• 3 Post By kathymuggle
  • 1 Post By Anne Jividen
  • 2 Post By Deborah

#1 of 15 Old 03-01-2016, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Vaccines that shed

Quick question. A close friend likely just had her infant vaccinated and she may be taking pictures at my birth. Which do I need to watch out for shedding?
applejuice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 03-01-2016, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Nothing unless you're heavily immunocompromised.
mamabear0314 likes this.
#3 of 15 Old 03-01-2016, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Which what? Person? Disease?

My blanket answer tends toward: both and pertussis; can be carrier without being symptomatic, but this would be contingent on how recently your friend was vaccinated for pertussis.

Congratulations on your new arrival!!!!!!!!
applejuice likes this.

#4 of 15 Old 03-01-2016, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 3413 Post(s)
This nifty guide was posted on facebook.

Quote:
Diseases that the United States protects against by vaccination of children under 7 years old, and the potential for those vaccines to cause disease in other vulnerable people:

Hepatitis A — There are two formulations, both using inactivated (killed)organisms. Secondary transmission of the vaccine virus is impossible as the vaccines do not contain live organisms.http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/hepa.html

Hepatitis B —Secondary transmission of the vaccine virus is not possible: "HBV infection cannot result from use of the recombinant vaccine, since no potentially infectious viral DNA or complete viral particles are produced in the recombinant system." http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/hepb.html

Diphtheria —Secondary transmission from the vaccine is impossible, as it does not contain the bacillus Corynebacterium diphtheriae, but an inactivated toxin (toxoid) produced by the bacillus.http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4203.pdf

Tetanus — Secondary transmission from the vaccine is impossible, as it does not contain the bacillus Clostridium tetani, but an inactivated toxin (toxoid) produced by the bacillus. Note: Persons who survive tetanus are not immune, because so little of the potent toxin is required to cause the disease.http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4220.pdf

Pertussis — Secondary transmission of the disease is impossible, because it is an acellular vaccine, containing only fragments of the pertussis organism, and is therefore incapable of replicating.http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4212.pdf

Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) -- Secondary transmission of the disease is impossible, because the vaccine is made up of the exterior coating of the vaccine (polysaccharide) attached (onjugated) to a protein, to improve immune response.

Pneumococcal disease -- Streptococcus pneumoniae (also called pneumococcus) is a bacterium. There are adult and pediatric versions of vaccines that prevent pneumoccocal disease; secondary transmission from all formulations are impossible as the vaccines do not contain the organism but subunits of the organism. http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4213.pdf

Polio -- Caused by one of three serotypes of poliovirus. In the United States, only inactivated (killed) poliovirus vaccine, covering all 3 serotypes, is available for routine pediatric vaccination. Secondary transmission is impossible as the vaccines do not contain live organisms. Secondary transmission from the oral polio vaccine (again, not used in the US), is possible.http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4215...evaccines.aspx

Influenza — The disease is caused by the influenza virus, which has 3 subtypes (A, B, and C). In the US, two types of vaccine are available, an inactivated (killed) polyvalent vaccine administered by injection, and a live attenuated vaccine administered by nasal spray. Secondary transmission from the injectable formulation is impossible, as the virus is dead. There has been one recorded case of secondary transmission of the live attenuated vaccine.http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/flu.html

Measles —The US vaccine uses the live, further attenuated Edmonston-Enders strain. Secondary transmission of the vaccine virus has never been documented. http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4209.pdf

Mumps — The US vaccine uses the live, attenuated Jeryl Lynn strain. Secondary transmission of the vaccine virus has never been documented.http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/mumps.html

Rubella — The US vaccine uses the live, attenuated RA 27/3 rubella strain. Secondary transmission by children of the vaccine virus has never been documented; it is possible that a lactating vaccinee could, very rarely, transmit the virus via breastmilk to a newborn infant.http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/rubella.html

Varicella - For the pediatric vaccine formulation, the US uses the live attenuated Oka strain. "Available data suggest that transmission of varicella vaccine virus is a rare event. Instances of suspected secondary transmission of vaccine virus have been reported, but in few instances has the secondary clinical illness been shown to be caused by vaccine virus. Several cases of suspected secondary transmission have been determined to have been caused by wild varicella virus. In studies of household contacts, several instances of asymptomatic seroconversion have been observed. It appears that transmission occurs mainly, and perhaps only, when the vaccinee develops a rash. If a vaccinated child develops a rash, it is recommended that close contact with persons who do not have evidence of varicella immunity and who are at high risk of complications of varicella, such as immunocompromised persons, be avoided until the rash has resolved."http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/varicella.html

Rotavirus — Yes, vaccine-strain virus has been found in stool of vaccinated infants. "Although rotavirus is shed in the feces of vaccinated infants transmission of vaccine virus has not been documented. Infants living in households with persons who have or are suspected of having an immunodeficiency disorder or impaired immune status can be vaccinated. ACIP believes that the indirect protection of the immunocompromised household member provided by vaccinating the infant in the household, and thereby preventing wild-type rotavirus disease, outweighs the small risk for transmitting vaccine virus to the immunocompromised household member."http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/rota.html

Additional reading: Understanding Vaccines: What They Are, How They Workhttp://www.niaid.nih.gov/.../vaccines/documents/undvacc.pdf
Nemi27 likes this.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

I'm a mom to two great kids and a wife to an amazing husband
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm also proudly #teamvax
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by teacozy; 03-01-2016 at 01:09 PM.
#5 of 15 Old 03-01-2016, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Unlike popular myth, certain medications are effected by vaccine shedding and one does not need be immuncompromised to be effected. Medications for skin condition have that stated in their I donation insert.

