McCarthyism (And I Ain't Talkin' Jenny) - Mothering Forums

117Likes

#1 of 84 Old 02-12-2015, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
McCarthyism (And I Ain't Talkin' Jenny)

Move over, Red Scare. Make way for Red Measles Scare! Sen. Joseph McCarthy would be so proud of us Americans, (and in one case below, the Canadians). I’m going to post some examples of the latest McCarthyism stemming from measles hysteria. Please add your own.

This one is just psycho: A rallying cry to publish addresses of non-vaccinating families: http://time.com/3703769/vaccine-refu...els-addresses/

An attempt to fire a professor for disagreeing: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...th-course.html

An attempt to fire a city employee who doesn’t vaccinate: http://www.krem.com/story/news/local...sign/23264513/

“Journalism jail” for non-subservient journalists: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidkro...cal-reporting/

Or at least let’s censor their speech, because anything say against vaccines at any time is wrong: http://www.voicesforvaccines.org/wpv...oolkit-VFV.pdf

And just when you thought that persecuting Hollywood actors for their ideologies was, like, soooo 1955 . . . . http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/sta...ng-state-farm/

Finally, I can’t post the meme, but Voices for Vaccines just freakin' creeps me out: “The like-minded stick together. Don’t allow clusters of vaccine refusal in your community—Vaccine refusal threatens us all."

Excuse me? ALLOW?? Are you going to call in law enforcement to break them up, as was done with Communist Party meetings? (Actually, replace the words "vaccine refusals" with "Commies," and you'll feel like you've just stepped out of a time machine).

Feel free to share some examples of vaccine McCarthyism here.
Deborah, serenbat, mamakah and 1 others like this.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Private Parts are Private Property!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 84 Old 02-12-2015, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
Move over, Red Scare. Make way for Red Measles Scare!
This description really made my day! Thank you!
Deborah, Turquesa and Anne Jividen like this.
#3 of 84 Old 02-12-2015, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Ryan White

Some people learn nothing, others know nothing of even recent past.

Hysteria never seems to work out well!
applejuice and Anne Jividen like this.

ANTI-GMO too! & Proud of it!

pro-transparency advocate
&

PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.
Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      

#4 of 84 Old 02-12-2015, 06:01 PM

McCarthyism is good but the 1980's is the same IMO, that did mean kids!
applejuice and Anne Jividen like this.

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

#5 of 84 Old 02-12-2015, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Holy crap, I forgot about Ryan!

I also forgot to mention another glaring example of today's McCarthysim, jailing parents. http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...lumn/22420771/
Deborah and Anne Jividen like this.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor
#6 of 84 Old 02-12-2015, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
@Turquesa - Like

... sorry, IDK how to do 'like' anymore ... there used to be this button, where did it go ...
#7 of 84 Old 02-12-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Holy crap, I forgot about Ryan!

I also forgot to mention another glaring example of today's McCarthysim, jailing parents. http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...lumn/22420771/
You are going in the right general direction -IMO

I do see more of this akin to AIDS and the sheer FEAR & hysterical nuttiness around kids.

So far it either hadn't registered or denial is going on. Most adults are not up to date, let alone the largest group effected thus far are ADULTS. No calls to look into those exemptions teacher can AND do take!!! So worried about little Hannah but not Ms Teacher!

But I see so much a copy of AIDS. This measles hysteria is a disease people should be able to understand and no one freaked years ago like they are today. The not wanting the kids together and the "labeling" is soooo much the same!!!! That didn't work the way parents wanted either did it? Outcrys - Removing -Labeling- Blaming -Namecalling-yup I remember the 80's and it seems like a repeat!

And what did happen??? Protections for those with HIV/ AIDS-and guess what else?........ You to this day can't know who is or isn't effected by HIV/AIDS and they ARE in schools today! WOW!
beckybird and Anne Jividen like this.
#8 of 84 Old 02-12-2015, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Quote:

In your link Alex states:
Quote:
Like drunken drivers, the unvaccinated pose an imminent danger to others.
Not happy to stop there, in an apparent effort to provide us with the best WTF moments, he further states:
Quote:
Anti-vaccine parents are turning their children into little walking time bombs. They ought to be charged for endangering their children and others.
I followed the links.
Alex looks like he has to be home before the street lights come on. I'd put his reasoning skills at that age level too.

