2 month vaccinations...baby doesn't feel good... :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 06-10-2004, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We decided to go ahead with ds's immunizations. For those of you who have vaccinated your babys (I assume there are some who have?), if your baby was fussy and/or tired, how long did it last. Ds was vaccinated on Monday and its Thursday and hes still fussy. This is a baby that goes all day with out fussing. I feel so bad for him. He sleeping a whole lot during the day and his appetite wasn't much yesterday, a little better today.

Anyone with a similar experience?

Amy

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 06-10-2004, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I really think you should ask your pediatrician how long is normal after the first series of vaccinations.

I did not vaccinate my children, but I do know my daughter as an infant would regress a bit after being sick for a while, but she would rebound with a bounce when she was feeling better.

Your doctor, who gives vaccinations all day long, everyday, should be apprised of this change in your baby's behavior. And maybe you should journal it for a while.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#3 of 22 Old 06-10-2004, 10:02 PM

What vaccines did he get? Have you read the inserts to the ones he did get? It is not uncommon for a child to be fussy,have a change in sleeping/eating/bowels,fever,crying,lump/redness at injection site.
It should resolve on its own.You can try homeopathics/herbs to quicken this recovery.Keep a detailed history of your child's health/behavior after vaccines(for atleast a month).I say a month because I think I read over at the national vaccine injury compensation page that some of the vaccines can have injuries that show up 0-30 days.Ofcourse reactions can show up on day 31,but your are out of luck for getting compensated if that happens.
Anyway,there are some suggestions in the Smart Medicine book(Janet Zand et al) under the section Immunization related problems.
The page used to be on line at http://www.healthy.net in the childrens section.
If you feel like reporting anything to Vaers you can do so online.The link used to be http://www.vaers.org

Take care and speedy recovery for your little one.Remember the whole idea behind vaccines is to expose them to the disease,and hope they only get a little sick in the process of trying to create artificial immunity. Some kids handle the shots better than others.
#4 of 22 Old 06-10-2004, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

I feel so horrible for vaccinating him It was just one of those things that I didn't want to argue about and it was also one of those scary, what if he got something like minengitis (sp) and I'd blame myself for ever. Poor excuse I'm sure. I'm so sad for him. I feel bad that his pure little body has that nastiness pulsing through his veins. Ugh. I feel bad :

Oh, he got Hib, Dpt (or what ever its called these days), polio, Hep B...hmmm...I'm missing one. I did read the sheets that were given to me about the immunizations. They said these mild symptoms may last 2-3 days. This is day 4 if you count the day of the vax.

Thanks for the info.

Amy

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#5 of 22 Old 06-10-2004, 10:26 PM

Probably:
HIB,Prevnar,IPV,DTaP,and HepB.

If I had...7 diseases(and each vaccine has a few strains in it) I would be fussy too. You did what you felt was best. He will probably be fine. Most kids recover/get back to normal.
Perhaps,if you decide to continue, you might consider giving just one vaccine at a time. It is really hard to tell what is causing a problem given all the vaccine ingredients. Most vaccine inserts are online(or in a PDR book).I am sure you have the brand name/lot number list,so you can just do a search via http://www.google.com
Doctors usually blow off vaccine reactions,especially mild ones like your sons,but it is worth mentioning so it is noted in his file.Get a copy of the medical file later on for your home records.

I have all the inserts printed out,but you can get them from your doctor as well for your child's home medical file. They contain ingredient listings as well as acknowledged vaccine reactions.
Take care!
#6 of 22 Old 06-10-2004, 10:28 PM

Here is that page I mentioned:http://www.healthy.net/scr/Article.asp?Id=1579
#7 of 22 Old 06-10-2004, 11:07 PM

You might want to do more research before vaccinating more. Don't forget you can put it off for a long time. You do not have to take your child in to the doctors at any specific time. And once you vaccinate the drugs are always in his body. Research! Find out if that's what you really want to risk. There are risk involved with vaccinations. Big risks. And he may react a little worse with each vaccine. Some children are 'high risk' like my grandson, because there are allergies and rheumatism in the family on both sides. That makes him more vulnerable to get an autoimmune disease from vaccines.

Tell us which childhood disease frightens you and will show you how to learn the facts about it, not the scare tactics your doctor may use. When you learn about the disease, how to take care of a child and the truth about it, it doesn't seem so frightening. And it gives you confidence. You will be the healer, while your doctor is only a drug distributor. And vaccines are drugs.

Vaccinations?

