Personal Exemptions in WA State - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-15-2004, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son is in a public elementary school, first grade. We partially immunized him as a baby, but didn't do Hep B, MMR, or any shots since his first year. We have always signed the personal exemption area on the back of the immunization forms for preschool and then also when we enrolled him last year for kindergarten. Nobody has ever said anything to us about it. Today he came home with a form in his backpack stating that they want him up to date in 30 days or he can't attend school. We are not willing to immunize him further. I have a call in to his doctor to request a physician's exemption, but don't know if he will sign one or not. If not, does anybody know if personal exemptions will work in Washington State if you've partially vaccinated, or only if you refuse all immunizations since birth? Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Paula
#2 of 5 Old 10-15-2004, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Personal belief exemptions shouldn't require that you not have done any at all - might be a problem with selective vax?, but if your beliefs have changed, then it shouldn't matter what you did before, IMO

I would give them a copy of the state law allowing the exemption and another signed exemption form that has been notarized.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#3 of 5 Old 10-16-2004, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Happymamma, I am in WA state too. My daughter just entered kindergarten and I did not have any problems with my personal exemption. I am wondering if they just go over the files at the begining of each year and you just happened to get someone different looking at it this year than last year.

I recieved a phone call 2 weeks ago about my dd not being up to date and told the secretary that I was not going to give what my dd was "behind" on. She was fine with it and just wanted me to sign the exemption form. We do have personal exemptions here in this state so they cannot take your child out of school. I am thinking they just want to make a stink and pressure you but legally they have to abide by state law.

*I forgot to mention that both my children are partially vaccinated. You can be opposed to one vaccine but feel another is acceptable.....your personal choice. Being partially vaccinated should not matter on a personal exemption.
Good Luck.
#4 of 5 Old 10-16-2004, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Luvmytwo - When I registered him for K last year I filled out and signed the back of the immunization form where you can check off for personal exemption. Was there a separate exemption form you had to fill out/sign when they called you, or was that what you're talking about?

I think there may be a different school nurse this year, so that may be the problem. They should know the state law though. I'm so irritated they sent this home on Friday afternoon, when I can't do anything about it for the entire weekend!

Paula
#5 of 5 Old 10-16-2004, 06:20 AM

Here is some info for you:

http://www.909shot.com/state-site/Washington.htm

Desiree

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page