i think we have measles .. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 10-18-2004, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
.. or similar

I've spent a bit of time trawling the net but I am a bit frantic and hope you won't mind helping this Mum out. I am mostly concerned about my friend we were around all this weekend, she is 26.5 weeks pregnant.

My 18mo DD has a slight high temp at times over the past few days - I'd guess starting about 4 or 5 days ago. Yesterday and today she felt normal, and this morning I have noticed a pin prick rash on her chest and back. She has been more tired and whingy. I put this down to the fact she'd been babysat for four days in a row, which is totally out of the usual for us. She has also lost her appetite, but has eaten a little last night and today. I think her throat is sore, as she is holding food in her mouth and leaving it there.

She is breastfed and has never been vax'd. I give her 1000mg of sodium ascorbate (vitC) and one capsule of pro-biotics every breaskfast - obviously while she has beeen off her food I havent been able to get this into her. I tried to up her vitc in response to the fever but as she wasn't taking much food I was unsuccessful.

This sounds most like measles yeah? The timing of the fever and rash? Could it be something else rashy? I am taking her to the Dr for a diagnosis this afternoon but wouldn't mind others learned opinions.

My other questions:
What's the real risk for my friend? She thinks she had it as a child. Every page I open just has a one or two liner about the defects it can cause How do i find REAL information?

Now for my DD - just keep up the vitc and get some Vit A into her? What's the best form of vit A? How much?
I'm taking her to the dr for a diagnosis but not treatment, if she contiues to seem not too bad, is it ok to give all the other natural treatments a miss or should I do them now instead of if it gets worse? She isn't too sick IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-18-2004, 11:39 PM

Hmmm... it sounds more like Roseola to me. At least, that's what dd's Roseola was like: a few days of HIGH fever (really high, as in 104+) followed by nothing, followed by pinprick rash on trunk.

You haven't mentioned a runny (pouring) nose, cough, or especially Koplik's spots, which would provide a definitive diagnosis of Measles. Plus I think Measles begins on the face and THEN spreads to the trunk.

Check out this link:

http://www.kcom.edu/faculty/chamberlain/exanthems.htm
#3 of 6 Old 10-18-2004, 11:43 PM

Yup, I agree, baby measels.
Has the rash spread? Into her hairline?
#4 of 6 Old 10-18-2004, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

it is mostly on her trunk but looks like it is spreading up onto her hairline. i have looked as good as you can into a sick cranky 18mo mouth and cant see any white spots. she hasnt got a runny nose, cough or anything like that.
#5 of 6 Old 10-18-2004, 11:53 PM

Sounds like Roseola to me.(baby measels) When the rash appears, the worst is usually over. You can do a search here for it and also in Health and healing.
My dd's got it when they were 6 months old. There should be some pictures put up by members.
Please remember NO tylenol for her right now.
#6 of 6 Old 10-19-2004, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

oh yup, this is a no anti-pyretic zone ... does that make us a pyretic zone? Ok, sense of humour is back, crisis under control

I feel much happier it beign roseola as i was at a parents baby and childrens expo much of the weekend with a bigzillion pregnant women walking past. DD was there asleep or feeding in the sling for 1.5 hours of that, was concerned what i would breathe onto them from her!

going to look up roseola now, thank for your help.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page