• 1 Post By hotmom
  • 1 Post By Deborah

#1 of 23 Old 07-27-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Another Great One Has Passed on...

... at least in my opinion.

My children's pediatrician, Dr. Paul M. Fleiss, MD, passed on last Saturday. He was 80.

He was an osteopath and pharmacist by training from Detroit MI, but came to California in 1962, took a test, and got his MD. He made housecalls for the rich and famous around Hollywood and Los Feliz and made quite a respectable name for himself. He was pediatrician to Leonardo DiCaprio, the children of Madonna, and the children of Annie Potts, judging from the wall of pictures I saw the last time I was there.

He was married and divorced and had six children, one of them the notorious Heidi.

He was honored in the last pages of Mothering Magazine as a Living Treasure.

Even as a Jew, he opposed routine and religious circumcision. He promoted alternative treatments, nutrition, breastfeeding, the family bed, vegetarianism, aerobic exercise, marathon running, and in his last days, homeopathy. Dr. Fleiss was the Los Angeles area medical advisor for LLLI for many years, and a good friend of Dr. Robert Mendelsohn, MD. He was the author or co-author of three books: Sweet Dreams (2001), Your Premature Baby Comes Home with Juliette M. Alsobrooks (2006), and What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Circumcision with Frederick M. Hodges (2003).

He said he could be convinced either way with regards to HIV causing AIDS, and this belief made legal trouble for him when his patient, Eliza Jane Scovill and later the mother, Christine Maggiore died of AIDS.

He was my children's pediatrician. I am grateful that I was lead to him by my midwife, that I was able to know him in this life and I am grateful for his wonderful advice he provided for me when my children were growing up. I would never have gone to any pediatrician if I was not guided to him.

Thank you, Dr. Fleiss. May you be rewarded in the afterlife for your work with healthy children.

Here is a not so flattering obituary in the LA Times:
http://www.latimes.com/local/obituar...720-story.html

Memorial Service held: http://drjaygordon.com/in-the-news/p...ul-fleiss.html

Last edited by applejuice; 07-27-2014 at 09:14 AM.
#2 of 23 Old 07-27-2014, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I am at the age where people start dying and leaving me all by my lonesome. I am getting old! I need to take from them their wisdom and use it in my own life.

Twenty-five years ago, he was the only doctor I knew who could recognize a case of measles in front of him! I suspected it was measles. The younger doctors were too ignorant to know what was in front of them ..."a viral infection with a fever"... No kidding, Dr. Sherlock! My Goodness! You went to medical school that long for that kind of diagnosis?!

That should give many people pause when they bring their sick child to a doctor. Who knows what your child really has.

Yes, my child recovered well and has a lifetime immunity to measles, TYVM. My child was too young for the MMR as it was scheduled at the time, not that I would get it in any case.
beckybird likes this.

Last edited by applejuice; 07-27-2014 at 11:22 AM.
#3 of 23 Old 07-27-2014, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

He would not prescribe a prescription grade lice killer for my DD's hair as he said it was too toxic. He said the OTC would be fine. It was.

He told my DD that she had beautiful hair and that is why the lice liked it. My daughter was so flattered! LOL! He himself removed a wart from her foot at the same visit.
Deborah and beckybird like this.
#4 of 23 Old 07-27-2014, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

A newborn visit with Dr. Paul M. Fleiss, MD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBNQ...ature=youtu.be

#5 of 23 Old 07-27-2014, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

And a good book for intactivists ...
Amazon Amazon
Deborah likes this.
#6 of 23 Old 07-27-2014, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
It's a shame his life's work seems to be over-shadowed by his daughter's notoriety (at least in the media anyway).

Sounds like you and your children were lucky to have known him applejuice.
applejuice and Deborah like this.
#7 of 23 Old 07-27-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, samaxtics. Many people did know him as I did and benefitted from the relationship. He was well known in the health food community, in the marathon running community, and he will be missed.

Quote:
It's a shame his life's work seems to be over-shadowed by his daughter's notoriety ...
Isn't that the truth! Such a shame.

Sadly from Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar", Act III, Scene I, "The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones."

