Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From the Omaha World Herald

Published Thursday
May 20, 2004

Whooping cough vaccinations urged

BY NICHOLE AKSAMIT

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Any thoughts? Should we be running out and vaccinating? I know my dh is going to ask me if he hears about this so I'm looking to everyone here to help me have a good answer. I'm assuming the infant was probably not breastfed or that obviously would have helped as the mother would have been producing antibodies and passing them along to the infant. However, perhaps it is unfair for me to assume that. I'm just wondering what everyone here thinks.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#2 of 48 Old 05-20-2004, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am sad for that family.

I too wonder if the baby was bf'd. Or if baby was born by C/S, or innumerable other factors...

two other things popped out at me...

1. if the mother passed the virus to the baby, vaccinating other children wouldn't have straight up prevented this case. and if you assume that the vaccine was 100% effective - wouldn't it be better to vaccinate prior to pregnancy to prevent mothers from giving it to their babies since the babies are too young to get the vaccine themselves?

2. if indeed this is such a problem, why only 1 death in 15 years? if this is so fatal and highly communicable, wouldn't you expect a much higher incidence of the disease and death than 1 case in 15 years?

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#3 of 48 Old 05-20-2004, 12:29 PM

after dealing with pertusis for the last 2.5 mos (it being known confirmed pertusis for only 1mo), i just don't know what to say about this anymore. yes, it'a a tragedy that this baby was lost to it, but what could have been done to change the baby's outcome? can't vax for it at birth, and even if ya could, the vax is not effective in many cases. when it is "effective", it wears off w/out anyone knowing it's done so.

my (vaxed for p) teenager brought this yucky stuff home from school & two of my three invaxed children got it. it's been a LONG couple of mos, dealing with health depts, schools, drs, etc. but the worst part is that everyone is over it but my 2yo (no longer bf-i wish he would!) toddler. he coughs for minutes at a time, sometimes turning all shades of red & blue it's scary stuff-and he can't be left alone for any amount of time because he might choke-and we have to make sure he takes a breath after his exhausting coughing fits. sigh.

but ya know, there's really nothing we could have done to prevent this mess. even if we had vaxed, my oldest would have still cought it-and out of 4 children, even if they were vaxed for it, statistics say that at least one of them would have gotten it. there's just no winning in a situation like this, yk?

i can tell you that lifelong immunity appeals to me a great deal-and i'm a little disappointed my 9yo didn't get it, for that reason.
#4 of 48 Old 05-20-2004, 02:22 PM

that is so sad for the family of that baby. My son caught a confirmed case of whooping cough at daycare, the doctors didn't diagnose for a month they kept telling me it was a cold or that he was coughing to get attention. by the time They diagnosed it I had received three dr's notes that he was non contagious and could go back to daycare that made it really hard to convince work that I needed to stay home with my son. Eventually when I took him to the er for turning purple they tested him although they thought it was very unlikely. he was prescribed antibiotics whihc he refused to take so we stayed at home for two months (lost my job). the odd thing is that even though all of the children had received at least three shots of the vaccine the health department forced the parents to put their kids on preventative antibiotics, the one family who refused had to take their kid out of daycare for two weeks, this to me signals that the vaccine is not very effective
#5 of 48 Old 05-20-2004, 02:28 PM

From what I have read, the incidence of Whooping Cough is astronomical. It is just rarely, rarely diagnosed.

I am convinced that I had whooping cough as a junior in high school. I would cough and cough and cough so hard I would finaly throw up. It was diagnosed as an allergy, I quit soccer to get away from the "allergen" and eventually got better.

I feel horribly for that family. What a tragic loss.

#6 of 48 Old 05-20-2004, 03:35 PM

The key point here, "The rare death of an Omaha baby from whooping cough"

If there was a rare death from SARS, would you run out and vaccinate?

Death from flu is much more common, but how many run out and get that vaccine?

It is a tragedy for the family no matter how rare. I do wonder though about the circumstances surrounding this baby's death, less than 4 wks of age, was the baby carried around into crowds, breastfed or bottlefed. etc etc. At least the article pointed out that it was rare.

The vaccine protection, if any is obtained, is short lived, so much for "herd" immunity.
#7 of 48 Old 05-20-2004, 04:30 PM

1st Question.

