Well this is interesting.... - Mothering Forums

179Likes

#1 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3227 Post(s)
Well this is interesting....

At least I think it is

Considering he has nearly 4 million twitter followers, I am glad he posted it.

Are people going to argue that Dr. Oz has been "bought" by Big Pharma too?

https://twitter.com/droz/status/644535626579222529
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 9.56.52 AM.png
Views:	135
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	31858  

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

I'm a mom to two great kids and a wife to an amazing husband
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm also proudly #teamvax
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Well, I guess you haven't read any of the comments from many of his millions of followers, if that is indeed a real tweet from him. (I always have my doubts with any kind of social media.) Doesn't appear his followers agree with his post, like you do teacozy. I guess the provax party will now graciously accept Dr. Oz onto their side due to this out-of-the-ordinary post? It's funny how a few months ago the provax party was calling him a quack and now they are embracing him over one little tweet
#3 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon010 View Post
Well, I guess you haven't read any of the comments from many of his millions of followers, if that is indeed a real tweet from him. (I always have my doubts with any kind of social media.)
The blue check mark next to his screen name means that Twitter has in fact verified his identity. Not many people have that verification done so it's safe to assume that this tweet is in fact from Dr Oz.
#4 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
The blue check mark next to his screen name means that Twitter has in fact verified his identity. Not many people have that verification done so it's safe to assume that this tweet is in fact from Dr Oz.
I'm not on Twitter so I don't know much about it. What I do know is that his one tweet doesn't seem to be all that persuasive. Guess he needs to try harder next time. I was never a fan of Oz, so I personally don't get why this is so interesting. I just consider him another doctor on television, that's really it, but that's just me.
EMRguy and Anne Jividen like this.
#5 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
@silvermoon01 , it's not interesting. It is exactly what you say, just the opinion of a television doctor. There are other doctors that hold differing opinions, perhaps we should cut and paste their tweets and post them on here as "interesting".

#BeBrave
#6 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Pretty funny what some people think "counts". As what exactly? Science?

Yes, Dr. Oz does push vaccines.

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
(if the government still allows you to say no...)
#7 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
I find it interesting given what I thought I knew about Dr Oz. Thanks for sharing @teacozy.
teacozy likes this.
#8 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 11:08 AM

From my recollection, he's always been a bit flip-floppy, or wishy-washy anyway, promoting the flu vaccine (literally getting on his hands and knees begging people to get it) while not vaccinating his own children against the flu, so it certainly doesn't surprise me.

I think most people on major television are a bit "bought" anyway.
Mirzam, boomer78 and Anne Jividen like this.
#9 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
and if he tweeted he thought there could be a possible link, he would have been vilified in the media, lost his tv job, lost his license, etc, etc...and the provax camp would still staunchly defend him, saying it must have been a misprint.
#10 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
From my recollection, he's always been a bit flip-floppy, or wishy-washy anyway, promoting the flu vaccine (literally getting on his hands and knees begging people to get it) while not vaccinating his own children against the flu, so it certainly doesn't surprise me.

Of course he is bought, I am sure he gets paid very well for his show, and he wouldn't want to end up like Katie Couric would he?

Sad IMO if people think this tweet is of significance.

#BeBrave
#11 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post
Of course he is bought, I am sure he gets paid very well for his show, and he wouldn't want to end up like Katie Couric would he?

Sad IMO if people think this tweet is of significance.
only those that blindly follow the masses will heed his advice/tweet without question
#12 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post
I find it interesting given what I thought I knew about Dr Oz. Thanks for sharing @teacozy.
Considering he has such a large non-vax following, I found it interesting too

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

#13 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
Considering he has such a large non-vax following, I found it interesting too

Really, you think that? Clearly I move in the different non-vax circles than all these other anti-vaxers. In my experience, he is a laughing stock, flip-flopper and hypocrite. I think you been led astray on this one.

#BeBrave
#14 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Quoted: 2065 Post(s)
Quote:

Mostly this.

I think the tweet is a bit weak.

There is indeed evidence vaccines can be linked to autism in some cases, such as with those with mitochondiral issues.

http://content.time.com/time/health/...721109,00.html

"What's unique about Hannah's case is that for the first time federal authorities have conceded a connection between her autistic symptoms and the vaccines she received, though the connection is by no means simple. A panel of medical evaluators at the Department of Health and Human Services concluded that Hannah had been injured by vaccines — and recommended that her family be compensated for the injuries. The panel said that Hannah had an underlying cellular disorder that was aggravated by the vaccines, causing brain damage with features of autism spectrum disorder (ASD)."

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#15 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 11:40 AM

For me, anything dr oz says is already boughten, and paid for by his sponsors - he's essentially getting paid to say whatever it is they want him to say. I'd like to know how much financial gain he has gained by sponsors, making a tweet like that.
#16 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post
and if he tweeted he thought there could be a possible link, he would have been vilified in the media, lost his tv job, lost his license, etc, etc..."
YUP.

The pro-vax camps have got to stop crucifying anyone in the public eye who questions vaccines.

Until then, we cannot know what Dr. Oz true opinion is, as saying anything vaccine critical can lead to public flogging. Vilification is an enemy of free speech, and without free speech, you cannot trust what is being said.
Anne Jividen likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#17 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Quote:
At least I think it is

Considering he has nearly 4 million twitter followers, I am glad he posted it.

