Titer test results... no immunity to pertussis - Advice please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

Old 07-25-2014, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Titer test results... no immunity to pertussis - Advice please

I am having a baby in September, right after school gets in and we live in a high pertussis area. My 6 year old daughter had a moderate reaction to her first dtap (screaming 3+ hours) and we discontinued the series. We have been VERY selective vaxxers since then.

We tested her titers and my titers and just heard back that we have "no immunity". I can't find anywhere online to interpret actual numbers. The main thing I am interested in is the FHA iGg because her level was 1 and mine was 4. I am wondering if that means I have some immunity or if the numbers are so close it doesn't make a difference. Everything else is less than 1 for both of us.

Sooooo... Where to go from here? I believe that whooping cough is mainly a spring and summer illness, right? I am hoping that if I just keep her pretty well isolated for a few months, then we will be out of the danger zone.

But what about DD bringing sniffles home from school? I don't want to be that crazy mom who won't let the older child touch the younger. I also don't want to freak out every time we get a cold in the house.

I would consider the vaccine for myself but I am concerned it will not protect the baby and may just result in me passing it to her rather than protecting her if we do get exposed. I wish I could trust the medical advice on this one, but it changes too much...

Thanks in advance!

Mama to DD luxlove.gif born June 2008 and Wife to my dear Magyar foreign exchange husband. Expecting again in September!joy.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
From what I understand, despite the interpretation of what is considered an adequate dilution, anything over zero means that memory cells will kick in when needed. In other words, the body has responded and formed antibodies, whether the dilution number was high or just one, now memory cells come in the next time the immune system encounters a disease and antibodies will be produced.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
I started another thread about this and from the PRO vaccine side it seems the PRO side doesn't seem to interested in titters one bit.

From the information out there the effectiness of the vaccine IMO is dismal but 70% to the PRO side seems dandy as far as failure goes.

Considering what they are learning about the vaccine and those who have had it and STILL get it, your chances of diagnose and treatment aren't real encouraging either.

There are several thread about the vaccine in this section. Threads on treatment in the NOT vaccining section and one currently on getting the vaccine while pregnant here in this section.

Personally since we don't vaccinate I don't know that you are looking for that opinion or not so I won't give it.

I have heard the opposit regarding the numbers and I see nothing that indicates your body will magically respond with a low titter reading.

I would look over several threads and you may want to post in the specific vaccine section to get a more clear answer.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 07-25-2014, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
I'd suggest looking for an article written by Suzanne Humphries on the Vitamin C treatment for pertussis. Chances are your baby won't get pertussis, most don't and if caught, chances are it won't be life-threatening, it usually isn't, but it would be good to have a back-up strategy.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thank you all. I am not willing to vax my older DD with something she already reacted to. My Dr agrees. I will keep reading for the strategies. I guess i am looking for the best course of action to keep new DD safe during her vulnerable time.

Tell me if this logic is good. Because baby and I will always be together (for the first few months anyway) any contagion would hit us simultaneously. I would be able to make the antibodies (assuming I keep my immune system up) thus protecting her even if we were exposed... Does that sound right?

Mama to DD luxlove.gif born June 2008 and Wife to my dear Magyar foreign exchange husband. Expecting again in September!joy.gif 
Old 07-26-2014, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyalily View Post
Thank you all. I am not willing to vax my older DD with something she already reacted to. My Dr agrees. I will keep reading for the strategies. I guess i am looking for the best course of action to keep new DD safe during her vulnerable time.

Tell me if this logic is good. Because baby and I will always be together (for the first few months anyway) any contagion would hit us simultaneously. I would be able to make the antibodies (assuming I keep my immune system up) thus protecting her even if we were exposed... Does that sound right?
the great thing about breastfeeding is that you yourself don't actually have to come in contact with contagion just your lo. when she initiates breastfeeding that contact will then trigger your body to create antibodies for anything that she has come in contact with. we've had it both ways in our house where DD and I got sick at the same time but also where she was out with someone else caught something and came home and I was able to create antibodies for her and then later came down with the same cold myself and was pretty quick to get it under control because I was already producing antibodies for her.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
I would stand far away from coughing people, or even people with colds when your babe is less than 4 months. The distance you need to stand is something you will have to look up (google airborne/droplet transmission distance) and see what you come up with. The biggest I have seen is 7 feet, so that is the number I would do…but please check for yourself. My glance was cursory. Some research seemed to show the closer you were to someone with pertussis and the longer you were with them seemed to increase the liklihood of getting pertussis - so short outings where you keep your distance from the masses.

Carry your baby. Most wraps are so complicated looking that most people do not offer to hold the baby when it is in a wrap, as it is such a PITA to get on and off.

If you do well child visits, consider going first thing in the morning, before the sickies populate the waiting room. Don't bring your older child if at all possible and avoid touching the toys, etc.

I would also work on teaching your older child good cough and hand hygeine (maybe she is already great in this area, but I know many kids need frequent reminders).

Good luck!

kathy

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

User Tag List