• 2 Post By SchoolmarmDE
  • 2 Post By Deborah
  • 2 Post By Turquesa
  • 1 Post By samaxtics

#1 of 13 Old 03-26-2017, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Is There a Need for School Shaming Laws?

A woman I know who runs a Waldorf school is being publicly harassed and shamed on Facebook for her school's exemption rate, which is higher than most schools in the state. (I'm withholding details for anonymity's sake). This information is brandished readily due to a recently passed law in the state requiring publicly posted school vaccination rates.

Proponents of these laws claim that it's all about transparency and--get this--"informed consent." (I note the irony because they are often the same people who don't want to see exemptions, i.e. exercised informed consent and refusal).

But is this information really opaque? In states without school shaming laws, could those handful of concerned parents in their state's vax-compliance groups simply call the school or health department to get this information?

Or is this data currently kept secret from the public? If it is, would it work to have a bill simply requiring that the information be available by individual request, via a simple phone call or email? Or is there some other agenda being fulfilled by demanding the public posting?
Deborah likes this.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud member of #teamvaxchoice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 03-26-2017, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
A woman I know who runs a Waldorf school is being publicly harassed and shamed on Facebook for her school's exemption rate, which is higher than most schools in the state. (I'm withholding details for anonymity's sake). This information is brandished readily due to a recently passed law in the state requiring publicly posted school vaccination rates.

Proponents of these laws claim that it's all about transparency and--get this--"informed consent." (I note the irony because they are often the same people who don't want to see exemptions, i.e. exercised informed consent and refusal).

But is this information really opaque? In states without school shaming laws, could those handful of concerned parents in their state's vax-compliance groups simply call the school or health department to get this information?

Or is this data currently kept secret from the public? If it is, would it work to have a bill simply requiring that the information be available by individual request, via a simple phone call or email? Or is there some other agenda being fulfilled by demanding the public posting?
I think it is mainly about scaremongering. For private schools, it might undermine enrollment, which could lead to financial disaster.
applejuice likes this.

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
(if the government still allows you to say no...) #teamvaxchoice
#3 of 13 Old 03-27-2017, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
I am not sure there should be laws forcing schools to divulge immunizations rates. I will have to think about that.

When the school is small, it could be a breach of privacy. You could figure out who was unimmunised - or at least you would have strong suspicions.

I tend to think the status quo is good enough: most people know some school has low vaccination reputations. If this upsets you, do not use them.

I think the flu and pertussis likely circulate in the same numbers in schools with lows vax versus high vax. I think chicken pox and measles likely do circulate more among the unvaxxed, but 1: if you cannot catch the chicken pox, you probably do not belong in school and 2: measles is still incredibly rare. There is an average of 100 cases per year or so in the USA, and many are in children too young to be vaccinated or in adults. This is not a huge risk at schools.

In an ideal world, I would be perfectly happy to divulge schools immunisation rates to parents. Shrug. I don't think picking a school due to immunisation rates is logical, but I think parents have every right to their follies. The problem is that the environment is so hostile to non-vaxxers, that divulging this information just feeds a mob mentality, and that might be worse than person x not knowing if sunshine school has a high or low vax rate. Moreover, this sort of mob mentality allows vaccines mandate laws to pass....
Deborah and mama24-7 like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 2 teens and one young adult.

#4 of 13 Old 03-27-2017, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Heck I don't agree with the divulgence of peoples and corporations political contributions or voting record. I'm certainly not for divulging exemption rates of schools. Nor am I for public shaming of any type. I'd rather see people informed and given the freedom to make their own choices.
Deborah, mama24-7 and samaxtics like this.
#5 of 13 Old 03-27-2017, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Much of the information available so readily online has always been available to the public.

That's why I'm wondering if school-based vaccination rates have always been just a phone call away.

Ironically, many years ago, I called the health department to get hospital-based cesarean rates. They told me that--gee, sorry---disclosing such information could be a violation of medical privacy.
Deborah likes this.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor

#6 of 13 Old 03-27-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Much of the information available so readily online has always been available to the public.