Are people going to argue that Dr. Oz has been "bought" by Big Pharma too?

https://twitter.com/droz/status/644535626579222529
Anne Jividen likes this.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor

Proud member of #teamvaxchoice
#18 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 11:53 AM

Vilification is necessary to protect the vaccination program.

Which gives me an an insight into the various values espoused by the supporters of the vaccination program.

fearless winnowing of ideas to discover the truth? Not valued.

Free speech and open exchange of thoughts, ideas and opinions? Too dangerous.

And so on and so forth.
Anne Jividen likes this.

prevent it
#19 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 11:55 AM

And this is crassly off-topic @teacozy but where did you find your Avatar photo? I know someone who'd love a teacozy just like it and would love to track down, (or create in piecemeal fashion) a knitting or crochet pattern for it.

I've been meaning to ask this for about 2 years now.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor

#20 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
And this is crassly off-topic @teacozy but where did you find your Avatar photo? I know someone who'd love a teacozy just like it and would love to track down, (or create in piecemeal fashion) a knitting or crochet pattern for it.

I've been meaning to ask this for about 2 years now.
Actually, it is a pleasant change. I'd look into Ravelry for teacozy patterns
Turquesa likes this.

prevent it
#21 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 12:10 PM

There is something interesting about this.....

When someone in the public eye says something vaccine critical they are crucified by the pro-vax contingent. Katie Couric, Jenny McCarthy, Rob Snieder, etc, etc.
When someone who appears non-vax friendly says something pro-vaxxish (Dr. OZ, Mayim Bialik) most non-vaxxers just shrug and move on.

Anyone want to speculate as to why the above occurs?
Anne Jividen likes this.

#22 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
There is something interesting about this.....

When someone in the public eye says something vaccine critical they are crucified by the pro-vax contingent. Katie Couric, Jenny McCarthy, Rob Snieder, etc, etc.
When someone who appears non-vax friendly says something pro-vaxxish (Dr. OZ, Mayim Bialik) most non-vaxxers just shrug and move on.

Anyone want to speculate as to why the above occurs?
In my mind, that's easy.

The vaccine coercionist contingent has chosen to construct and believe a narrative that we look to celebrities for medical decision-making. So they freak out when celebrities say something vaccine-critical.

We don't really look to celebrities for medical decision-making. So we shrug and move on regardless.

#23 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Actually, it is a pleasant change. I'd look into Ravelry for teacozy patterns
I can't zoom in , bu the body of the teacozy looks knitted, and the flowers look crocheted. This is on-topic only in that I really should be doing more crocheting than vax forum patrolling.

#24 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
None of us who post on here are representative of the majority of parents.

We may lot like it, but many people are swayed by celebrity opinion.

That's why it matters. It shouldn't. I don't base any of my health choice son celebrity say so, but others do.
teacozy likes this.
#25 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Minor PSA:

Freedom of speech means the government cannot arrest you for what you say. It does not mean freedom from criticism of that speech, freedom from consequences (losing your job, etc), and it does not mean anyone has to give you a platform for that speech (interviews, etc).

#26 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the link to the teacozy, I think. It was a long time ago and I think I just found it off of google images.

Tell your friend to give etsy a shot, they have quite a few patterns.

https://crochethealingandraymond.wor...tude-tea-cozy/
Turquesa likes this.

#27 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post
None of us who post on here are representative of the majority of parents.

We may lot like it, but many people are swayed by celebrity opinion.

That's why it matters. It shouldn't. I don't base any of my health choice son celebrity say so, but others do.
This is insulting to thinking parents who are not members of MDC and who choose not to vaccinate. As we all know the majority of non-vaccinating parents are more educated and of a higher economic status, not the average watcher of daytime television. Then we have the children of the scientists of Los Alamos NM, where there are three-times the number of vaccine exemptions than the rest of the state. Are these people also basing their decision on whether to vaccinate or which vaccines they choose to have their children get on Jenny McCarthy or Dr Oz? "Oh, Dr Oz tweeted there is no connection with vaccines and autism, I better rethink my stance", said the rocket scientist.

#BeBrave
#28 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Minor PSA:

Freedom of speech means the government cannot arrest you for what you say. It does not mean freedom from criticism of that speech, freedom from consequences (losing your job, etc), and it does not mean anyone has to give you a platform for that speech (interviews, etc).
Malevolent and well-organized attacks on unpopular opinions go well beyond reasoned criticism of speech. Firing people for expressing unpopular opinions comes fairly close to destroying freedom of speech for many people.

I'll give you the platform point, but on the other hand, when people go to venues and try to convince them not to rent the space...that is also a bit over the top.

Do you really want to live in a world where unpopular opinions and minority views are crushed out of the conversation? It really gives the impression that the dominant group feels that they can only win by using dirty tactics, frankly.

Why so insecure?

prevent it
#29 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Minor PSA:

go ahead and believe that lie if you wish...Here in the USA, i've known several people harrassed, and arrested on false charges for speaking their minds. When they fought back the charges, things got worse for them.
Mirzam, Deborah and serenbat like this.
#30 of 70 Old 09-30-2015, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Quote:
Here is the link to the teacozy, I think. It was a long time ago and I think I just found it off of google images.

Tell your friend to give etsy a shot, they have quite a few patterns.

https://crochethealingandraymond.wor...tude-tea-cozy/
[removed]
Mirzam likes this.

Some magic is fiction, other is REAL magick!

I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.

Last edited by CricketVS; 01-22-2016 at 06:39 AM. Reason: personal accusation removed

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page