• 1 Post By Turquesa
  • 2 Post By Deborah
  • 1 Post By Deborah

#1 of 5 Old 03-20-2015, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Vaccine Patents Set to Expire?

I heard through the grapevine that some vaccine patents are slated to expire soon, but I can't find evidence to support this. Is this true?
applejuice likes this.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Private Parts are Private Property!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-20-2015, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
What I read is that many drug patents are set to expire and the drug companies are relying on the vaccine business to keep profits up.

“Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. NEVER apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you are right and you know it, speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the Truth is still the Truth.”

~ Gandhi ~
#3 of 5 Old 03-21-2015, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Vaccines are apparently tricky to manufacture, so even when the patents are old, there aren't likely to be new companies coming in. However there may be competition from India and China.

The main approaches to keeping the vaccine business super profitable are creating combo vaccines and coming up with new vaccines. The combo vaccines really do seem to be more dangerous, however, and covering up and denying problems can be a hassle for the poor dears. New vaccines also have their tricky side. Most likely they are for diseases where marketing is an uphill battle--see HPV--because the disease is not well-known or the benefit takes 30 or 40 years to become visible (that is sort of an advantage, as it is hard to tell if the vaccine works, but a disadvantage because it is hard to convince someone that something far in the future is a serious threat) OR for diseases which are horrible, but quite rare. There was a meningitis vaccine that the CDC was having a hard time swallowing (amazing!) because it might save 25 lives a year but would cost $400 million.
applejuice and Turquesa like this.
#4 of 5 Old 03-21-2015, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Thanks. I could have sworn I read a theory somewhere about patenting politics playing in to the latest wave of national hysteria. I'm not sure if I believe it, but it's a theory worth pursuing. If you have any links, I'd appreciate it.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor
Private Parts are Private Property!
#5 of 5 Old 03-21-2015, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Blockbuster drug patents are expiring and that is a reason for the pursuit of vaccines.

The drug companies also want to replace old vaccines with new, combo vaccines, BUT they don't want to have to totally reconfigure the old vaccines. Hence the gaming around the failing pertussis vaccine. Their ideal is to include the current pertussis vaccine into a penta or hepta vaccine, to have the vaccine keep failing so they can keep adding doses of a higher priced vaccine which is equally ineffective. AND to be able to keep blaming the "anti-vaxers" for outbreaks. Frankly, I don't think they will be able to pull off all of that because too many mainstream scientists perfectly understand that the current vaccine is crap.
applejuice likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page