Laser Light Used To Enhance Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness 400% to 700% - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 29Likes
  • 1 Post By kathymuggle
  • 3 Post By Taximom5
  • 3 Post By Taximom5
  • 3 Post By Deborah
  • 2 Post By rachelsmama
  • 4 Post By samaxtics
  • 3 Post By beckybird
  • 3 Post By applejuice
  • 5 Post By Deborah
  • 2 Post By applejuice

#1 of 15 Old 07-28-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Laser Light Used To Enhance Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness 400% to 700%

So this is on the front page of reddit right now, and thought it was interesting and could make for some intriguing discussion

http://www.neomatica.com/2014/07/28/...eness-400-700/

"Now a team of scientists in Boston have just developed a new method of using laser light to stimulate and enhance the immune response to a vaccine by a remarkable 4 to 7-fold against disease agents. Such treatments that assist vaccines but are not vaccines themselves are known as adjuvants.

Since only the vaccine and not the adjuvant needs to be injected, the adjuvant’s efficacy and safety are both increased for the individual. From a public health perspective, the adjuvant is a major boon as it cuts down on the costs and extends the power of existing vaccines, vital steps forward in augmenting our ability to deal with future pandemics."

What do you guys think? Since the adjuvants aren't injected, is this one you would consider if studies showed it to be safer and more effective than our current flu vaccine?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 07-28-2014, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
I wonder if that will also increase vaccine side effects?

After all, when a child runs a fever after a vaccine, isn't that thought to be an immune response? The study showed lasers increased immune response by 400-700%.

Your title is incorrect. The new laser thing does not increase efficacy by 400-700%. If current flu vaccines are 50% effective, 4-7 fold, would put them at 200-350% efficacy, and there is no such thing. It measures immune response.

I do think the laser could be useful -assuming it does not hurt anyone. Seniors and babies can have sensitive skin. I dislike adjuvants more than antigens. I do not see how it can extend flu vaccines beyond one seasons, although even a small extension is a good thing for those choosing the flu vaccine, as there is some evidence the flu vaccine only lasts 3-4 months, which is a small window of timing to get right.

In practical terms, I cannot see it being used regularly anytime soon, even if the science turns out to be solid. The wheels of medicine turn slowly -for example, we still aren't measuring babies heads to screen for autism, or tracking eyesight, and the laser dentistry I heard about years ago is still not regularly available where I live.....

(ETA: cool article. Thanks for sharing)
applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Last edited by kathymuggle; 07-29-2014 at 06:48 AM.
#3 of 15 Old 07-28-2014, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
If adjuvants make vaccines more effective what is able to happen is a reduction in the numbers of antigens.

I think this is part of the reason the current schedule - while having more shots - actually has many fewer antigens than the schedule from ~ 1980s.
#4 of 15 Old 07-28-2014, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post
If adjuvants make vaccines more effective what is able to happen is a reduction in the numbers of antigens.

I think this is part of the reason the current schedule - while having more shots - actually has many fewer antigens than the schedule from ~ 1980s.
Except the number of antigens in the 1980's schedule has never been the primary issue if concern. What was concerning was the cumulative amount of thimerosal, and the fact that multiple vaccines like MMR exposed children to 3 different diseases at once, which is not how they would naturally be exposed. Some of the MMR vaccines had obviously high rates of severe reaction.

Recent research indicates that the increased load of aluminum is problematic, linked with autoimmune disorders, and, combined with thimerosal-preserved flu shots, has high synergistic toxicity.

If the adjuvant triggers a stronger immune response, yes, you can use fewer antigens. But you can't control WHAT the immune system reacts more strongly to. It's going to react more strongly to everything. Giving several aluminum-adjuvanted vaccines at once? And a thimerosal-preserved flu shot at the same time? You really think there's no potential for serious problems there?

Last edited by Taximom5; 07-28-2014 at 11:58 PM.
#5 of 15 Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Laser light to enhance vaccine effectiveness? Why not sunlight to enhance the immune system's effectiveness against the disease, at least for the milder diseases like influenza?

Why aren't the scientists studying those who make antibodies without the symptoms of the disease? Why aren't they studying those who have adverse reactions?

Oh, that's right. Because the pharmaceutical industry can't make money off of that knowledge.
#6 of 15 Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post
Laser light to enhance vaccine effectiveness? Why not sunlight to enhance the immune system's effectiveness against the disease, at least for the milder diseases like influenza?

Why aren't the scientists studying those who make antibodies without the symptoms of the disease? Why aren't they studying those who have adverse reactions?

