served on the government committee that recommended all children get Prevnar 7, an earlier version of the vaccine.

Even before the advent of Prevnar, children under 5 rarely died of pneumococcal illness — about 200 in the United States annually, according to the C.D.C. So, in urging countries to adopt Prevnar 13, Pfizer produced extensive studies emphasizing the vaccine’s broad indirect benefits, such as reductions in a parent’s lost work time as well as the fact that the grandparent of an immunized baby is less likely to contract the disease. The company also factored in the ear infections Prevnar might prevent in children, even though most of those could be treated with antibiotics.

Other countries have also diverged from the United States in how they deploy Prevnar 13, generally giving only three shots instead of four.

another misguided MD??

Studies have shown that the protection is almost as good, particularly against the serious forms of the disease. “There’s virtually no benefit,” Dr. Black said. “We’re basically paying an extra $100-plus per child for nothing.

good to know it's not clear!

It is not clear how much Pfizer is profiting from Prevnar in the United States. But one measure is to look at the price at which Pfizer sells Prevnar for use in the poorest countries through a World Health Organization initiative: $3.30 a dose. Even at those prices, “I do not think pharmaceutical manufacturers are losing money,” said Dr. Hinman, the former C.D.C. official.
applejuice and beckybird like this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#2 of 14 Old 07-06-2014, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
I won't bother to track them down, but there were several articles defending pharma and vaccine prices.
#3 of 14 Old 07-07-2014, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Can't wait to see if those that get upset that parents sometimes lie about vaccination status will be tearing into the mother in this article that lied about not having insurance in order to get her child a vaccine at a public health clinic.

There are a few things in this article that make me wonder about fair business practice.

Quote:
some companies, like Pfizer, require that each physician sign a legal agreement not to disclose the price he or she paid, there is little informed shopping.
Quote:
Large group practices that have purchasing clout with drug makers and insurers may make a profit from providing vaccines, while solo practices, like Dr. Irvin’s, can incur losses. Some doctors pay three times as much as others in the same city, Dr. Freed’s studies have found. One large practice was yielding $39 per dose of Prevnar, while 11 percent of practices were losing money on it.
Of course solo practice doctors can say "stuff it, I won't carry vaccines" but how many pro-vaxxers would want the hassle of having to shop for vaccines outside of their paediatrician's office?

I've often thought that nothing will change until doctors start clueing in and put up a fuss. But then we all know what happens to doctors who speak out.
applejuice, serenbat and beckybird like this.
#4 of 14 Old 07-07-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
That was a good article. Thanks for sharing.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#5 of 14 Old 07-07-2014, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics View Post

Of course solo practice doctors can say "stuff it, I won't carry vaccines" but how many pro-vaxxers would want the hassle of having to shop for vaccines outside of their paediatrician's office?

I've often thought that nothing will change until doctors start clueing in and put up a fuss. But then we all know what happens to doctors who speak out.

The comments left on the story by MDs I found very interesting.
Money rubs many the wrong way!

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#6 of 14 Old 07-11-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

just a little something to add - http://blog.pharmexec.com/2014/07/11...global-growth/

It also makes good business sense. “Our goal is to recoup the significant investment in R&D while ensuring the broadest access to the vaccine. We will do this through a tiered pricing structure that provides higher margins in wealthier markets with the ability to pay, while offering the same vaccine at lower prices in the low-income developing world.”

Venkayya, who previously headed the vaccines delivery program at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, stressed it is no contradiction to follow a public health mission based on commercial incentives. “In a company, it is difficult to sustain a business with uniformly low or negative margins. We can guarantee that if allowed to make smart pricing decisions based on a market’s ability to pay, we will continue to invest in R&D, and access to our vaccines will not depend on the zip code of one’s birth, but on an appropriate, medically recognized assessment of public health need.”

growth, stockholders, profit

&

#7 of 14 Old 08-05-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.benzinga.com/trading-idea...the-positives-

Baxter says it expects its 2014 vaccines revenues to be in the region of $300 million. That would represent a 2.7 percent increase from the $292 million that its vaccines franchise raked in 2013. It might be worth noting that the vaccine franchise has been the fastest-growing commercial franchise for Baxter in recent years. Factor in the bigger stature of Pfizer in the healthcare industry, and it is safe to say that Pfizer would take the sales of these vaccines to a higher level.
beckybird likes this.

&

#8 of 14 Old 08-05-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
A few great ways to increase profits would be:

*Have people within the government regulatory agencies promote an ever-expanding vaccine schedule.
*Encourage people to use peer pressure and to socially ostracize those who do not vaccinate
*Influence schools and universities that teach doctors, so they will continue to promote vaccines

This is why some of us harp on the issue of vaccine profits and money. Of course a company needs to make money; we all understand that. However, what lengths will these companies go to continue to earn profits, and to guarantee future growth? How can we trust the vaccine schedule and recommendations, when the regulatory agencies are so clearly tied to the pharmaceutical and chemical companies? Which recommendation is good for the people, and which recommendation is good for the bottom line?

This is also why we reject the claim that vaccines are produced for the good of humanity rather than for profit.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#9 of 14 Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybird View Post

*Have people within the government regulatory agencies promote an ever-expanding vaccine schedule.
*Encourage people to use peer pressure and to socially ostracize those who do not vaccinate
*Influence schools and universities that teach doctors, so they will continue to promote vaccines

This is why some of us harp on the issue of vaccine profits and money. Of course a company needs to make money; we all understand that. However, what lengths will these companies go to continue to earn profits, and to guarantee future growth? How can we trust the vaccine schedule and recommendations, when the regulatory agencies are so clearly tied to the pharmaceutical and chemical companies? Which recommendation is good for the people, and which recommendation is good for the bottom line?

This is also why we reject the claim that vaccines are produced for the good of humanity rather than for profit.
Well said beckybird!
beckybird likes this.

"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Astrophysicist/GMO defender
#10 of 14 Old 08-05-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybird View Post

beckybird likes this.

&

#11 of 14 Old 08-06-2014, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

ANOTHER good read - IMO, so are the comments!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/01/up...able.html?_r=0

&

#12 of 14 Old 08-06-2014, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
With this type of illness, meningitis, the missing question is why it becomes invasive in a few people and is simply carried (or perhaps even cleared) in the vast majority.

And all of the related vaccines cause serotype replacement, so they are, at best, a very temporary solution.
applejuice and serenbat like this.
#13 of 14 Old 08-06-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
With this type of illness, meningitis, the missing question is why it becomes invasive in a few people and is simply carried (or perhaps even cleared) in the vast majority.

And all of the related vaccines cause serotype replacement, so they are, at best, a very temporary solution.

I don't know.
You know, with what has occurred in Princeton I have not heard much in the past few months. I'm not far and it was all over our local news, now nothing. I'm curious about a few things to and little has come out. I would "assume" this would be in the news as freshmen are soon to start and others to head back??? If I hear I will post.
applejuice likes this.

&

#14 of 14 Old 08-20-2014, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

ah, more MONEY related with vaccines - bribery! How about that? Now this just says "drugs" but we do know there are vaccines being administered there too and we know Glaxo makes vaccines, yes it does involve vaccines! War tends to be a money maker!

http://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-glax...VThjwAHznQtDMD

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28748558

It also accuses the company of bribing officials at Syria's Ministry of Health to obtain vaccines for illegal resale.

How lovely!

&

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page