Celebrities and their stance on vaccines - Mothering Forums

166Likes

#1 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Celebrities and their stance on vaccines

Here comes a thread about celebrities and vaccines, right? Rolling eyes, I know, but I continue to see articles since the measles outbreak as to which celebrities support vaccines, most recently Kristen Bell is appearing on this list, and which do not, so I wanted to take a look at some other's stances. We have all seen Jenny McCarthy's name appear all over MDC, Mayim Bialik more recently, and others, so even though we may not follow celebrities like Perez Hilton does, we're still talking about them.

It made me think... If you are pro-vaccine and you hear one of your favorite celebrities does not vaccinate, and may even possibly be considered "anti-vaccine" by mainstream standards, does that change your opinion of them? And vice versa, for those who don't vaccinate and are cautious about vaccines, if one of your favorite celebrities supports vaccination and is even a spokesperson for a particular group supporting vaccines, will you no longer find that actor/actress as appealing as once before?
applejuice and Anne Jividen like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
I like celebrities to just be quiet.
#3 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't care much about Amanda Peet either way before, but since her "parasite" comment years ago, I have to admit, she ranked even lower on my list, like the bottom So, in my case, I was on the fence with her to begin with but once I heard her remarks, I had decided that I didn't like her.

I think those who are pro-vaccine would have a harder time accepting celebrities who are "anti-vaccine" rather than vice versa. Most of my friends vaccinate, some space them out, some do not, and I don't judge them for it one bit. I don't even talk to them about it. However, with celebrities, we have no relationship or emotional attachment to them so it's much easier to make judgments. With that said, as long as the celebrity does not make hurtful comments about those who don't vaccinate, I don't care what their views are.

#4 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Regarding Jimmy Kimmel's show, I saw it regarding the "anti-vaccine movement." It actually did make me laugh a little bit when the doctors were speaking, even though my stance is much different. His views, however, don't bother me at all because he's a clown and that's what comedians do. They take the most controversial subject and goof on it. Can't take them seriously.
Anne Jividen likes this.
#5 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
My husband and I spend VERY little money supporting Hollywood. I used to be quite into celebrities, all the new movies, music, etc. Now, I can't stomach that these are the people our nation, and the world looks to as examples. By and large, a "chick" who got some good acting classes and hook-ups with good casting agents and producers in her life, thus being cast in big movies, has a LOT LESS credibility/impact on my views of any given topic than say, a Christian mama of several kids who blogs about her daily walk with Christ and natural journey of mothering and not vaccinating.

Since I don't have a big stake in the game as far as "Oh no my favorite actor is a pro-vax militant", I don't have to keep up with who likes what this week, just like I don't have to be concerned over who is divorcing/marrying/and acting like an expert on whatever topic de jour is cool this week.

I do, however, love most movies made before 1960. Not too many of those celebs left commenting on vaccines these days!

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 10 children.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

‘To someone whose god is science, vaccination makes sense. But to someone whose god is God, it is appalling’ - Dr. Golden.
#6 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

I don't follow celebrities anymore either (and especially since the music industry is heading in the direction it's heading in anyway. It has changed so much, but that's a whole other forum!)

I do have a newfound respect for celebrities, who are not anti-vaccine, that actually speak up about what they have witnessed with their own family, such as Holly Robinson Peete, whose son has autism. I am not a fan of hers per se, but she does question the MMR and puts it out there that her son had changed since that vaccine and she questions the vaccine schedule. It's pretty sad she is lumped in the category of "antivaxers" when she clearly states she is not antivaccine; she just has a lot of questions and concerns about vaccines.
#7 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 08:10 AM

They are just talking heads, just like the actors on MSM...
#8 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
I was disappointed when I heard about Mayim Bialik's stated views (although she may have changed them recently: http://scienceblogs.com/aetiology/20...e-on-vaccines/). I was a fan of Blossum as a teenager, and with a physics background I find Big Bang Theory quite funny (if a bit misogynistic at times).

Mostly I don't care - they have no more expertise than I do really on the subject.
Anne Jividen likes this.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences). Vaccines save lives.
#9 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Although they do have a much larger platform to shout their views from… so I think they should try to be responsible.
Anne Jividen likes this.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences). Vaccines save lives.
#10 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
I finally caved and watched that clip from Jimmy's show.
I really didn't find it funny but I have more of a British sense of humour. I did smile a bit at the sewing up your head with the sewing kit you stole from the Mariott line but really those kits are complimentary so I'll just say that joke had potential. For all I know he didn't write any of that dialogue and as I never watch that show I am unsure as to whether that's the usual standard of humour.

I don't think they spent too much time working on that piece. He says that parents that don't vaccinate shouldn't be able to go to the doctor or hospital. He says that because these parents don't follow what he claims is the consensus of all doctors to vaccinate, that these parents should have their children smoke because doctors advise against it.