How old was the baby?

2nd. The URL for this is gone, but it was on www.stuff.co.nz
Quote:
Whooping Cough cases increase
26 February 2004

...The vaccine is 80-90 per cent effective, but starts to wear off after three years.
Actually that's rubbish. the highest efficacy for the one used in NZ is 72%.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#8 of 48 Old 05-20-2004, 04:57 PM

I feel very bad for the family but it makes me mad that they use it to promote vaccinating. The baby was so young and I also wonder if it was BF?

Dmitrizmom-why would it matter if they were born by c-section?

Homeschooling Momma to DD 8 years old, DS 7 years old, DS born 03/11 by adoptionheart-1.gif , waiting for DD born 07/10 and two furry labs. Wife to my wonderful husband of 12 years.
#9 of 48 Old 05-20-2004, 05:27 PM

Although my children are partially vaxed (& they are vaxed for pertussis), I would not rush out and vaccinate. I think that vaccinations are something that should be well thought through & not done based on fear. I, personally, chose to vaccinate for pertussis b/c I felt that the risk from the disease was greater than the risk from the vaccine, but I'm sure that not everyone agrees with me. The risk of dying from whooping cough for an infant who contracts it is something like 1 in 100, if I remember correctly. We have fairly high rates of whooping cough where I live, so I didn't want to take that risk & was willing to take the risk of any problems from the vaccine.

However, I will not be doing the booster for pertussis for my younger dd when she turns 5. By that time, I am not as concerned about the disease risk as I am about the vaccine risk, since pertussis is much more dangerous in an infant than a kindergartener. These are just my personal decisions, though.
#10 of 48 Old 05-20-2004, 05:46 PM

FWIW, Vanderbilt University is in trials on giving the DTaP vaccine at two weeks of age...supposedly to prevent "just this problem" of newborns getting pertussis. As my DS was recently born there, my pedi said she had considered asking me if I wanted to sign up, but she figured that if I wasn't vacc'ing to begin with, then why would I want to do an "extra" DTaP.

I had whooping cough while I was pregnant. Imagine morning sickness AND that dratted cough spasm crap. Ugh! It wasn't fun, but I got through it and moved on. My pedi also told me that most cases of transmission now are between adults or adults to children. I don't believe that having it confers lifelong immunity. The immunity seems to last several years, however.

Pedi and I are on differing sides of the fence regarding the pertussis vaccine (although she's great otherwise), but she grudging admitted that having had it recently myself and that I am breastfeeding should offer good protection. In fact, one of the reasons she said that Vanderbilt is performing this study is to see if the vaccine can be effective at that early of an age because the protective benefits of breastmilk seem to override the ability of the vaccine's mechanism. Should I NOT be surprised that most women who are going to give up breastfeeding do so within that two month window prior to the vaccinations? Hmmm...

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#11 of 48 Old 05-20-2004, 05:53 PM

i read about an outbreak of P in a day care from i link i found here several months ago.... i do remember the article saying that almost all of the kids who go the P were vaxed against it, including the one who exposed everyone else to it.
nuff said

ps
i can make no judgement about that baby that died b/c we do not know if it was b/f, left to CIO, from a unhealthy preg (smoking, drugs, little nutrtion, etc)
those factors are a HUGE contribution to a baby's chances of warding off any illness and then surviving it after beoming ill.
we all know that
#12 of 48 Old 05-20-2004, 07:28 PM

from what I've read (FWIW, I can't remember where)... Babies born by c/s without a trial of labor are more likely to have respiratory issues in their first year. The compressions of contractions help to clear amniotic fluid from the lungs during labor and prepare the lungs for air. If you start with a respiratory system compromised in such a manner, it might make a difference in the baby's ability to handle diseases that affect the respiratory tract... just a thought...

and no.. I'm not slamming c/s. some are necessary and I acknowlege that... just keeping in mind that there are ramifications (as there can be with vaginal delivery as well).

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#13 of 48 Old 05-20-2004, 09:06 PM

Very sad. "Was the baby breastfed?" was the first question that popped into my mind.

