• 2 Post By serenbat
  • 1 Post By ChristinaLucia
  • 2 Post By Asiago

#1 of 11 Old 01-29-2015, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Measles at Disneyland caused by wild Measles virus

Just in case people were wondering, measles in Disneyland is linked to the wild measles virus. (Data from Jan 23, 2015)

http://emergency.cdc.gov/HAN/han00376.asp

"
For cases with age reported, the age of case-patients range from 10 months to 57 years (median = 16.5 years). To date, 8 (15%) case-patients were hospitalized. Of the 52 outbreak-associated cases, 28 (55%) were unvaccinated, 17 (31%) had unknown vaccination status, and 6 (12%) were vaccinated. Of the 6 cases vaccinated, 2 had received 1 dose and 4 had received 2 or more doses. Among the 28 unvaccinated cases, 5 were under age for vaccination. Measles genotype information was available from 9 measles cases; all were genotype B3 and all sequences linked to this outbreak are identical. The sequences are also identical to the genotype B3 virus that caused a large outbreak in the Philippines in 2014. During the last 6 months, identical genotype B3 viruses were also detected in at least 14 countries and at least 6 U.S. states, not including those linked to the current outbreak."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-29-2015, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Wonder if they are all b3, sounds like only 9 were identified.
applejuice likes this.

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

― Benjamin Franklin
#3 of 11 Old 01-29-2015, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMRguy View Post
Wonder if they are all b3, sounds like only 9 were identified.
It sounds like only 9 were tested.
applejuice likes this.
#4 of 11 Old 01-29-2015, 08:48 PM

I have no reason to believe all 52 original cases wont be the same genotype.
applejuice likes this.

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

― Benjamin Franklin
#5 of 11 Old 01-29-2015, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Very curious if the 31% who could not verify vaccination were actually not vaccinated, from other countries, or were vaccinated but could not produce records and thus wre left unlabeled to keep the totals of vaccinated people low. Another report, whose link I lost but it's still up on cnn, claimed that there were 16 adults in la county who caught it. If someone asked me to prove my vaccination status whilst on vacation, I would have to hope my mom still had that card in her drawer.
applejuice and beckybird like this.

Slightly crunchy mama of three, one cs, one ubac, one vbac. Planning a vbac in October. Bookworms anonymous member.
#6 of 11 Old 01-30-2015, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayebond View Post
Very curious if the 31% who could not verify vaccination were actually not vaccinated, from other countries, or were vaccinated but could not produce records and thus wre left unlabeled to keep the totals of vaccinated people low. Another report, whose link I lost but it's still up on cnn, claimed that there were 16 adults in la county who caught it. If someone asked me to prove my vaccination status whilst on vacation, I would have to hope my mom still had that card in her drawer.
Same can be said - a birth certificate - most have things recorded in family records, states now require certified copies. I have no certified copy of immunizations, most don't. And they don't seem to take your word for it either.

Most men, during conscription are assumed if you can prove you were in the military. For most women, there are no records that are certified /verified and we not talking 65+ here either but much younger people.
applejuice and beckybird like this.

ANTI-GMO too! & Proud of it!  
 pro-transparency advocate
&
  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.
Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."       
#7 of 11 Old 02-02-2015, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the information. I was wondering about it. I wouldn't be able to produce any records for vaccination and my pediatrician's office destroys them at a certain age.
applejuice likes this.
#8 of 11 Old 02-02-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaLucia View Post
Thanks for the information. I was wondering about it. I wouldn't be able to produce any records for vaccination and my pediatrician's office destroys them at a certain age.
Yep, up to 21 years old, or at most 7 year from when the patient was last seen.

― Benjamin Franklin
#9 of 11 Old 02-02-2015, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I read that the vaccine only covers measles in genotype A. Does anyone know?
#10 of 11 Old 02-02-2015, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo77 View Post
I read that the vaccine only covers measles in genotype A. Does anyone know?
It is my understanding that all wild type Measles Viruses were at one time derived from Genotype A. Genotype A was the one that was common in the US in the 1950s and 60s also.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1318492/pdf/1743-422X-2-87.pdf
applejuice and EMRguy like this.
#11 of 11 Old 02-05-2015, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks for the info!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page