However, I have hopes for this quote from Euripides, (c. 480-406 BC), who wrote, "When good men die their goodness does not perish, but lives [even] though they are gone. As for the bad, all that was theirs dies and is buried with them."
Deborah and samaxtics like this.
#8 of 23 Old 07-28-2014, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Haven't read the obituary but the Eliza case is an extremely sad one. Even Jay Gordon conceded that he and the other pediatricians responsible for her care dropped the ball on that little girl.

Can't say I'd want a doctor who let a child die from preventable and untreated AIDS and who nearly lost his medical license after pleading guilty to tax fraud and making false statements on loan documents and to federal banks to be my child's pediatrician, but to each their own.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#9 of 23 Old 07-28-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Even Jay Gordon ...
That is Doctor Jay Gordon, MD ... he is a member here.

Teacozy, no one is telling you to make him be your child's pediatrician.

There are plenty of other pediatricians for you to choose from. Your choice. Go for it. Be glad that you have a choice. Not everyone does. Be happy you have a doctor you respect and who respects you.

I chose this one. I was happy with him. He paid for his mistakes, dearly, which is more than I can say about most medical doctors in this country, especially MDs who deny vaccine damage or fire parents from their practice.
#10 of 23 Old 07-28-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
That is Doctor Jay Gordon, MD ... he is a member here.

Teacozy, no one is telling you to make him be your child's pediatrician.

There are plenty of other pediatricians for you to choose from. Your choice. Go for it. Be glad that you have a choice. Not everyone does. Be happy you have a doctor you respect and who respects you.

I chose this one. I was happy with him. He paid for his mistakes, dearly, which is more than I can say about most medical doctors in this country, especially MDs who deny vaccine damage or fire parents from their practice.
Well of course he can't be my child's pediatrician, he's passed away...

How did he pay for his mistakes in Eliza's case? He doesn't even acknowledge that HIV causes AIDS and has said "Because I've never seen her sick or with anything resembling what she supposedly died of ... I don't believe I could have done anything to change this outcome." That doesn't sound like a person apologizing, acknowledging or paying for his mistakes at all.

Dr. Jay Gordon at least said "Dr. Jay Gordon, a Santa Monica pediatrician who had treated Eliza Jane since she was a year old, said he should have demanded she be tested for the human immunodeficiency virus, HIV, when, 11 days before she died, Maggiore brought her in with an apparent ear infection.

"It's possible that the whole situation could have been changed if one of the doctors involved — one of the three doctors involved — had intervened," said Gordon, who acknowledges that HIV causes AIDS. "Do I think I'm blameless in this? No, I'm not blameless."

That's at least better than Dr. Fleiss's statements.

Further, why did you post this here and not the I'm Not Vaccinating forum if all you were looking for are responses stating what an amazing doctor he was?

I agree with some of his philosophies, but I could never personally consider a medical professional who denies that HIV causes AIDS in this day and age a "good" doctor.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#11 of 23 Old 07-28-2014, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
but I could never personally consider a medical professional who denies that HIV causes AIDS in this day and age a "good" doctor.
REPEAT, I have all ready said that NO ONE would ever force you to choose him, and DUH!, I am referring to when he was alive.

Can't you be happy for someone finding a doctor with whom they are comfortable? He was well known in the community for being very supportive of breastfeeding, so in an age, 1960s-now, when breastfeeding competed with formula feeding as a convenience, he was sought after by those in the natural foods community.

No one here AFAIK, has criticized YOUR choice of doctor, but then your pediatrician is not as public as Dr. Fleiss has been. I wonder how many doctors in this country would stand up to that close scrutiny and get a clean pass.

If this is the wrong forum, then tell the moderators to move it. Maybe this thread be should put it in the Circumcision forum. I am not usually there, so I did not post it there.

However, YOU are posting on MDC, formerly a magazine that honored Dr. Paul M Fleiss, MD as a Living Treasure and promoted his ideas and publications on circumcision.

I never thought that a Living Treasure would be marginalized on these forums.
#12 of 23 Old 07-28-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
REPEAT, I have all ready said that NO ONE would ever force you to choose him. Can't you be happy for someone finding a doctor with whom they are comfortable. No one here AFAIK, has criticized YOUR choice of doctor, but then your pediatrician is not as public as Dr. Fleiss has been. I wonder how many doctors in this country would stand up to that close scrutiny and get a clean pass.