Oh, that's right. Because the pharmaceutical industry can't make money off of that knowledge.
Sunlight is a potent human carcinogen.
#7 of 15 Old 07-29-2014, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadamsmar View Post
Sunlight is a potent human carcinogen.
Moving into a cave today, thanks for letting me know.
#8 of 15 Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Good idea, sunlight causes more cancers than tobacco, but the tobacco causes more deaths.

Also, breastfeeding cause more mercury exposure than vaccines (and more bio-active exposure to boot.) so give that up too.
#9 of 15 Old 07-29-2014, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadamsmar View Post
Good idea, sunlight causes more cancers than tobacco, but the tobacco causes more deaths.

Also, breastfeeding cause more mercury exposure than vaccines (and more bio-active exposure to boot.) so give that up too.
High blood-pressure is pretty unhealthy too.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...ks-and-strokes

(And I apologise for helping take the thread off-topic)
applejuice and beckybird like this.
#10 of 15 Old 07-29-2014, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
I wonder if that will also increase vaccine side effects?

After all, when a child runs a fever after a vaccine, isn't that thought to be an immune response? The study showed lasers increased immune response by 400-700%.

Your title is incorrect. The new laser think does not increase efficacy by 400-700%. If current flu vaccines are 50% effective, 4-7 fold, would put them at 200-350% efficacy, and there is no such thing. It measures immune response.

I do think the laser could be useful -assuming it does not hurt anyone. Seniors and babies can have sensitive skin. I dislike adjuvants more than antigens. I do not see how it can extend flu vaccines beyond one seasons, although even a small extension is a good thing for those choosing the flu vaccine, as there is some evidence the flu vaccine only lasts 3-4 months, which is a small window of timing to get right.

In practical terms, I cannot see it being used regularly anytime soon, even if the science turns out to be solid. The wheels of medicine turn slowly -for example, we still aren't measuring babies heads to screen for autism, or tracking eyesight, and the laser dentistry I heard about years ago is still not regularly available where I live.....

(ETA: cool article. Thanks for sharing)
I just copy/pasted the title of the article, which is what I generally do.

I do agree it's a cool article, though

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
#11 of 15 Old 07-29-2014, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Quote:

Tadamsmar,

Sadly, what you can expect from hiding from the sun or slathering on toxic sunscreen is more cancer. But that is getting OT.
#12 of 15 Old 07-29-2014, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post
High blood-pressure is pretty unhealthy too.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...ks-and-strokes

(And I apologise for helping take the thread off-topic)
Great article!

"Warnings to keep out of the sun and to wear sunblock even in the winter could increase the risk of high blood pressure, he added. “Blood pressure is a continual risk factor for cardiovascular disease, so even a small reduction is significant,” he said.
“Well-meaning warnings to stay out of the sun could be putting people at increased risk.”

There is evidence that an unhealthy diet with toxic fats and oils can increase your risk of skin cancer. If the body is toxic, of course it will have a difficult time protecting itself from the elements. Duh!

quote from Cancer Res 2000 Aug 1;60(15):4139-45:
"Epidemiological, experimental, and mechanistic data implicate omega-6 fat as stimulators and long-chain omega-3 fats as inhibitors of development and progression of a range of human cancers, including melanoma."
"Last year, the prestigious National Academy of Sciences published a comprehensive review showing that the omega 6:3 ratio was the key to preventing skin cancer development. An Australian study done ten years ago showed a 40% reduction in melanoma for those who were eating fish. And this was without any attention to lowering omega-6 fats."

Step One: Stop eating SAD!!! (The Standard American Diet) or, if you're not American, the unhealthy Westernized crap diet. Food does matter!
applejuice, Deborah and Taximom5 like this.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#13 of 15 Old 07-29-2014, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Sunlight is healthy. Everything needs to be done in moderation.

Modern medicine's distrust of nature is out of control.

For example, a newborn that has neonatal jaundice (often iatrogenically from the vitamin K shot), is subjected at great cost and time under the neonatal unit's bilirubin lights when a session of 10-20 minutes under the sun will do the same with some water.

There are of late many prescriptions being written for pharmaceutical doses of vitamin D, ie. 50,000 IU and higher, when a nice session under the sun of 10-20" in a sleeveless shirt and shorts will do the same.
Deborah, beckybird and Taximom5 like this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#14 of 15 Old 07-29-2014, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Moderation doesn't sell products...
#15 of 15 Old 07-29-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Moderation doesn't sell products...
There it i$!
beckybird and Taximom5 like this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page