That's why I'm wondering if school-based vaccination rates have always been just a phone call away.

Ironically, many years ago, I called the health department to get hospital-based cesarean rates. They told me that--gee, sorry---disclosing such information could be a violation of medical privacy.
Medical institutions have really exploited every screen they can find to hide problems from their customers.

Pharmaceutical companies use product confidentiality stuff to hide dangers from the public. I bet pesticide manufacturers do the same thing, come to think of it.

The nasty double standard strikes again.
applejuice and mama24-7 like this.

prevent it
#7 of 13 Old 03-29-2017, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Quote:

The agenda is placing vaccine critical environments at risk by permitting mob targeting.

Look at other places who "doxx". "Men's rights" groups do it. Clinic bombers do it. Trans activists do it, and people who target trans do it. The idea is always to intimidate someone by making them vulnerable to crazy people who disagree with them.

Oh, it will be very sad, if someone stakes a house pet's corpse out on the lawn of a family, because they work somewhere "not enough" people vax. But that is the risk you take, in a "free society", when you disagree with bullies.
applejuice and Deborah like this.

Last edited by SchoolmarmDE; 03-29-2017 at 06:48 AM.
#8 of 13 Old 03-31-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Heck I don't agree with the divulgence of peoples and corporations political contributions or voting record. I'm certainly not for divulging exemption rates of schools. Nor am I for public shaming of any type. I'd rather see people informed and given the freedom to make their own choices.
Freedom to choose is precisely what the vaccine enthusiasts want to destroy.

They work in a lot of different ways. Shaming. Harassing. Legislation. Propaganda. Outright lying. Fake manipulation of public opinion by pretending to be grass-roots vaccine supporters when they are something else entirely. Any means will do if it supports their goal of getting vaccine compliance.
applejuice and samaxtics like this.

prevent it
#9 of 13 Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

I've just learned that there's a pending school shaming law in Texas.

There's also a government-sponsored website that gives parents the same information. Nice, right? https://www.dshs.texas.gov/immunize/...nth-grade.aspx

Vaccine hysteria in Texas makes no sense to me. The map makes it clear that the overwhelming majority of Texans are upright, vax-compliant citizens.
applejuice and Deborah like this.

#10 of 13 Old 04-20-2017, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Quote:
Vaccine hysteria in Texas makes no sense to me. The map makes it clear that the overwhelming majority of Texans are upright, vax-compliant citizens.
Andy Wakefield and Polly Tommey are Texans. Maybe this is the reason for the vaccine compliance hysteria?
Deborah likes this.
#11 of 13 Old 04-20-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics View Post
Andy Wakefield and Polly Tommey are Texans. Maybe this is the reason for the vaccine compliance hysteria?
I think that big states give a lot of bang for the buck. California was worth the huge cost of shoving through SB 277 and Texas would be another big win.

In terms of other states, I think the vaccine pushers try to find a "hero" to keep pounding away.

prevent it
#12 of 13 Old 04-21-2017, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics View Post
I think it's more along the lines of what @Deborah was saying, and I talked about it a bit here.
Help Me Crunch Some Numbers, Please (See Post 18, especially).

Texas has an historic reputation for anti-immigrant sentiments against the Mexicans. Now, with Tomney and Wakefield there, some may demand that we BUILD THE WALL to keep the Brits out.

Last edited by Turquesa; 04-21-2017 at 10:07 AM.
#13 of 13 Old 04-21-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I think it's more along the lines of what @Deborah was saying, and I talked about it a bit here.
Help Me Crunch Some Numbers, Please (See Post 18, especially).

Texas has an historic reputation for anti-immigrant sentiments against the Mexicans. Now, with Tomney and Wakefield there, some may demand that we BUILD THE WALL to keep the Brits out.
I had forgotten about that thread! Thanks.

prevent it

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page