If you are not in any meds that have live vaccine cautions, the other concerns IMO would be the desire to be around someone who has just been in a germ filled medical office around sick children. Doesn't matter IMO if the child receiving the vaccine was suck or not, germ filled environments tend to come along home!

The "rash" so many get after MMR I would not want around me, but that clearly is a choice others can make. Same goes for the nose / flu vaccine, who knows how many are getting that this time of year but apparently some still are. I would not want that near a newborn either.

Same goes for those who have had the WC vaccine and assume the cough is nothing, another I would not want around a newborn. That "light" WC was a myth that now has been busted.

Good luck & I would ask lots if questions of those you want near.
applejuice and Anne Jividen like this.
#6 of 15 Old 03-01-2016, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismewilde View Post
Quick question. A close friend likely just had her infant vaccinated and she may be taking pictures at my birth. Which do I need to watch out for shedding?
Unless the infant will actually be present at your birth I wouldn't be concerned about shedding. I assume if she was symptomatic for a cold or virus she wouldn't attend otherwise good hand washing when she arrives would probably be sufficient.
Anne Jividen and Nemi27 like this.
#7 of 15 Old 03-01-2016, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
If it is a homebirth, do not let anyone like that near you.

However, if it is a hospital birth there are germs there that are found no where else on Earth. All those doctors, nurses, other attendants, and the previous occupant of your labor room and the delivery room probably are full of some kind of vaccine, so what are you worried about?
Nazsmum, Anne Jividen and Nemi27 like this.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are gonna get - eczema, allergies, diabetes, petit/gran mal seizures, ADEM, SPD, GBS, TPI, POTS, JRA, RA, JPA, CFS, SLE, fibromyalgia, encephalitis, neurological damage, coma, or death."

~paraphrased from "Forrest Gump"~

#8 of 15 Old 03-01-2016, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

It will be a home birth. My friend may be there to photograph the labor and it is possible her child will also be there at various times. Is this an all around bad idea?
applejuice and Anne Jividen like this.
#9 of 15 Old 03-01-2016, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismewilde View Post
It will be a home birth. My friend may be there to photograph the labor and it is possible her child will also be there at various times. Is this an all around bad idea?
I would want a photographer that did not need to watch a child at the same time, vaccine & germs aside.

Giving birth doesn't always go by the clock!

Good luck!!
#10 of 15 Old 03-01-2016, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
I don't typically worry about shedding - but a birth situation might give me pause.

Vaccines that would concern me:

MMR, V (or MMRV) rotavirus, and flu (live vaccine - the nasal spray)

Rotavirus would probably concerns me the most...or flu.

If you have the sort of relationship where you can bring this up, I would straight up ask what were the last vaccines she had and when...and take it from there. I do not know (off the top of my head) how long the vaccines could shed after vaccine day...that would be something to look into.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#11 of 15 Old 03-01-2016, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
I don't typically worry about shedding - but a birth situation might give me pause.

Vaccines that would concern me:

MMR, V (or MMRV) rotavirus, and flu (live vaccine - the nasal spray)

Rotavirus would probably concerns me the most...or flu.

If you have the sort of relationship where you can bring this up, I would straight up ask what were the last vaccines she had and when...and take it from there. I do not know (off the top of my head) how long the vaccines could shed after vaccine day...that would be something to look into.
Really? not the DPT, or DTaP, or DaPT?

these vaccines shed w/o symptoms, is what i think i understand? and thx for Your answer!!!!
applejuice likes this.
#12 of 15 Old 03-01-2016, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 323 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Jividen View Post
Really? not the DPT, or DTaP, or DaPT?

these vaccines shed w/o symptoms, is what i think i understand? and thx for Your answer!!!!
No, the vaccines don't shed. The problems with the vaccine is that they don't provide a type of immunity that prevents carriage or transmission of the bacteria. Therefore, a vaccinated person can, if exposed to pertussis, carry around the bacteria for weeks. If they sneeze or cough they can share it.

Mild or atypical illness can also occur, making it even more likely that the bacteria will be spread and that the problem will not be diagnosed.

Bacterial vaccines are not live except for the TB vaccine, which is not used in the US.
applejuice and Nemi27 like this.

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
(if the government still allows you to say no...) #teamvaxchoice
#13 of 15 Old 03-01-2016, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! That is very helpful!
#14 of 15 Old 03-01-2016, 07:57 PM

Yellow Fever Vaccine is a live virus vaccine, but only given to those traveling to East Africa.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are gonna get - eczema, allergies, diabetes, petit/gran mal seizures, ADEM, SPD, GBS, TPI, POTS, JRA, RA, JPA, CFS, SLE, fibromyalgia, encephalitis, neurological damage, coma, or death."

#15 of 15 Old 06-17-2016, 08:29 PM

Hope your birth went well.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page