Are DOs more non-vax/delayed vax friendly than MDs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2004, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering. We've just moved and now are faced with the unfortunate prospect of finding a non-vax/delayed-vax-friendly ped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2004, 07:42 PM

Not in my experience. A ND (doctor of naturopathy) would be though!
Old 09-14-2004, 07:46 PM

I am not sure. But check the Find Your Tribe Forum or Find a Practioner Forum. Those are good places to start. I would do a search first.

If that does not work, try a local LLL or a local birthing center.

Good Luck

:vax2:
Old 09-14-2004, 08:26 PM

not really. I've been to both.
The main difference i've found is that Do's want to solve the illness & MD's want to treat it.
I saw a DO for many years & he's vax & he just wasn't as pushy - just remember, they all get $$ for vaxes & meds.

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, where I currently live, the peds won't take us as patients, but the DO's will You should also try family practicioners rather than peds.........

Kristi

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

Old 09-15-2004, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I've tried finding a ped through the usual channels with no success (not a lot of non-vaxers in my new city : ). I'm taking ds to a DO tomorrow. I'll report back how it goes. Wish me luck!

Darlene
:vax2: (Just had to use this great new smilie!)
Old 09-15-2004, 09:12 PM

2 of the 3 peds in our old peds office are do's, she was more pushy (at least so far) than the md that we all now see.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
Old 09-16-2004, 11:24 AM

The only DO we've ever seen was WAY more pushy on vax and circ than all of the MDs we've seen put together.

Betty *(.)(.)* mama to: DS1 (12) DS2 (11) DS3 (8)
(12/26/06) (5/11/09) (10/7/09)x2

Old 09-17-2004, 01:10 AM
pln

Hmmm..the DO ped my ds sees is not pushy at all. We've declared what we'd like to have happen over the next 4 years and she doesn't even discuss it anymore unless we bring it up. We actually chose this practice because they are more AP/NFL in nature (an LC on site, no-vax/del-vax friendly, etc.)

Sounds like it really depends on the specific person--unless you go to an ND.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:04 AM

Both, IMO, are just as pushy with the vax issue.
I spent an hour on the phone with our Family Doctor who is a Naturopath, Chinese Medicine and Acupunturist...she validated everything about the vax issues.
My 5 & 3 year old have some vax, decided 2 years ago to no longer vax...we have had NO problems at all. However, I make sure they eat healthy and overall are healthy children.
No flouride, no pesticides, no Rx's...
They are perfectly healthy.

:vax2:
Old 09-17-2004, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we met the DO yesterday, and at first she was all pro-vax (I really can't remember how I brought it up). So I searched my memory for all I've learned from the posters here ( ), and I told her that my ds had a reaction to his 2 month shots (cried for 3 hours straight) and that my brother has Asperger's Syndrome, so we had decided with our last pediatrician to delay vaxing. She gave the standard "the correlation between the MMR and autism has been debunked." I countered with "newer studies show there may be a correlation between the MMR and children with a genetic predisposition towards autism-spectrum disorders." Then she relented and said "that's true, you're obviously well-informed." Then we had a nice conversation about vaxes. I had an answer for everything she brought up (thanks to y'all!)My dh, who is more conflicted on the issue than I am, asked her if she thought we were doing the right thing. She said that she was bound to say that we should vax, but she totally understood our decision not to. She said she had many patients who don't get any vaxes, and it sounded like we would fall into a medical and philosophical exemption. She also said she would need us to sign a waiver. I asked if I could bring my own (one I got here on MDC), and told her I was a lawyer. She said sure, she'd be happy to look at it, but the health system might need us to sign theirs, too. I'm not happy with that, but otherwise, I'm satisfied. I think it's the best I can hope for.

One word of advice to other non/delayed vaxers: It seems if you come armed with facts and if you say words to the effect of "I'm very conflicted about this, but this is what I'm comfortable with now," things go better. Thanks for your input!
Old 09-17-2004, 08:35 PM

glad the visit went well!

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome

User Tag List