AAP Policy Statement: Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk

Quote:
Epidemiologic research shows that human milk and breastfeeding of infants provide advantages with regard to general health, growth, and development, while significantly decreasing risk for a large number of acute and chronic diseases. Research in the United States, Canada, Europe, and other developed countries, among predominantly middle-class populations, provides strong evidence that human milk feeding decreases the incidence and/or severity of diarrhea,1-5 lower respiratory infection,6-9 otitis media,3,10-14 bacteremia,15,16 bacterial meningitis,15,17 botulism,18 urinary tract infection,19 and necrotizing enterocolitis.20,21 There are a number of studies that show a possible protective effect of human milk feeding against sudden infant death syndrome,22-24 insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,25-27 Crohn's disease,28,29 ulcerative colitis,29 lymphoma,30,31 allergic diseases,32-34 and other chronic digestive diseases.35-37 Breastfeeding has also been related to possible enhancement of cognitive development.38,39
The other issue that pops out to me are visitors and going out in public with a newborn. We are told to stay home the first few weeks postpartum, not to expose the baby to germs. Some new moms and dads are grocery shopping, walking around public (malls, etc...) with their newborn in the Bjorn. I see it all the time.

I remember staying home the first few weeks and feeling like I was going to lose my mind. So I sympathize.

I think American women (in particular) are eager to prove that they are fine and healthy after birth. Being seen as "independent" is something really pushed in our culture, early on. I was like that the first time... "I'm fine, what do you mean, rest?" Well, I learned my lesson... I suffered some prolapse issues within a few months... I'm now going to do what women in third world countries have done for centuries... rest for the first 40 days, recuperate from birth, and accept (and ask for) help.

Anyway, this story just reinforces for me the need to stay home in the early weeks and limit visitors. It doesn't necessarily make me wish there was a PERTUSSIS vaccine available at birth. There was a USA Today article back in December about a rise in Pertussis cases in infants before 2 months of age. The article blamed the fact that immunity wanes in young adults. So now young people/adults are passing it on to babies.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#14 of 48 Old 05-20-2004, 09:17 PM

Darkhorsemama, if Vanderbilt univ. are going to experiment giving the DPT to 2 week old babies that is a most dangerous and unethical piece of research. Because anyone who is not a dyed in the wool pro-vaccinator can see that the triple vaccine is already a very controversial vaccine for 2 month old babies, who are much bigger and more robust than 2 week olds. Since it is already damaging and occasionally maiming with brain damage (from encephalitis) these much bigger babies (hence the millions of dollars of compensations paid out to parents via VAERS), they will only the more so do with the little ones who sadly get put forward by their ignorant and poorly informed parents.
#15 of 48 Old 05-20-2004, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
T

Quote:
FWIW, Vanderbilt University is in trials on giving the DTaP vaccine at two weeks of age
Can't help but wonder if Bill Frist is somehow responsible for this trial to occur at Vanderbilt.. kwim?

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#16 of 48 Old 05-21-2004, 10:36 AM

Fatal illness is a fact of life and medicine. Pertussis vaccination is worth considering but parents have the right to make choices for their own children.

This baby and family had no opportunity to make a choice and the tragedy is beyond terrible. Many illnesses called pertussis are not really pertussis even though this may have been.

I continue to place much of the blame on irresponsible manufacturers and doctors who failed to make the safest vaccines and then present them in an honest fashion. They have made parents' choices even more difficult.

JNG
#17 of 48 Old 05-21-2004, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gordon, MD
Fatal illness is a fact of life and medicine. Pertussis vaccination is worth considering but parents have the right to make choices for their own children.

This baby and family had no opportunity to make a choice and the tragedy is beyond terrible. Many illnesses called pertussis are not really pertussis even though this may have been.

I continue to place much of the blame on irresponsible manufacturers and doctors who failed to make the safest vaccines and then present them in an honest fashion. They have made parents' choices even more difficult.

JNG
i'm curious how pertusis might be misdx if a culture & lab are done? i understand the tests are not always 100%, but what about the typical "whoop" in my child who was dx with pertusis a mo ago? it scares me to think that he might have something else after getting this dx, and seeing SO many different drs for the same illness, kwim?

also, totally off topic but i'll ask anyway~nobody seems to know the answer to how long my child will be sick w/this dibilitating cough. on average, of the cases you've seen, how long do toddlers cough with it? we're on mo 2
#18 of 48 Old 05-21-2004, 02:27 PM

The culture (NP swab) is notoriously inaccurate.