Six Reasons to question Vaccination
#8 of 22 Old 06-11-2004, 02:12 AM

Prevnar made my dd feel that way, she got that one separatly since they were out when she was supposed to get it so I know it was that one. Doc told me it was normal, I wish I hadn't listened. It has soy in it btw, we later found out she is allergic to soy. We no longer vax after she had a more serious reaction.

s for you and your baby. I'm sorry he is fussy and grumpy. When you know better you do better, don't beat yourself up too much.
#9 of 22 Old 06-11-2004, 10:05 AM

I hope you don't feel too bad. I would call your ped and see what is 'normal' and how long it takes to go away. Anything out of the norm needs to be addressed by a DR (not that it always does any good, our DR was a twit). AJ's reaction lasted about 2.5 wks, but he was screaming at the top of his lungs, not sleepy like your baby. I hope you both feel better soon!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#10 of 22 Old 06-11-2004, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all of your help and support. Manu is still testy and sleepy today. I am really questioning now taking him back for his second round. I will really have to have some good information though because this is one thing that dh will take some convincing. Vaccination is a scary thing, but so is not vaxing. I always had a nasty feeling about it but it was one of those things that, like most people I'm sure, I think "well, I was vaccinated and so was everyone I know and there's nothing wrong with us.". Well, I was also formula fed and sure I turned out ok but I feel strongly about human milk for my son.
Its also a very overwhelming subject, vaxing is. So much info, such a big decision.

I will be back here for sure to ask a few questions and get some support in the future. I will be rethinking this very seriously.

One more thing...
I would still like to take my son in for his scheduled checkups. Do most ped's harrass you if you want to decline or put off vaccinations? I'm sure it depends on the individual.

Thanks again,
Amy

#11 of 22 Old 06-11-2004, 12:26 PM

Amy: we selectively vaxed our dd and now decided to not vax our son at all, but I agree with you, it is so scary (both ways) something that really helped me make up my mind (and I think I finally made up my mind this week, actually) was going to Dr. Jay Gordon's website. I love what he says about vaccinations, and how they are not necessarily bad (at least IMO vaxes are useful when it comes to preventing certain deseases) but the age thing.. that is the problem. They do too many at once and the reactions to the vaccines are usually under reported and sometimes even ignored by doctors. Some doctors will go as far as telling you to leave their practice if you are not willing to vax, that happened to me and I had to switch...

I hope this helps, I a big for you, I know it's so hard to decide which way to go!
#12 of 22 Old 06-11-2004, 05:02 PM

To be quite honest with you, we did the DTaP at 9 months and were planning on going back in a couple weeks for the HIB. However, ds was so miserable after having the DTaP and got up every hour all night, I just never felt like taking him back for any more shots. I did my research into the diseases and their risks, and I decided I'd rather take a chance that my child will get whooping cough (or something else) than to go through the vaccine reactions again, even if they are "normal." With my puppies, I always thought it was great that the vax slowed them down for a day or two, but I have no desire to intentionally do something that I know will make my kid cranky.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#13 of 22 Old 06-11-2004, 05:32 PM

I'm just dipping in here quick because I saw your post.

My son, now 7 months, was grumpy and fussy for 2-3 weeks after his 2 month vaxes. Now, to be fair, he's pretty grumpy in general, but his 2 month vaxes really seemed to hit him hard. As a result, I told them at his 4 month visit that I was delaying his vaxes until 6 months. I got no argument. I just said he's been such a fussy baby (colic, thrush, reflux, jaundice) and his 2 month shots set him off again, and frankly I'm tired of listening to him cry.

I did get his 4 month shots at his 6 month visit, and wish I hadn't now. He had tonisillitis the week before and was on antibiotics and still they did give him the shots. Well the VERY next day he started getting a terrible diaper rash, which I tried to combat with every paste and powder known to mankind. Finally, after a week, I took him back in and he had a urinary tract infection and ended up in the hospital on IV antibiotics for 3 days! I really really wish I had waited until he was well completely from the tonsillitis to get his vaxes. I don't KNOW that the vaxes had anything to do with his UTI. But I suspect that he just got overwhelmed with the tonsillitis and vaxes, and his body had nothing left to fight the UTI with.

Full disclosure: I'm not anti-vax. I'm vaccination leery. I plan to get my son vaxed, but at my discretion, not just because I'm told to.
#14 of 22 Old 06-11-2004, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe
I am really questioning now taking him back for his second round. I will really have to have some good information though because this is one thing that dh will take some convincing. Vaccination is a scary thing, but so is not vaxing. I think "well, I was vaccinated and so was everyone I know and there's nothing wrong with us.".
If you are over the age of 20 you had a LOT LESS vaccines than they are trying to inject into your child. Check your vax record. MMR wasn't done 20 yrs ago nor was heb B nor Hib and many that they have added just in that time frame. You probably got a total of 9 - 15 vaccines. Now children get upward of 32. That's a lot more heavy metals injected into the blood stream.

Quote:
I would still like to take my son in for his scheduled checkups. Do most ped's harrass you if you want to decline or put off vaccinations? I'm sure it depends on the individual.
Yes, it is very individual. But vaccines are a VERY LUCRATIVE business and if you don't vaccinate you will soon figure out that the child is much healthier and doesn't need a doctor. And that is not good for the doctor's business.

Also some states get additional tax refunds for vaccinating a certain percent of children. I am sure the money or benefits 'trickle down' to the ped's office who vaccinates the most children.

It is very political. And whenever you go, the ped will tell you which vaccine he feels is absolutely essential for the health of your child. And it will never be one that he has already been given. (Of course there are exceptions.)