If this is the wrong forum, then tell the moderators to move it. Maybe this thread be should put it in the Circumcision forum. I am not usually there, so I did not post it there.

However, YOU are posting on MDC, formerly a magazine that honored Dr. Paul M Fleiss, MD as a Living Treasure and promoted his ideas and publications on circumcision.

I never thought that a Living Treasure would be marginalized on these forums.
The vaccine forum is a heated one, we all know that.

You not only brought up Eliza and her mother in the OP, you also brought up his infamous daughter Heidi and linked an "unflattering" obituary and then posted it in the discussion/debate section of the vaccine forum instead of the "support" forum.

I've been accused of pot-stirring on these forums for much less, I'll just put it that way.

#13 of 23 Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

My goodness. Pardon me for being honest. Interesting editing, BTW.

I posted that in the OP because most people knew it; I just put it out there to let the naysayers know that I knew it.

I did say that he was great, and that was my opinion, and I am entitled to an opinion.

IF I DID NOT acknowledge those facts, I am sure that YOU would have come here to tell me what a horrid human being my pediatrician was with lurid details of his convictions. But you are doing that anyway. I cannot win.

I posted this thread here because HE is NOT against vaccines. If I put him on the IANV forum, that would have given the wrong POV.

FTR, I have NEVER accused YOU of stirring any kind of pot, so DO NOT put it that way.

Here is an article from 19 yrs ago about his family.

http://articles.latimes.com/print/19...1_heidi-fleiss
samaxtics likes this.
#14 of 23 Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
My goodness. Pardon me for being honest. Interesting editing, BTW.

I posted that in the OP because most people knew it; I just put it out there to let the naysayers know that I knew it.

I did say that he was great, and that was my opinion, and I am entitled to an opinion.

IF I DID NOT acknowledge those facts, I am sure that YOU would have come here to tell me what a horrid human being my pediatrician was with lurid details of his convictions. But you are doing that anyway. I cannot win.

I posted this thread here because HE is NOT against vaccines. If I put him on the IANV forum, that would have given the wrong POV.

FTR, I have NEVER accused YOU of stirring any kind of pot, so DO NOT put it that way.

Here is an article from 19 yrs ago about his family.

http://articles.latimes.com/print/19...1_heidi-fleiss
You are entitled to your opinion, but if you post controversial information about a controversial pediatrician on a discussion/debate forum that opens the door to other opinions as well.

If your post had nothing to do with vaccines then it makes just as much sense to post it in the vaccine support forum as it does in the vaccine discussion/debate forum.

Further, I didn't say you accused me of pot-stirring, but because I was curious I went and looked at one of the threads I had in mind when I made that comment and saw that you did "like" a post that accused me of potential pot-stirring. So there's that. A moderator even agreed that my posting the article was appropriate for the forum. This is OT, though.

If the potential that other people may have a different opinion than you do on a well known and controversial pediatrician offends you so much, don't post it in the discussion/debate section of a heated forum.

FTR, I have no doubt that he was in general a nice and good person, I just don't agree with many of his philosophies and do not think he always practiced ethical medicine.

#15 of 23 Old 07-28-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This is OT, though.
Sure is.
#16 of 23 Old 07-28-2014, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
You are entitled to your opinion, but if you post controversial information about a controversial pediatrician on a discussion/debate forum that opens the door to other opinions as well.
There is a report button

Personally since Mothering magazine did do a story on him in the past I appreciate it was posted here and get the connection with VPD and see the appropriateness too.

Maybe it can be posted several places for more to see.
applejuice and kathymuggle like this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#17 of 23 Old 07-28-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post
There is a report button

Personally since Mothering magazine did do a story on him in the past I appreciate it was posted here and get the connection with VPD and see the appropriateness too.

Maybe it can be posted several places for more to see.
I don't feel the need to report anything.

I only take issue with the idea that we can post something on the discussion/debate forum that can't or shouldn't be...discussed.

If the moderators don't want it on this forum, that's fine. But if they are going to let it stay on the *discussion* forum then discussion and unpopular opinions shouldn't be prohibited or attacked either.

#18 of 23 Old 07-28-2014, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Sorry for your loss, and thanks for the tribute. RIP.

