Toronto doctor-selective vaccinations - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 04-07-2015, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Toronto doctor-selective vaccinations

Hi, I'm looking for a pediatrician in Toronto or Vaughan, ON that will support my decision to delay or opt out of vaccinating. My son is almost three months old and had received his first set (prevnar13 and 5-in-1) but I have now decided to hold off further vaccinations. I'm not looking for opinions on whether or not I should vaccinate. I have obviously done (and continue to do) extensive research so I am not looking for that. Just looking for an open minded doctor who will be willing to discuss my options and work with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-07-2015, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Most doctors in Canada will not exclude you for being selective/delayed or non-vax. I did read a CBC article on a doctor who refused to see non-vaxxed patients a few years ago in TO, but that is the exception, not the norm. I have never had a doctor refuse care due to vaccine choices. You may encounter some push back and bad mommy lectures, though. Pediatricians hyper focus on vaccines, ....you might find less issues with a family doctor.

As an aside, and to store away for the future....your child/ren absolutely can go to school in Canada unvaxxed. In most provinces you just send them (bliss.... ) but in 3 provinces, including Ontario, you have to file some easy-peasy exemptions. I live in Ontario (not TO/Vaughn, so I cannot help you with name referrals) and the exemption process is easy and straightforward.

There is a finding your tribe section On MDC. It might have TO moms that can help you with names. http://www.mothering.com/forum/17440-ontario/

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Last edited by kathymuggle; 04-07-2015 at 07:27 AM.
#3 of 5 Old 04-07-2015, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, Kathy! I haven't brought it up with my current pediatrician yet, but I'm pretty sure he won't support my views. He probably won't refuse care, but I would prefer a doctor who sees eye to eye with my choices or at least respects them. I don't want to take him to a family doctor because I would prefer the specialization of a pediatrician. I'm going to check out the thread you posted. Thanks again!
#4 of 5 Old 04-07-2015, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
You could try the Vaccine Choice Canada website.

Personally I would rather not take my child to a paediatrician unless my child had/has some issues that required a specialty. I think it is important for the doctor to have better insight into the family than just taking medical history. My eldest child had seen several paediatricians (more than 5) and out of that lot I was impressed by only one. The rest were a waste of time.

Maurice Hillman speaking on the live virus measles vaccine approved in 1963: "It provides high level and lasting immunity and is a paradigm for solving major medical problems without really understanding them."
#5 of 5 Old 04-08-2015, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I have never had an issue with a family doctor. When it comes up I may get a little eye roll, but they dont push the issue. Other than the odd checkup and infection I really dont take my daughter to the doctor anyway. The only thing she has been there for in the last couple years is a bladder infection and treating her molloscum rash, and in they didnt even ask about vaccines.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page