The "gold standard" is finding anti-pertussis antibodies in a blood test of a non-vaccinated child.

A CBC with a high lymph count is helpful but common in many illnesses.

Many illnesses can cause a child to whoop. Doctors may be motivated to make the dx of pertussis to convince others that the illness is more common than it really is. On the other hand, pretending that whooping cough does not exist and that the vaccine is worthless is also intellectual dishonesty.

BUT, I agree that a putting the pieces together, along with a "whooping cough" that lasts for 4-6 weeks or more makes the diagnosis of pertussis quite likely.

Sadly, the illness can drag on for three months and the symptoms can be reactivated even with a cold for the months more. The contagious period is quite short and may be as short as 3-5 days.

JNG
#19 of 48 Old 05-21-2004, 06:04 PM

Wow, Dr. Gordon, that is good info to have.

So if I had had WC, they could do a blood test and find antibodies, and that would prove I'd had it? Even if no one thought so at the time? I ask because I think that I, like DarkHorseMama, had it during this pregnancy. However, I was vaxed as a child, so perhaps that would throw things off.

Maybe there's no way to find out now? None of my health care providers seemed to care about my cough; they blamed it on allergies and asthma, even though I was coughing hard enough to change colors and throw up.

About cultures...are there are doctor's offices (I'm talking about mainstream here) that actually DO cultures anymore? I haven't had a culture done in a decade, and that was at my absolute insistence, while uninsured and paying out of pocket.
#20 of 48 Old 05-21-2004, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom
I am sad for that family.

I too wonder if the baby was bf'd. Or if baby was born by C/S, or innumerable other factors...

nevermind, i saw your answer. Thanks
curious, what does c/s have to do with it?
#21 of 48 Old 05-21-2004, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom
from what I've read (FWIW, I can't remember where)... Babies born by c/s without a trial of labor are more likely to have respiratory issues in their first year. The compressions of contractions help to clear amniotic fluid from the lungs during labor and prepare the lungs for air. If you start with a respiratory system compromised in such a manner, it might make a difference in the baby's ability to handle diseases that affect the respiratory tract... just a thought...

and no.. I'm not slamming c/s. some are necessary and I acknowlege that... just keeping in mind that there are ramifications (as there can be with vaginal delivery as well).

That's what she was referring to.
#22 of 48 Old 05-21-2004, 06:21 PM

hvl25 - not sure if you missed my second post on this thread (about 8 posts up )... has to do with the benefits of the contractions to the baby's lungs that they don't get without a trial of labor.

#23 of 48 Old 05-21-2004, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy
T

Can't help but wonder if Bill Frist is somehow responsible for this trial to occur at Vanderbilt.. kwim?
Frist? Oh, the Republican party-line patsy? Don't get me started or this thread will get banished to Activism.
:LOL

Aqua, I'll see if I can dig up the website. I know there was one listed on the "call for research" flyer at my pedi's office. The other thing is that I remember they wanted to make sure it was given before the HepB vaccine, prolly to rule out which reaction was caused by which vaccine. Ugh.

#24 of 48 Old 05-22-2004, 03:49 PM

TiredX2 got me thinking... I had terrible coughing fits that kept my teacher parents up all night on shifts when I was 3 and 4. I had been to numerous specialist as a young child and doped up on acohol based cough medicines out of Germany. My mother was told it was asthma. I asked my mother if she removed the stuffed animals and carpeting from my room -- no was the answer. My coughing stopped when we moved and we were out at sea for a month. I was vax, but your post made me wonder if I had whooping cough???

Question for Dr. Jay Gordon... If you have children or when you do have children will you vac them according to schedule, use a modified schedule, delay vac or not vac at all?

Back to Topic for the mother wondering what to do... Look at the statistics of whooping cough for the age of your child. The mortality rate is low. After you take into account the risk of actually getting whooping cough and the effects of the disease verses the rate of risk of the vaccine make an informed choice. I'd have see the numbers before I could make a decision for myself and assess the overall health of my children.

