Any mamas that do vaccinate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2004, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd is getting her shots tomorrow.

Does any one have any comfort ideas--well, besides lots of love and cuddles and my milk?

Usually chamomile tea works afterwards. But I would like some thing before hand for her.

Is there a solution that I can rub on her legs where the shots will be administered?

TIA

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2004, 05:28 AM

There is a spray that we use on people before we wax them, it's a numbing agent. I don't know if it's recomended for babies. You could give her Tyenol before the shot, but that might mask any reactions she might have. It's pretty quick, if you have a fast nurse, the pain of the shot is much less a problem than the lingering pain of the stuff in the leg muscles. ( my DS had a pretty bad reaction last time)
Old 05-12-2004, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Leetah--fellow WA mom!

Thanks for the info. I've been calling health food stores..looking on-line..etc. But for the life of me, I cannot remember what it's called. I think it starts with an "A". (lots of clues, huh?:LOL) She usually does okay with her shots, but her legs always get sore hours later--and a few months ago some one recommended a cream/solution

Usually I am the google search queen--not tonight I guess. :LOL

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
Old 05-12-2004, 05:43 AM

They probably reccmmended EMLA/ lidocaine cream.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
Old 05-12-2004, 05:51 AM

I'm not sure what the spray is called, if you called a beauty supply and asked for the numbing spray for waxing, they could probably help you, But that is only temporary, if she has longer lasting pain, the spray would wear off before the pain did. Have you done Tylenol before? That's what I gave DS before he had the reaction.

Good luck, and give her lots of kisses and Mommy milk, the best pain killer.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:47 AM

:
Old 05-13-2004, 12:44 PM

I don't know if this is too late, but give some Ledum homeopathic remedy, it's for puncture wounds, maybe some chamilia or chamomile to calm her.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:34 PM

i might be posting late.

my son has all his shots.

honestly, it helped my son for me to stand back out of view when the nurse did it, because when I stood there and held him, he BLAMED me for the pain and cried longer, and was mad at me (yes, i could tell).

so, just stand back then come to the "Rescue", is my advice.

we did tylenol before the visit, and then motrin after (BABY VERSIONS OF COURSE) and he didn't even get a temp. he did sleep for HOURS after each shot, I guess all that stress on the body makes you tired.

so. anyway. we vaccinate, and i understand. it is hard, but you must do what you feel is right.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks every one. I couldn't get a hold of the spray or cream in time, but I gave her some chamomile tea afterwards.

She didn't even cry when she got the shots!! But the nurse said she does it a certain way so that the baby doesn't feel it. Except for the MMR shot, she can't stop that from hurting. Any way...I was shocked. The nurse was very nice.

Afterwards she was a little bit fussy, but she is fine now.

Thanks again every one!!

Old 05-13-2004, 02:46 PM

sleepies,
I would be concerned about giving a pain reliever/ fever rducer BEFORE shots, or even right after shots, for fear that it could mask the early symptoms of a vax reaction.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
Old 05-13-2004, 03:04 PM

stephanie cave's book has some recommendations about ways to try to support the immune system when it's being bombarded with vaxes.

heartbeat.gif

Old 05-13-2004, 03:33 PM

We followed Dr. Stephanie Cave's recommendation to give liquid vitamin C 2x per day the day of and the day after. We delayed and are spacing them one at a time, and zinebaby has only had one vax so far, but he didn't even seem to notice it and had no reactions. I don't know if that's attributable to the C, but I'll stick with it.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:54 PM

We also follow Cave's advice about the liquid Vitamin C. This time though she got big bruises and was cranky! Ughhh!

Homeschooling Momma to DD 8 years old, DS 7 years old, DS born 03/11 by adoptionheart-1.gif , waiting for DD born 07/10 and two furry labs. Wife to my wonderful husband of 12 years.

User Tag List