• 1 Post By littlec
  • 1 Post By Kharufa
  • 2 Post By sassyfirechick

#1 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
T-Dap during pregnancy

As much as the CDC is recommending pregnant women to have this shot between 28 and 36 weeks and pertussis is on the rise, I'm comfused about it. I'm 34 weeks, I'm AMA and doctor is being quite pushy for me to take it. First, it's not an easy shot to get (pharmacies don't carry it) and when I asked the primary doctor he said I could take after delivery. Nurses at the hospital told me they give this before discharge. Studies of the efficacy and safety aren't very conclusive and there isn't an outbreak going on in our area.
I'm pro vax, but this is just making me very uneasy. Did you take this shot or know someone who did it while pregnant?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
It isn't actually approved for use during pregnancy, so the recommendation is off-label. It is a category C drug.
#3 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I didn't do any shots during pregnancy & I wouldn't now. As far as I know, the vaccines haven't actually been studied when used in pregnancy so there's only speculation on whether or not they are safe to use. I believe @kathymuggle has posted about what she would do to reduce the chances of an infant getting pertusis previously. If you search on that illness & her name, I bet you'd find it.

Best wishes,
Sus
applejuice likes this.

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#4 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
It's a very new recommendation, and I know there have been pertussis outbreaks, but if you search the world health organization, you will see that pertussis never went away. It has been on the rise steadily for the last 20 years. You are not at any new risk to develop it than you were 5 or 10 years ago. Personally, I would not inject anything like that (or the flu shot) while pregnant. I no longer vaccinate, so please consider that with my opinion; however, even when I was "pro-vaccine" I opted out of the flu shot during my pregnancy. Good luck!
applejuice likes this.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#5 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you so much fir the input!
I did not take the flu shot and seven years ago, with my first child I didn't take any shots during pregnancy. It does worry the fact that it's a new recommendation and that there are so many risks involved. This is my last pregnancy and I did have a pregnancy loss at 19 weeks three years ago. I din't want to do anything that could jeopardize things.
I know that I have a son and a step-daughter in school, but they both have been vaccinated. I'll definitely look up on other ways to keep baby safe.
applejuice likes this.
#6 of 6 Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Breastfeed, hand washing, vit c, and don't let people come over if they have any symptoms of being ill or have been exposed to someone in the last week or two who was ill. It's a simple formula that tends to work out well
applejuice and TheCrunchyBrit like this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page