I feel for you, I don't know what I would do until I researched it throughly.
#25 of 48 Old 05-22-2004, 03:56 PM

My seventeen year old daughter was partially vaccinated (DT not the old DPT in 1986-87) and had whooping cough at age nine. She infected none of her friends, missed no school, but was sick and coughing all night for two months or more.

If I were to have children right now, I would give no vaccines at all. This approach is not for everybody and not applicable to families or children in different risk categories. (eg. cardiac dz, asthma, immune impairments)

Jay
#26 of 48 Old 05-22-2004, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well, as the OP of this thread, I've been following this discussion with much interest. I especially appreciate Dr. Gordon taking the time to read these discussions and post here.

DS is currently 10 months and has had one shot - the DTaP. Our ped, in my pre-birth interview, actually volunteered that we did NOT have to vaccinate on published scheduled dates and said his preference is 6, 8 and 10 months rather than 2, 4 and 6. We did the DTaP at 9 months and DS was up every hour that night. Of course, the same night, DH had a headache, stomach ache, heartburn, couldn't breathe due to a cold, etc. so he was absolutely no help whatsoever. I was supposed to take DS back in within a couple weeks for the Hib, but I haven't gotten around to it since I haven't woken up on any given morning and though, "You know, I really want to get up every hour tonight with a grumpy baby who won't sleep. I think I'll get DS his next shots today."

Then a couple weeks ago, we went to a presentation given by our chiropractor that was basically a summary of the information at www.909shot.com. After that presentation, DH was mostly convinced that we didn't HAVE to vaccinate. He comes from a farming background where you vaccinate beef cattle or they get sick and you lose money. However, if those same cattle were given free range in a pasture rather than being penned up together, he concedes that vaccinations wouldn't be so important. His last hang-up, however, was that he wanted to hear from a medical doctor, not just a chiropractor, who would say that you don't HAVE to vaccinate.

Around the same time, I heard from a friend who had the same OB/GYN that I had that this doctor did not vaccinate his own children. This same doctor also refuses to prescribe the pill, incidentally. I inquired about it at his office and the receptionist confirmed what I had heard and let me talk to one of the nurses who also hasn't vaccinated her children. I asked about issues such as getting into public school later on. She told me there is a doctor in town who will sign medical waivers. That same doctor happens to be our pediatrician. Needless to say, I now feel comfortable with our decision not to vaccinate, and DH seems to as well.

On a different note, before I became a mom, I worked for a company that made vaccines such as the DTaP and others. My job was in quality assurance where I typed the SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) and batch/test records that they used to make the vaccines. I was pre-med in college and took all the sciences (before changing career plans) so I understood a lot of what I saw in those documents. As I made the changes in each revision, I was privy to what the debates were about how the vaccines were made as well as the standards they must meet in order to be released for use. I also saw the money side of it as our company had to sell product in order to fund research as well as maintain basic operations and production of product. I will say that everything seemed to revolve around visits from the FDA and what we needed to do in order to convice them that our product was safe and produced according to reputable standards. If the FDA didn't approve our product, we couldn't sell it, and if we didn't sell product, we wouldn't be staying in business.

I also, while in college, took a class on the philosophy of science. We basically spent a quarter arguing about how to prove a thesis is valid - how much data you must have and how "air-tight" an argument must seem in order to be considered valid. And yes, you can have an ongoing debate about that very issue for ten weeks. It's not a closed case, as some might lead you to believe.

With that said, I think that vaccines and the science behind them, while good, is not necessarily fail-safe. Do I put my faith in an imperfect product that may do some good but may also do some bad? Personally, I'd rather reduce my risk via other means, such as nursing my child until he is at least 2, eating a healthy diet, getting exercise, etc. If DS does get whooping cough before the age of 2, my body will also be producing antibodies since I too will be exposed to it, and by nursing him, he will have a better chance of survival. Do I think that it is likely that he will get whooping cough? No. It is even less likely that he will die from it if in fact he does get it. If he gets it after age 2, his immune system is more developed and should be equipped to handle it, though I am sure having such a disease would not be fun under any circumstances.

