Pushing Back Against Doctors Who Bully - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

Old 11-03-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Pushing Back Against Doctors Who Bully

Here's a list of questions to ask doctors who try to bully parents into vaccinating:

http://michaelchaddad.wordpress.com/...-bullying-101/

"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Astrophysicist/GMO defender
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2014, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I absolutely love this! When doctors have asked how I came to the decision to not vaccinate I usually respond, "since you are the one trying to convince me to buy a product to inject into my healthy child, I believe the burden of proof lies on you to tell me why I should vaccinate" and then I've followed up with some of these questions.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I think it's important to add that these should be re-phrased into statements rather than questions for parents who are not in the mood to debate at well checks
Old 11-03-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Awesome questions!

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 11-03-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Quote:
“Why do you always warn me not to ‘read the Internet’ when that’s where all of the abstracts and many full-length of peer-reviewed journal publications are found?”
Exactly. Or ask this: "But doesn't the CDC have a website?"

"Practically every food you buy in a store for consumption by humans is genetically modified food"
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Astrophysicist/GMO defender
Old 11-03-2014, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
The blogger is responding to the L.A. Times piece about Paul "Rock Star" Offit teaching doctors how to push parents into vaccinating.

Offit's approach is a mistake. He's reducing the doctor-patient relationship into a high school debate tournament, complete with cross-examination and canned "gotcha" responses. Even where parents ARE misled, putting them on the bristly defensive isn't going to help.

Also, if someone challenges a doctor about package inserts, and the doctor responds with Offit's canned response, there's no way the parent is going to reply, "Gee, Doc. I'm stumped. I don't have a comeback. Go ahead and vaccinate." Of course not! The parent will, at best, reply, "I'll look into that. Thank you." At worst, s/he will just get pissed off and march out.

The doctor-patient relationship needs to be one of open dialogue, mutual respect, and authenticity. Offit, by contrast, is encouraging physicians to behave as aggressive, commission salespeople.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 11-03-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
The blogger is responding to the L.A. Times piece about Paul "Rock Star" Offit teaching doctors how to push parents into vaccinating.
http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...ry.html#page=1

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio

User Tag List