Have you ever asked for a "thermasol free" vaccine option - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 07-21-2004, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
for your child at your pediatricians office? Or have you asked to read the ingrediants of the vials to be used in search of thermasol?

I'm dreading addressing this with our doc (she already thinks I'm a bit odd)... would love to hear how others have approached the question and how the question was met by the proffesionals.

Thanks
Kimberley
#2 of 31 Old 07-21-2004, 02:19 PM

I asked once for the vaccine insert for one shot and was told they give info when the shot is given. I told them I had that and I wanted the insert to see what was in it etc. I was told she would find one and call me back, right, like that happened. There were other reasons, but we never saw that DR again. Your best bet is to do research on your own and then ask the DR if you need to to maybe see if his info lines up w/ yours. Check out http://www.*********/vaccines/pack.html for actual package inserts from the vaxes. I believe by law they have to give the inserts if you ask, but from my story you can see it's not always done. Good luck.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#3 of 31 Old 07-21-2004, 02:35 PM

I have a doctor who will give vacines on a delayed schedual so that they are one at a time. The EPA and FDA recommend that your child only recieve 1 mcg of mercury a day. And thimerisol contains this per individual dose. So, do not give more than one at a time. Also, you can request individual doses, that come in a single dose vial and are preservative free. The last time I had asked for the preservative free individual doses, my doctor said she was having a hard time getting them because the manufacturers aren't making them in large quantities. That would be sort of admitting that there is a problem with the mercury.

Also, your child will not have the protection of a blood brain barrier until after 3 years of age. If you want to vaccinate, consider waiting until then when her body can have some of it's own built in defense mechanisms help her defend herself from the harmful parts of the vaccination.

warmly, Michelle
#4 of 31 Old 07-21-2004, 08:22 PM

Our children's pedi actually offered thimerosol free vaccines to us, but we explained that it was other additives that concerned us as much as mercury. The look on the nurse's face when we asked her for an antibiotic, aluminum, formalin free vaccine was priceless.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#5 of 31 Old 07-22-2004, 12:31 AM

I agree with Sasha, most of the vaccines contain aluminum(a carcinogen) and formaldehyde(as a preservative!). I mean who the hell thinks it is okay to put this stuff in vaccines? The insert for Prevnar states that it contains all three additives in the first paragraph. I mean how can they be so blatant about these things! Formaldehyde in a vaccination for our newborns! There really is a lot more to it that the thimersol.
sandra
#6 of 31 Old 07-22-2004, 12:45 AM

the ingredient lists i looked up myself.

about the thimerosal, i asked him directly.... and he told me that he had chosen to go with all thimerosal-free vaccines months ago.
#7 of 31 Old 07-26-2005, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter is 2 1/2 and we live on a farm. She is Vac free so far but I'm concerned about Tetanus. Oue health dep says the DT shot does not have Thermasol in it but something else.. Depaxol maybe? I don't know.
What is safe?? Well more what has the least amount of mercury??
If I had a choice I wouldn't get her any vaccines since I'll be homeschooling and I also don't want an autistic child, but the risk of tetanus scares me.

E & K (13yrs) and our flock of 6!

"Hey little one, why don't you go get cleaned up, you look like a country bumkin."
"Mum, I am a country bumkin"
#8 of 31 Old 07-26-2005, 10:10 PM

Aluminum is a carcinogen?
#9 of 31 Old 07-26-2005, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yes.

Most health food advocates will tell you to toss any and all aluminum cookware in your kitchen before you do any kind of healthful change over.

I took a course in Macrobiotics before and this was the first thing I was instructed to do, however since I had been into the health thing for as a way of life for all of my life, this was not a concern.

Aluminum is also in the leavening of baked goods, deodorants, and toothpaste.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#10 of 31 Old 07-26-2005, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katri'smama
My daughter is 2 1/2 and we live on a farm. She is Vac free so far but I'm concerned about Tetanus. Oue health dep says the DT shot does not have Thermasol in it but something else.. Depaxol maybe? I don't know.
What is safe?? Well more what has the least amount of mercury??
If I had a choice I wouldn't get her any vaccines since I'll be homeschooling and I also don't want an autistic child, but the risk of tetanus scares me.
You are in good company. Tetanus was the very last vaccine that Dr. Robert Mendelsohn "lost faith" in as a priest of the religion of Modern Medicine. My Father, as a Chiropractor, gave up on tetanus early in the 1960s...before that, he would advise people to get it as prophylaxis after the fact, not before.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#11 of 31 Old 07-26-2005, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klothos
the ingredient lists i looked up myself.

about the thimerosal, i asked him directly.... and he told me that he had chosen to go with all thimerosal-free vaccines months ago.
Doctors were supposed to do that years ago for most childhood vaxes.

#12 of 31 Old 07-26-2005, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80
I asked once for the vaccine insert for one shot and was told they give info when the shot is given. I told them I had that and I wanted the insert to see what was in it etc. I was told she would find one and call me back, right, like that happened. There were other reasons, but we never saw that DR again. Your best bet is to do research on your own and then ask the DR if you need to to maybe see if his info lines up w/ yours. Check out http://www.*********/vaccines/pack.html for actual package inserts from the vaxes. I believe by law they have to give the inserts if you ask, but from my story you can see it's not always done. Good luck.
Yes, by Federal Law you are supposed to be able to give informed consent to any procedure or drugs or injections you are given.