I think we can agree that one policy doctors follow is to advocate against smoking. Do these doctors treat patients who ignore that medical advice? Yes they do. And despite this policy do some medical personnel themselves smoke?
I think we can agree that one policy doctors follow is to advocate against unhealthy weight gain. Do these doctors continue to treat people who ignore that medical advice? Yes they do. And despite this policy are some medical personnel at an unhealthy weight?
I think we can agree that one policy doctors follow is to advocate against excessive alcohol consumption or an addiction to prescribed drugs. Do these doctors continue to treat people who ignore that medical advice? Yes they do. And despite this policy do some medical personnel suffer from personal addictions?

Why the double standard and hypocrisy then?

Who even knows if Jimmy really vaccinates himself/his kids? It came off more like an infomercial than a personal conviction. Actors/Celebrities are paid to make us believe-how ever temporary- that they are someone they are not. Their celebrity doesn't do anything to make them credible for me, no matter which side of the issue they are on.

Anne Jividen likes this.
#11 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Quote:
I think we can agree that one policy doctors follow is to advocate against smoking
Oddly, doctors used to advocate for smoking cigarettes to treat nervousness, weight, and asthma. There are old magazines that still bear witness to this fact.

What you never hear about medical doctors pushing tobacco smoking in the 1930s, 40s, 50s, and 60s is that at the same time alternative doctors as chiropractors, naturopaths, and health nuts who shopped in health food stores were against cigarette smoking. I recall being laughed at in the 1950s and 60s when I told people smoking was not good. Doctors never admit they were wrong and an opponent was right.

In the very late 60s and 70s is when the warnings were put on the cigarette packages and the television ads were removed. Schick had smoking cessation programs popular in the 1980s. http://www.quit-tobacco-today.com/qu...n-therapy.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	th-3.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	16762  

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, ADEM, AFP, ASIA, CFS, GBS, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, POF, POTS, RA, SJS, SLE, SPD, TPI, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, fibromyalgia, Retts Syndrome, encephalitis, Hughes Syndrome, neurological damage, coma, or death."

~paraphrased from "Forrest Gump"~
#12 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 531 Post(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post
Although they do have a much larger platform to shout their views from… so I think they should try to be responsible.
Victoria Beckham came out as pro vaccine fairly recently.

She posted this picture

Along with "Vaccinate For the future @projperpetual #projectvaccinate "

https://twitter.com/victoriabeckham/...54644837089280

Jennifer Garner is also pro vaccine, as is Selma Hayek, Sarah Michelle Geller, Jennifer Lopez, Amanda Peet etc.

Like you said, it doesn't really matter since they aren't experts anyway.

The earth is not flat | Vaccines work | Chemtrails aren't a thing | Climate change is real #standupforscience
#13 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics View Post
I think we can agree that one policy doctors follow is to advocate against unhealthy weight gain. Do these doctors continue to treat people who ignore that medical advice? Yes they do. And despite this policy are some medical personnel at an unhealthy weight?
I think we can agree that one policy doctors follow is to advocate against excessive alcohol consumption or an addiction to prescribed drugs. Do these doctors continue to treat people who ignore that medical advice? Yes they do. And despite this policy do some medical personnel suffer from personal addictions?

Why the double standard and hypocrisy then?

Great points. It makes me think of diabetics who completely ignore the advice of their doctors for the management of their diabetes, such as diet, exercise, etc., but yet the doctor does not kick them out of their practice and they continue to be treated. There is the argument, however, that these individuals are only hurting themselves, not the herd, so I guess it's okay. Those who choose not to vaccinate are being treated as if they're walking time bombs, who are ready to spontaneously combust at any moment, which is so far from the truth.
Anne Jividen likes this.
#14 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
When it comes to politics and personal health choices I really could care less what celebrities have to say.
#15 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post

I recently got a bunch of jabs that cause autism and cancer, and all the gave me was this lousy t shirt!!!
Sorry, could not resist!
#16 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
When it comes to politics and personal health choices I really could care less what celebrities have to say.
#17 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Jennifer Garner is also pro vaccine, as is Selma Hayek, Sarah Michelle Geller, Jennifer Lopez, Amanda Peet etc.

If you're keeping track, Kim Kardashian (who I cannot stand!) can be added as pro-vaccine as well. She made everyone in her family vaccinate for pertussis prior to seeing her baby, even one of the sisters who refused to vaccinate was made to or else she wouldn't get to see the baby.

I know there are a bunch of celeb moms who don't vaccinate as well, or at least question vaccines, so there are definitely groups on both sides in Hollywood. I notice in the articles surrounding "anti-vax celebs" there is a lot of false data reported, such as mumps being caused by the lack of vaccinating families and calling celebs anti-vaccine when they aren't even claiming that title, a lot of misinformation out there.
#18 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Victoria Beckham came out as pro vaccine fairly recently.

She posted this picture

Along with "Vaccinate For the future @projperpetual #projectvaccinate "

https://twitter.com/victoriabeckham/...54644837089280

Awesome! Too posh to push (elective c-section for no reason) AND pro-vax, whodathunk?

I think your comment about "they aren't experts anyway" is a little bit pointed. I think you are digging at all the non-vaxxing parents as not mattering because we aren't experts, either..but Offit..now HE you can follow. And that Goldacre guy...WAY more informed.