Maurice Hillman speaking on the live virus measles vaccine approved in 1963: "It provides high level and lasting immunity and is a paradigm for solving major medical problems without really understanding them."
#9 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Australians got in on the action by trying to cancel the visa of someone with a pernicious ideology. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-0...a-visa/6003322
Deborah likes this.

#10 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMunchkin View Post
@Turquesa - Like

... sorry, IDK how to do 'like' anymore ... there used to be this button, where did it go ...
Thanks! The "like" button barely shows up anymore, on the bottom right of someone's post. It may not show up at all on mobile devices. You used to be able to see who liked what and how many likes someone got. I miss that.

#11 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
I would just casually mention all the witch hunts online..the blog posts, the Facebook pitchforks a blazin' that I've heard about, and here on MDC, all the pro-vax vitriol and hatred towards those who desire choice and freedom in their healthcare. They've said some horrible things that don't need to be repeated, and the others post in circles until one is dizzy from having non-questions hurled as accusations.

It's an all out McCarthy trial in every domain we could think of!
Turquesa likes this.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 10 children including an Air Force air traffic controller, and newborn boy/girl twins!

‘To someone whose god is science, vaccination makes sense. But to someone whose god is God, it is appalling’ - Dr. Golden.
#12 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Australians got in on the action by trying to cancel the visa of someone with a pernicious ideology. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-0...a-visa/6003322
hey, and what did that do??? Made people look into it, question, investigate!

For some this isn't even on the radar, many think once you are vaccinated, all is done, no problem, good to go!

Many don't have a clue until their children have children and suddenly they see what is expected vs what they gave their own children- a light goes of in some minds.

There will always be those that do as they are told, never questioning a thing. Those also IMO are the ones that hear the FEAR and want MANDATORY vaccines, "because it was like that when we went to school" - knowing little that there has been opt out for decades with schools.

There a a large group that remembers the past as not this doom and gloom, those who can only recall deaths.

What (as I posted in the other thread) will matter is those it directly effects. With AIDS fear was one thing, another was it was just "gays" - meaning it had no direct effect for many for years. When it filtered down into children and schools, hysteria took over!

Hysteria isn't a good time to do much, let alone pass laws. Good thing is history has shown us trying to base fear on laws can have blowback.

This will be the issue foremost for those having babies and those babies going to school. That generations has a distrust of government. Thrown in a vaccine schedule that is increasing, not decreasing and you will have those who will questions, rise up and not go with the status quo...............the PRO side can say over and over "autism and NO LINK", but those numbers are not getting better either!

&

#13 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
You used to be able to see who liked what and how many likes someone got. I miss that.
Likewise. I thought 'like' is also a nice way to participate when no time to post.
#14 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post
Hysteria isn't a good time to do much, let alone pass laws. Good thing is history has shown us trying to base fear on laws can have blowback.
Let inflammatory rhetorics run amok, fuel panic while blaming a sub-group of population for it - a hallmark of responsible public policy.
#15 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMunchkin View Post
Let inflammatory rhetorics run amok, fuel panic while blaming a sub-group of population for it - a hallmark of responsible public policy.
Perfect for problem, reaction, solution though,
Deborah likes this.

Humanity is a species endangered by its beliefs, and most of all, its religious illusion of superiority.. ~ John Lamb Lash
#16 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFillingQuiver View Post
I would just casually mention all the witch hunts online..the blog posts, the Facebook pitchforks a blazin' that I've heard about, and here on MDC, all the pro-vax vitriol and hatred towards those who desire choice and freedom in their healthcare. They've said some horrible things that don't need to be repeated, and the others post in circles until one is dizzy from having non-questions hurled as accusations.

It's an all out McCarthy trial in every domain we could think of!