WTF? She was going to let you see the package insert with all of the important information AFTER she gave the shot? That is not right! :

#13 of 31 Old 07-26-2005, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edamommy
for your child at your pediatricians office? Or have you asked to read the ingrediants of the vials to be used in search of thermasol?

I'm dreading addressing this with our doc (she already thinks I'm a bit odd)... would love to hear how others have approached the question and how the question was met by the profesionals.

Thanks
Kimberley
FYI, all vaccinations contain thimerasol as an ingredient to preserve it; today they simply contain less.

If your doctor thinks you are odd, get another one. You hire the doctor as a health consultant for your child. As such, you should treated with respect, not looked at as some kind of nut. A doctor is someone you can work with, not someone who laughs at you or disregards your opinions.

JMHO.

#14 of 31 Old 07-26-2005, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katri'smama
Our health dep says the DT shot does not have Thermasol in it but something else.
There are two versions of the DT shot. The multi dose not only contains thimerosal, but thimerosal in its "full-strength" amount of 25 micrograms!!!

You can get a single dose DT shot which is considered thimerosal free - but anyone giving their child the DT shot, should look at the vial on the counter to make sure it's a single dose vial. There will be trace amounts of thimerosal in this version however. The manufacturer is able to claim it's thimerosal free because the amounts are "under the radar", so to speak.
#15 of 31 Old 08-02-2005, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice
FYI, all vaccinations contain thimerasol as an ingredient to preserve it; today they simply contain less.

If your doctor thinks you are odd, get another one. You hire the doctor as a health consultant for your child. As such, you should treated with respect, not looked at as some kind of nut. A doctor is someone you can work with, not someone who laughs at you or disregards your opinions.

JMHO.
According to Johns Hopkins that's not necessarily true.

http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/thi-table.htm

EDD July 21, 2011!
#16 of 31 Old 08-02-2005, 12:04 PM

That's the amount they admit to. Recently there was a study done to test these supposedly thermerisol free vax. The ones tested were found to be FAR from free of thermerisol.

-Angela
#17 of 31 Old 08-02-2005, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
That's the amount they admit to. Recently there was a study done to test these supposedly thermerisol free vax. The ones tested were found to be FAR from free of thermerisol.

-Angela
Do you have a link to that study or know who did it? Because if that's true, that leaves manufacturers open to gigantic litigation.

EDD July 21, 2011!
#18 of 31 Old 08-02-2005, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashrob123
Because if that's true, that leaves manufacturers open to gigantic litigation.
They wouldn't be open to what I would call "gigantic" litigation - maybe false advertising and get a fine from the FDA.

It's not like it's illegal to produce vaccines with thimerosal in it. If that were the case, then I could see the potential for "gigantic litigation."
#19 of 31 Old 08-02-2005, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
They wouldn't be open to what I would call "gigantic" litigation - maybe false advertising and get a fine from the FDA.

It's not like it's illegal to produce vaccines with thimerosal in it. If that were the case, then I could see the potential for "gigantic litigation."
It is gigantic if they say it's thimerosal free, it isn't and something happens to a baby. Especially if it happens to someone who has found out about vax and decided to vax only if it was free of mercury.

EDD July 21, 2011!
#20 of 31 Old 08-02-2005, 04:57 PM

This is the source for the information that even allegedly mercury-free vaccines are not, in fact, free of mercury:

http://www.hapihealth.com/vaccine/vaxtest.html

The front page of mothering.com reported on this a few months ago as well.
#21 of 31 Old 08-02-2005, 05:08 PM

Quote:
It is gigantic if they say it's thimerosal free, it isn't and something happens to a baby. Especially if it happens to someone who has found out about vax and decided to vax only if it was free of mercury.

No, actually it's not - in a legal sense.

My kid, along with thousands of others, received over 100 micrograms of mercury by the time they were six months old and developed autism even though pharma was aware of the exceeded EPA limits. Try suing for that and see where it gets you - trust me, I am in the process of doing it.

Besides, what's going to happen to a baby from thimerosal? Tell me?

Don't you know?
Thimerosal in vaccines has been determined to be safe and effective. (couldn't find the sarcastic smiley, but that's how I'm trying to come across, nothing against you personally )

It was also discovered a few years ago that Merck misled the public, including pediatricians, by making them believe they were manufacturing only thimerosal free vaccines. What are you going to do - can't do anything. Thimerosal was never recalled and it's legal to put in vaccines.

Go to the FDA website and take a look at the recall list. There are literally hundreds of recalls of products (food, drugs and others) that are mislabeled each year.
#22 of 31 Old 08-02-2005, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the link!

And sadly I don't think you'd ever be able to get much of a legal case- vax companies are protected by assorted laws and mainstream mentality.