Finally, as for being alarmed about the whooping cough death that occured less than 45 minutes from my home, I'll be quite honest. When I was pregnant, I would hear these horror stories about giving birth and other complications of pregnancy. Those stories never bothered me, because I figured if it happened to someone I knew, odds were, it wouldn't happen to me. My own pregnancy and birth story have their own "horror" aspects, but they are different from every single story that I heard when I was pregnant. So it is probably terrible for me to say this, but if a child that close to me died from the whooping cough, I am now even less concerned about DS contracting it, much less dying from it. Is that a fail-safe theory? Probably not any more than the science behind vaccines. It makes me feel better, though, and that's what matters in the quality of my day-to-day life.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#27 of 48 Old 05-22-2004, 11:16 PM

<whistle>

Great post, Tana.

#28 of 48 Old 05-23-2004, 02:30 AM

What a sad story.

Two of my children have had whooping cough. They both had the swab test, my daughter had it twice. My daughter had been vaccinated and my son, Dylan had not.

Dylan faired and recovered much faster than my daughter. Even though he was formula fed, had RSV at 5 months old and suffers from asthma. My daughter was very sick for two weeks and coughed for nearly three months with a "whoop".

After Jack was born, I would not qualify him as sickly, but he had apnea and he was "juicy". Just a very wet sound to his breathing. I decided to vaccinate him but we did it on a delayed schedule. I know its not a 100% but its something I felt comfortable doing at that time.
#29 of 48 Old 05-23-2004, 03:04 AM

Molyeilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gordon, MD
The culture (NP swab) is notoriously inaccurate.

The "gold standard" is finding anti-pertussis antibodies in a blood test of a non-vaccinated child.
None of this is published in medical journals. In my opinion, they don't want to "confuse" the issues.

The gold standard here for diagnosis of pertussis is a naso pharangeal swab, which is analysed by Polymerase Chain Reaction. The advantage of this test is that it can sit around for a week or more, and still come up with very accurate results.

Apparently antibodies to pertussis don't mean much, since there is doubt that the antibodies that "used to be said" to be from pertussis are. According to a friend of mine who works in one of the laboratories here, they often see "pertussis" antibodies after haemophilus (capsular and non-capsular).

So there is now discussion behind the scenes about the use of antibody tests, but they really don't want to upset the boat on this one.

Quote:

A CBC with a high lymph count is helpful but common in many illnesses.

Many illnesses can cause a child to whoop. Doctors may be motivated to make the dx of pertussis to convince others that the illness is more common than it really is. On the other hand, pretending that whooping cough does not exist and that the vaccine is worthless is also intellectual dishonesty.
What we find here, is that doctors sometimes diagnose adenovirus, or pseudopertussis, or parapertussis in vaccinated children. Most likely, though, they will be diagnosed as having asthma, and prescribed steroids.

Unvaccinated children, however, are usually diagnosed with pertussis, even in the absense of a PCR...

Its called medicopolitics.

Quote:
BUT, I agree that a putting the pieces together, along with a "whooping cough" that lasts for 4-6 weeks or more makes the diagnosis of pertussis quite likely.

Sadly, the illness can drag on for three months and the symptoms can be reactivated even with a cold for the months more. The contagious period is quite short and may be as short as 3-5 days.

JNG
PCR testing here, has shown that the infectious period can last for up to four weeks.

The cold reactivates the cough symptoms, but does not reactivate whooping cough disease process itself (I think this is an important distinction, and mothers need to know why). The reason a cold brings back the symptoms, is because the original whooping cough is caused by the pertussis bacteria lodging in the cilia of the bronchials, and excreting a toxin, which cuts the hairs off. The more hairs that are cut off, the less able is the balt system to circulate mucosal fluid up and out the bronchials. So it pools down the bottom, until it builds up enough to start to restrict breathing. The coughing is triggered by that, and mothers will often find that child coughs up a fairly large splodge of clear thickish mucus.

The hairs take up to six months to grow back to their full length after whooping cough, so its understandable that if a child gets a cold in the first few months after having the hairs cut off by whooping cough, they will have more mucus, be still unable to get it up, and the body will react in the identical way it did to whooping cough.

However, that cough will only last for the duration of the cold, or the duration of the production of excess mucus, and when the hairs grow back, there should be far less of a problem.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#30 of 48 Old 05-23-2004, 03:14 AM

That poor family

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page