You were very lucky to have a doctor you had a mutually respectful relationsip with.

Kathy
applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#19 of 23 Old 07-28-2014, 12:01 PM

And yes, sorry for your loss. Sounds like you had a good experience with him.

I do really like his position and advocacy for things like circumcision, breast feeding, good diet and exercise. All very good and important things!

#20 of 23 Old 07-30-2014, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
May Dr Paul Fleiss rest in peace. The fact that he was an open and vocal opponent of RIC was good enough for me. That he offered alternative methods to the conventional "just chop it off" treatment for foreskin problems made him a hero in my eyes.
applejuice likes this.
#21 of 23 Old 08-13-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
... at least in my opinion.

My children's pediatrician, Dr. Paul M. Fleiss, MD, passed on last Saturday. He was 80.

He was an osteopath and pharmacist by training from Detroit MI, but came to California in 1962, took a test, and got his MD. He made housecalls for the rich and famous around Hollywood and Los Feliz and made quite a respectable name for himself. He was pediatrician to Leonardo DiCaprio, the children of Madonna, and the children of Annie Potts, judging from the wall of pictures I saw the last time I was there.

He was married and divorced and had six children, one of them the notorious Heidi.

He was honored in the last pages of Mothering Magazine as a Living Treasure.

Even as a Jew, he opposed routine and religious circumcision. He promoted alternative treatments, nutrition, breastfeeding, the family bed, vegetarianism, aerobic exercise, marathon running, and in his last days, homeopathy. Dr. Fleiss was the Los Angeles area medical advisor for LLLI for many years, and a good friend of Dr. Robert Mendelsohn, MD. He was the author or co-author of three books: Sweet Dreams (2001), Your Premature Baby Comes Home with Juliette M. Alsobrooks (2006), and What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Circumcision with Frederick M. Hodges (2003).

He said he could be convinced either way with regards to HIV causing AIDS, and this belief made legal trouble for him when his patient, Eliza Jane Scovill and later the mother, Christine Maggiore died of AIDS.

He was my children's pediatrician. I am grateful that I was lead to him by my midwife, that I was able to know him in this life and I am grateful for his wonderful advice he provided for me when my children were growing up. I would never have gone to any pediatrician if I was not guided to him.

Thank you, Dr. Fleiss. May you be rewarded in the afterlife for your work with healthy children.

Here is a not so flattering obituary in the LA Times:
http://www.latimes.com/local/obituar...720-story.html

Memorial Service held: http://drjaygordon.com/in-the-news/p...ul-fleiss.html
My heart hurts right now.
I am so sad. I just learned of this THIS morning. My heart breaks for those that loved this man Like I did. He was the BEST ped I have ever encountered and I have seen many drs and specialist in my almost 19 years mothering.
Dr fleiss calmed me down and helped me focus when I was s hysterical mother of a undiagnosed special needs vax damaged possibly having a syndrome child. I was paying thousands ans visiting every specialist I knew trying to figure out her issues. He saw me for a hour. We sat in his office and he pulled out medical books, Ive never seen a dr do that. He reviewed everything that had been tested and explained so calmly how to best proceed. I left his office a new mother- a new outlook and a sense of peace. My dd may never have a diagnosis, he said. Thats ok. They dont know right now, the tests I had been performing for the past 3 years were good starts. It ok, everything is ok. And it was. He explained I need to look at her strengths and continue to treat her the best I could to help her reach her goals regardless of the "Label". He recommended diet changes for her hyperactivity that worked wonders! He was a doctor- he also didn't know everything- who does? But he knew how to make a mother and father feel at ease and give you the confidence to follow your instincts and be the best parent you could be. He will truly be missed. I called this morning and they still do not have a replacement... I hope they find someone who has a kind gentle heart like Dr Fleiss.
fruitfulmomma and applejuice like this.

ELY -Mommy to many

#22 of 23 Old 08-13-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Im so so sad.
I dont know what to do right now. I feel lost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBNQ...ature=youtu.be
applejuice likes this.

ELY -Mommy to many

#23 of 23 Old 08-13-2014, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Thank you so much for sharing your story! It is lovely for people to remember the good things that someone did after they die.
applejuice likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page