Since I think I'm one of the people you're referring to with the bolded, I can assure you that I'm not trying to make accusations at all, I'm trying to dig down to 1) try to understand the POV of anti-/non-vaxxers, and 2) maybe expose places where I think their logic breaks down, if I can. Can you explain either of those objectives fits with "McCarthyism?"
#17 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear_Rosemary View Post
Can you explain either of those objectives fits with "McCarthyism?"
I don't understand what you are saying.

You are not the only reincarnated pro-vaxer on MDC vaccination forums.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 10 children including an Air Force air traffic controller, and newborn boy/girl twins!

‘To someone whose god is science, vaccination makes sense. But to someone whose god is God, it is appalling’ - Dr. Golden.
#18 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm Catholic, we don't get reincarnated, we just end up in purgatory for millions of years. :
ss834 and devilish like this.
#19 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:

It's called fishing - remember feeding the trolls, marketing!

&

#20 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I'm Catholic, we don't get reincarnated, we just end up in purgatory for millions of years. :
Uh oh!

#21 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Quote:
You have my sympathy.

I'm an esoteric Christian and we get to have a side-order of reincarnation.

But to return to the vaccine battles...

It is getting quite hysterical out there. This sort of stuff happens regularly in the US. One of the dangers of democracy I suspect.

I could probably put together a list of outbreaks of hostility towards one or another group of "misfits" at various points in time.

A couple of examples:

attacks on labor union members
attacks on foreigners
attacks on Catholics
#22 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 11:42 AM

A quick scan of VOM (Voice of the Martyrs) and one would be horrified at the atrocities perpetrated around the world against Christians.

Simply possessing a Bible for private use in places like China, India, and many parts of Africa and the Middle East commonly results in the public raping and beheading of believers and their wives in the streets.

It should evoke emotion and concern into folks of any belief system and of any/no faith, that comments about killing ones children, jailing parents, injecting people with cyanide, etc., (printed many, many times in recent weeks from the pro-vax side) are common, acceptable, "funny", receive LOL's and high fives.

When men died in the masses, and their wives and children, as well, to establish a democratic republic based on freedom and personal protection from gov't, just to have people verbally assaulted for desiring those freedoms, we ought to be concerned. The chance of it escalating from online comments to real life threats is real.
Deborah, Crazybean and beckybird like this.

#23 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Quote:
Hopefully vaccinated!
#24 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMRguy View Post
Hopefully vaccinated!
Jesus healed a lot of people. He never vaccinated anyone.

Maurice Hillman speaking on the live virus measles vaccine approved in 1963: "It provides high level and lasting immunity and is a paradigm for solving major medical problems without really understanding them."
#25 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 12:09 PM

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about pergatory, as it's not found anywhere in my Bible.

However, if Jesus were there, He couldn't be setting up a vaccine clinic there, because He'd have trouble reconciling how to inject my children (gifts from the Almighty) with the fetal cells that we are commanded to protect. One of the many same darned issues I have with it!
beckybird and EMRguy like this.

#26 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 12:18 PM

https://leviquackenboss.wordpress.co...nprotected-ok/

sam

#27 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 12:44 PM

Brilliant! That silly God...He just isn't all He's cracked up to be..forgetful at best..

#28 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Since I think I'm one of the people you're referring to with the bolded, I can assure you that I'm not trying to make accusations at all, I'm trying to dig down to 1) try to understand the POV of anti-/non-vaxxers, and 2) maybe expose places where I think their logic breaks down, if I can. Can you explain either of those objectives fits with "McCarthyism?"
Why try and understand the POV of anti/non? Does that work with your job? A sudden interest just all out of the blue?

Planning to convert?

You do vaccinate-correct?

Why the fixation in each thread?
#29 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post
Why try and understand the POV of anti/non? Does that work with your job? A sudden interest just all out of the blue?

Planning to convert?

You do vaccinate-correct?

Why the fixation in each thread?
Nah, I think he doesn't have children. Besides the point.

Rosemario, why dont you ask specific questions and maybe some will answer?
applejuice likes this.
#30 of 84 Old 02-13-2015, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyone interested in showing examples of pro-vaxer logic breakdowns? I bet we could find a few dozen.
applejuice likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page