The point of my comment above was that I don't care what the vax stance of another individual is..whether they are pro-non-militant whatever...whether they are a celebrity or not. They don't persuade me because they are on TV/big screen. The only folks that seem to care about the vax stance of others are militant pro-vaxers.
applejuice likes this.

‘To someone whose god is science, vaccination makes sense. But to someone whose god is God, it is appalling’ - Dr. Golden.
#19 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Now remember guys...I didn't start this thread to see if you would be swayed on your decision to vaccinate or not if a certain celebrity has a particular viewpoint. I know none of us do that here. The point of the thread is to see if your opinion of a celebrity that you like would diminish if that said celebrity has a polar opposite viewpoint as you do when it comes to vaccinating.
Anne Jividen likes this.
#20 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMRguy View Post
Sorry, could not resist!
"I had a raging episode of paralytic sequelae from my vaccinations, and all I got is this stupid shirt!"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19626606
Anne Jividen likes this.

#21 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon010 View Post
Now remember guys...I didn't start this thread to see if you would be swayed on your decision to vaccinate or not if a certain celebrity has a particular viewpoint. I know none of us do that here. The point of the thread is to see if your opinion of a celebrity that you like would diminish if that said celebrity has a polar opposite viewpoint as you do when it comes to vaccinating.
I totally get your point! I was just trying to have fun with it a bit. I won't bug anymore!
Anne Jividen likes this.

#22 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFillingQuiver View Post
Too posh to push (elective c-section for no reason)?

Is that true? Why? That's insane.
Anne Jividen likes this.
#23 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I remember several years ago, that term was floating around...many celebrities were having their babies via elective c-section for really ridiculous reasons. Now, do what you want, celeb mamas..it's your life..but I don't expect any of these folks to be of the mindset to avoid medical intervention.

Here's one article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wom...hildbirth.html

Here's a list of some celebrities that had c-sections and some supposedly chose this method. Most of them I've read about have cited things that have never caused me any issue with all my natural births..vaginal tearing, etc., just more of the "doctors can do it better" mentality. I don't have the time to look up better lists, but years ago when I was writing a story on natural birth, I found a HUGE list of elective sections..there are even places in enclaves in NY and what have you, where you get a section and a tummy tuck all at the same time.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/featu...togallery.html
Anne Jividen likes this.

#24 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 338 Post(s)
Quoted: 2784 Post(s)
I hardly ever go to movies or read celebrity magazines, so most of the names mean nada to me.

The person who started me on the path to perdition was my grandfather. I never even met him, alas.
Anne Jividen likes this.
#25 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Not according to her (and I think she knows more about why she had c-sections than we do)

"Much has been made of Victoria Beckham’s numerous Caesareans, which, she has always insisted, were not due to her being ‘too posh to push’ but because of an unspecified medical issue. She reportedly had C-sections for the births of her three boys, Brooklyn, 12, Romeo, 8, and 6-year-old Cruz, all on doctors’ orders."

Even if she did, it's her body and her choice. Why on earth would you care?
devilish and chalkdust3r like this.

The earth is not flat | Vaccines work | Chemtrails aren't a thing | Climate change is real #standupforscience
#26 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFillingQuiver View Post
I totally get your point! I was just trying to have fun with it a bit. I won't bug anymore!

Oh no, don't be silly. You're fine Just don't want people to miss the point of the thread. I don't want people thinking I don't vaccinate because Alicia Silverstone says it's bad
Anne Jividen likes this.
#27 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not according to her (and I think she knows more about why she had c-sections than we do)

"Much has been made of Victoria Beckham’s numerous Caesareans, which, she has always insisted, were not due to her being ‘too posh to push’ but because of an unspecified medical issue. She reportedly had C-sections for the births of her three boys, Brooklyn, 12, Romeo, 8, and 6-year-old Cruz, all on doctors’ orders."

LOL. I don't care what she does. It was brought up, so I asked I was just wondering why someone would electively choose a C-Section, that's all. It's a valid question.

I wonder why some people don't have the same mentality when it comes to those who don't vaccinate... Their body, their choice. Words of wisdom!
#28 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:

I don't care. It's a celebrity thread. It's common to find differing stories surrounding celebrities. I've always read she wanted to spare her pelvic organs, and Christina Aguilera scheduled the birth of her child @ 37 weeks to avoid "vaginal tearing" she had heard about. Whatever they want to do! None of my business, except that they are voluntarily in the public eye and sadly, many folks think they are role models.

#29 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
LOL. I don't care what she does. It was brought up, so I asked I was just wondering why someone would electively choose a C-Section, that's all. It's a valid question.

Just wondering...Do you have the same mentality when it comes to those who don't vaccinate? Their body, their choice?
Of course. I've never ever argued that we should hold people down and vaccinate them against their will. That doesn't happen here except in extremely rare circumstances.

#30 of 80 Old 03-05-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:

I wonder why some people don't have the same mentality when it comes to those who don't vaccinate... Their body, their choice. Words of wisdom!
BOOM. Sorta my entire stance summed up!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page