Family practitioners don't have the benefits that come to pediatricians from vaccines and do not push them. So, it might be an idea. Lots of moms here take their children to a family doctor.

Reasons to NOT Vaccinate

Autoimmune linked to vax
#15 of 22 Old 06-11-2004, 06:07 PM

Quote:
MMR wasn't done 20 yrs ago
Just wanted to clarify. MMR as a combination of the three shots was not given, but seperate shots for each were available when I was small. I got the Measles and the Ruebella shots when I was 12 months, and then the Mumps one when I was 15 months.This was in 1975,

I got the MMR (combined as 3) in 1992, but I'm not sure when it became combined. I do remember it was at a public health clinic.

Not picking on you, Gitti, I just don't want someone to pick this up and run with it and then say, you people are inaccurate.

#16 of 22 Old 06-11-2004, 06:13 PM

Amy, I'm sorry your baby is still a little fussy.

I used to do daycare, and I remember two of the boys I had, whenever they got those 4-5 shots at a time, they slept all day for a couple of days and were crabby and out of sorts for at least a week.

If you don't want to do shots, but don't want to go in there with, I'm not doing any more shots, now check my son! type of conversation, you can say, you're delaying until you do more research. Or you're delaying because he has a cold, or whatever.

Leaving the door slightly open, even if you never intend to push it all the way, is taken much better than the slam of no vaxes, ever.

Happy reading and reasearching!
#17 of 22 Old 06-11-2004, 06:26 PM

DH was very adamant about shots too, but once he saw how strongly I felt about it and I told him about all the research I'd done, he gave in. You should hear him now, he can go on and on about vaxes w/ the best of him. I'm still working on other things, but that was a HUGE start! Hey, I was formula fed and vaxed too and I suppose I'm all right. However, I too feel very strongly about human milk and obviously our babies weren't all right after their shots, so everyone is different. Some peds will harrass you unfortunately, but there are a ton of DRs out there. Our first DR refused to see us after we stopped vaxing. Oh well! We have a great new pro-vax DR who never says a word about it. She has quite a few non-vaxing patients and resepects them for their choices. Good luck!

#18 of 22 Old 06-11-2004, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison74
Just wanted to clarify. MMR as a combination of the three shots was not given, but seperate shots for each were available when I was small. I got the Measles and the Ruebella shots when I was 12 months, and then the Mumps one when I was 15 months.This was in 1975....I got the MMR (combined as 3) in 1992, but I'm not sure when it became combined. I do remember it was at a public health clinic.
...make that 30some years ago. Wow time does fly! And I'm getting

old. : MMR 1971...

I know my own kids had 9 vax each. I should have questioned those but was too naive back then.

Anyway, in case anyone wants to know exactly what vax was available when, here is a link. I should have checked it myself.

When vaccine was introduced
#19 of 22 Old 06-11-2004, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti
Family practitioners don't have the benefits that come to pediatricians from vaccines and do not push them.
My family doctor does not push vaccines, but I thought that was just his personality. What are the benefits that pediatricians get from pushing vaccines that family doctors don't?

--Paula
#20 of 22 Old 06-11-2004, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe
I feel so horrible for vaccinating him It was just one of those things that I didn't want to argue about...

Oh, he got Hib, Dpt (or what ever its called these days), polio, Hep B...hmmm...I'm missing one.
I know what you mean about not wanting to argue. My ex was a very traditional, small-town guy who had never heard of not vaccinating children, and his point of view was just confirmed when we went to the Dr. I mean, all of these well-meaning, intelligent, educated people insisted that the standard is the only way, b/c that's what they were taught in school... I was outnumbered and felt a little belittled. I ended up compromising and putting Olivia on a much slower vaccination schedule. Instead of getting them all in by age 2 we are just going to make sure she has what will be required when she starts school... AND ONLY ONE AT A TIME!
But last month she went in for her DPT shot and the nurse said they are now combining it with HEP B. I was steamed... now she was getting 4 at once! She was lethargic and out-of-it all week long, and this was nearly a month ago and she STILL has the red spot and lump. I think you just have to remember, no matter how lightly the medical profession has come to take it in mere decades, that you are injecting your child with fatal diseases. Do what your heart tells you to do, and keep a vigil over your children after they get their shots. Keep track of what reactions they have to which diseases and act appropriately. Depending on the severity of the actual disease there may actually be some you might skip, and others you might just delay or give alone.
#21 of 22 Old 06-11-2004, 11:52 PM

I always hear that family practitioners don't push vaxes as much as peds. In our case that is totally opposite! Our FP refused to see us anymore and our ped is great and has several non-vaxing families. How odd.

#22 of 22 Old 06-12-2004, 10:26 AM

I have had similar experiences with a FP. The 2 peds my kids have seen are pro-vax,but they never even ASKED why we do not vaccinate.With the first ped I recall discussing vaccines when dd was around 13mo,and we were in agreement that a few were unnecessary.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page