-Angela
#23 of 31 Old 08-02-2005, 05:22 PM

I haven't given any yet, and don't know if I ever will, but my Dr said they will get them for me if I want them. I then asked if they would open them in the room with me & he said yes. My Dr. KNOWS I'm a nut, and didn't even blink at this. :LOL
#24 of 31 Old 08-02-2005, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha_girl
Our children's pedi actually offered thimerosol free vaccines to us, but we explained that it was other additives that concerned us as much as mercury. The look on the nurse's face when we asked her for an antibiotic, aluminum, formalin free vaccine was priceless.

:LOL I'll do that next time & report back. Nobody has ever been able to explain to my why there's alluminum in them (other than you guys, OF COURSE! )
#25 of 31 Old 08-02-2005, 05:35 PM

Ashrob123, even the link you provided states that the shots with a * in the mercury column still have thimerosal in them. It's down at the bottom:

"* This product should be considered equivalent to thimerosal-free products. This vaccine may contain trace amounts (<0.3 mcg) of mercury left after post-production thimerosal removal; these amounts have no biological effect."

But then, according to the vaccine manufacturers, even 25mcg of mercury has no biological effect, so why the heck would I believe what they say?
#26 of 31 Old 08-03-2005, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
No, actually it's not - in a legal sense.

My kid, along with thousands of others, received over 100 micrograms of mercury by the time they were six months old and developed autism even though pharma was aware of the exceeded EPA limits. Try suing for that and see where it gets you - trust me, I am in the process of doing it.

Besides, what's going to happen to a baby from thimerosal? Tell me?

Don't you know?
Thimerosal in vaccines has been determined to be safe and effective. (couldn't find the sarcastic smiley, but that's how I'm trying to come across, nothing against you personally )

It was also discovered a few years ago that Merck misled the public, including pediatricians, by making them believe they were manufacturing only thimerosal free vaccines. What are you going to do - can't do anything. Thimerosal was never recalled and it's legal to put in vaccines.

Go to the FDA website and take a look at the recall list. There are literally hundreds of recalls of products (food, drugs and others) that are mislabeled each year.
Good luck with your suit.

But mislabeling a product accidently and purposely putting a label on that you know is false are two different things. The thought that seems to be going in this thread is that they purposely labeled something one way knowing it had thimerosal, that is gross negligence on the behalf of the company. It's just like a food company putting on a label that there are no nuts in a product, but sneaking them in because they are cheaper than almonds. That is illegal and would be a winnable case.

EDD July 21, 2011!
#27 of 31 Old 08-03-2005, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richelle
Ashrob123, even the link you provided states that the shots with a * in the mercury column still have thimerosal in them. It's down at the bottom:

"* This product should be considered equivalent to thimerosal-free products. This vaccine may contain trace amounts (<0.3 mcg) of mercury left after post-production thimerosal removal; these amounts have no biological effect."

But then, according to the vaccine manufacturers, even 25mcg of mercury has no biological effect, so why the heck would I believe what they say?
I know. I was referring to those that said 0 not those with the asterix.

EDD July 21, 2011!
#28 of 31 Old 08-03-2005, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday
This is the source for the information that even allegedly mercury-free vaccines are not, in fact, free of mercury:

http://www.hapihealth.com/vaccine/vaxtest.html

The front page of mothering.com reported on this a few months ago as well.
Thanks. I thought that it was an actual study. I'll look for the article on mothering.com.

EDD July 21, 2011!
#29 of 31 Old 08-03-2005, 02:44 PM

Quote:
But mislabeling a product accidently and purposely putting a label on that you know is false are two different things. The thought that seems to be going in this thread is that they purposely labeled something one way knowing it had thimerosal, that is gross negligence on the behalf of the company. It's just like a food company putting on a label that there are no nuts in a product, but sneaking them in because they are cheaper than almonds. That is illegal and would be a winnable case.
Here's the thing with the "thimerosal free" vaccines, which I'm sure you may be are aware, but most parents are not --- the manufacturers are legally able to make the thimerosal free claim. They are able to place the words "thimerosal free" on the box and bottle - even though there is in fact thimerosal in the vaccine because the FDA considers the amount to be trace and insignificant. The trace amount must be listed in the package insert though.

Therefore, there are mothers across this country who are told their child's shots are mercury free, when in fact they are not. The ped says to the concerned mother - "look dear, see it says thimerosal free on the bottle."

This is what I would call misleading - but it's legal.

Additionally, the FDA is fully aware thimerosal is used during the manufacturing process of many "truly" thimerosal free vaccines (I use the word "truly" very lightly). If there are some amounts remaining in the vaccines, they are not required to diclose it b/c the amounts may be under the radar and/or it's not considered an ingredient. Pharma knows it's in there.
#30 of 31 Old 08-03-2005, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I thought that it was an actual study. I'll look for the article on mothering.com.
I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying it does not seem like an actual study to you? The folks at HAPI sent 4 samples of "thimerosol-free" vaccines to an independent lab for testing. The lab found much higher amounts of thimerosol than the "trace" amount that the manufacturers claim is "left behind after purification". It seems like an "actual study" to me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page