Oh boy, oh boy....vaccines eliminate skin colour differences in illness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2004, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:Puke

Study: Pneumonia's Racial Disparity Cut by Vaccine
CHICAGO (Reuters) - A childhood vaccine approved in 2000 for use in the United States has started to ease a racial disparity that saw blacks more likely to fall victim to pneumonia and meningitis, a study said on Tuesday.
Incidence of the infections among U.S. black children younger than 2 went from being 3.3 times higher than among the country's white youngsters before the vaccine to 1.6 times higher in 2002, the study said.

While the vaccine is a success among all races, the improvement in the U.S. black versus white rate probably reflects the fact that some black children were targeted for the immunization, the report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta said.

It may also be that so-called "herd immunity" -- in which the vaccinations protect even those not vaccinated by reducing the number of cases to which everyone is exposed -- may be more effective in black communities for unexplained reasons, the authors added.

more at: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=5109446
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2004, 11:11 PM

As I say here often...race isa tool of oppresion. Could they please define what makes one "black" and what makes one "white" in their studies? And what about the millions of others who don't fall in their categories?????????
Old 05-12-2004, 04:21 AM

I often wonder about those vaccine programs that are brought into minority neighborhoods. The health officials go out and round up these children and stick them with needles. The parents are rarely informed of any side-effects to look for nor are they told of any danger signs to watch for. The children may have a cold and therefore are vaccinated anyway.

Of course, the parents are assured that they are doing the very best they can for their children...

..so very sad. I have talked to minority mothers who are careful of what they do with their children and they are leery of getting any vaccinations.

I had a good friend in college who was a minority who was in a wheel chair with multiple sclerosis. I often wonder what happened to him since he had such a good attitude, but he did not seem to be getting any better.

My personal feeling about multiple sclerosis is that it is a condition caused by vaccinations and exasperated by formula feeding, since it is an autoimmune disease. No evidence, sorry, just a personal feeling.

In multiple sclerosis, the "wrapping" on the nerves comes undone, and the damage begins. Breastfeeding helps build good nerve tissue and 'wrappings" - sorry, can't remember what the "wrapping" is called.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:52 AM

myelin(?)
Old 05-12-2004, 10:47 PM

I'm with bebesho2, what makes someone black or white? I have a mexican friend but everyone assumes she is white and it drives her insane! And what about everyone else?

These stupid studies drive me crazy!
Old 05-13-2004, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I dont get it either. I know recently around here, they targeted hispanic families for a Hep A vax. Why couldnt they just say what Hep A was from, how to prevent it FOR EVERYBODY (no vax needed for prevention!!) and leave race out??

Desiree

User Tag List