Originally Posted by alpine
Thank you for directing me to this thread serenbat! I hope my question is relevant to this topic.
This thread provides good info on titers testing, which is something I am very interested in.
My 12dd received her first MMR vaccination. How long before she can get tested for immunity? If she is immune, I do not want to proceed with the second MMR (which would be in 4 weeks).
At the same time, I would like her to get tested for other immunity since she has not received any vaccinations (ie. varicella). We are researching what vaccines we will move forward with.
I am in So Cal, so measles is the hot topic for sure. I appreciate all the viewpoints, and respect other people's opinions. I have learned a great deal from both sides.
I'm not CA - "things may be different" but my understanding is at least 4 weeks you would need to wait from the 1st vaccine to test
I don't know that your insurance would pay only because giving another vaccine/booster what ever you want to call it, 2nd dose is cheaper
and they (insurance) tend to want cheap - but that should not stop you from asking or having it done privately.
IF it was me, I would test and test and test and test - but I will not vaccinate, so this is a mute point.
What studies I have seen, many have been posted in the main Disney thread - there seems to be little retention
(low level immunity) if let's say you do it at 8 months - they still want you to do it again at 12 months. But they do know that even doing it 12 months isn't a guarantee - now is it safe to wait, say 2 months (being at 14 months) test at that point past the "time it should take to acquire immunity" - ? it's hard to know how much difference if any it would make.........
what if you don't have immunity, so you would do the other dose NOW vs at age 3-5?
Why rush right now and not wait until the 3-5 year time frame?
My argument in this thread and in general is WHY not know
. Seems a no brainer to me, but reading this thread you can see it's not what most PRO vac feel should be done.
I have seen in CA they are talking in the news quite a bit about titer testing.
Being a female, IF you are going to vaccinate - I would ask to see a study to show how effective (should she not show
immunity after this first MMR) to see if you really want to do one in 4 weeks or
if you want to wait to 3-5 years of age. I have not see a study.
Also because she is a female, I would do so a titer test again at puberty. NOT saying she is going to get pregnant but she certainly could have a friend(s) that might. IMO you should know if you are immune or not.
Generally (again I would LOVE to see the data on this!!!) what I know (this was also posted in the Disney thread) 1/3 of pregnant females are not immune. I can't find data that shows having yet ANOTHER dose post-partum really makes one immune at that age. Many moms even on here say they tests each pregnancy and are not immune.
IMO - as I say in this thread, I feel knowing, vs guessing is the "science" - but I don't vac. Not vaccing I do know my child's immunity
vs a vaccinating parent that is guessing and hoping via no titer.
to add - if she shows no immunity (low) and you do another either now or at the 3 to 5 - I would test after the 2nd dose. IF still no immunity - GET a medical exemption! Vaccing and having NO immunity is exactly the same as not vaccine - the end result is the same! NO immunity.
I do hope some PRO vaccers chime in to help you.