Does a pregnant woman pass flu shot immunities to the fetus? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2004, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have seen this discussed here already but I can't, for the life of me, find the thread(s). I'm looking for references as well.
I remember reading that if natural immunities are developed, they are passed through the placenta but immunities developed from the flu shot are not passed through the placenta. I read this about rubella as well and can't seem to find the info on that either.
I'm just really bad at searching tonight. heh.
Can someone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2004, 10:10 AM

supposedly the flu shot passes "immunity" if done in the third trimester, iirc ~ but i read it on cnn.com or our local news site, can't remember which - not here
Old 11-12-2004, 11:55 AM

I think there's a basic understanding that a mother can't pass "immunity" from a vaccine on to her children - only naturally acquired immunity. I'm not sure about the references here, but Aviva Jill Romm's book ("Vaccination, A Thoughful Paren't Guide") and Neustadter's Book ("The Vaccine Guide") discuss this fact, specifically as it relates to shifts in the epidemiology of diseases - more babies getting diseases they used to have passive immunity to because their mothers passed on antibodies, but don't anymore because they only had the vaccine.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:12 PM

and a reminder....no vaccine gives immunity. only the illusion of it. With immunity your immune system is functional and strong. With vaxes your immune system is compromised.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yequanamama
I think there's a basic understanding that a mother can't pass "immunity" from a vaccine on to her children - only naturally acquired immunity. I'm not sure about the references here, but Aviva Jill Romm's book ("Vaccination, A Thoughful Paren't Guide") and Neustadter's Book ("The Vaccine Guide") discuss this fact, specifically as it relates to shifts in the epidemiology of diseases - more babies getting diseases they used to have passive immunity to because their mothers passed on antibodies, but don't anymore because they only had the vaccine.
Thank you. I'll look for discussion of those books somewhere online. Someone on another forum was asking me about this and she wants proof so I'm trying to find websites with the info. heh.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavamamakava
I have seen this discussed here already but I can't, for the life of me, find the thread(s). I'm looking for references as well.
I remember reading that if natural immunities are developed, they are passed through the placenta but immunities developed from the flu shot are not passed through the placenta. I read this about rubella as well and can't seem to find the info on that either.
I'm just really bad at searching tonight. heh.
Can someone help?

Ok, your question is does a pregnant woman pass flu shot immunities to the fetus?

First we would have to know for a fact whether or not the flu vaccine creates immunity. And we do not know that, nor will any doctor say for sure that the flu vaccine will prevent the flu in the vaccinated.

But what will pass to the unborn child withouth a doubt is the mercury, antibiotics and other additional ingredients in the shot.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti
Ok, your question is does a pregnant woman pass flu shot immunities to the fetus?

First we would have to know for a fact whether or not the flu vaccine creates immunity. And we do not know that, nor will any doctor say for sure that the flu vaccine will prevent the flu in the vaccinated.

But what will pass to the unborn child withouth a doubt is the mercury, antibiotics and other additional ingredients in the shot.
Hi Gitti I was hoping you would post Yeah, I already went over the toxic substances in vaccines with the person who wants information. She doesn't think that the amounts are any big deal. But when I mentioned the info about the immunities from the shot not being transferred through the placenta, she suddenly became thirsty for more information. So I'm hoping to point her in the right direction.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:25 PM

I asked Randall Neustaedter this very question for someone last year and he said, "The answer to your question is no.
And beware, antibody formation subsequent to vaccines is not an adequate way to verify immunity."
Old 11-12-2004, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annalily
I asked Randall Neustaedter this very question for someone last year and he said, "The answer to your question is no.
And beware, antibody formation subsequent to vaccines is not an adequate way to verify immunity."
Thank you. I'll look him up.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:31 AM
Banned

Gee.. I was having a baby just before flu season. No word from my midwife or docs about how I should have a flu shot "just in case" and because I am in a high risk group. Nope...

Not for almost a month after her birth, then all of a sudden there's a flu shortage in the states which has spilled over to the private Canadian supply.

And I find out I'm in several risk groups...
asthmatic, bronchitis, mother of an infant under 6mo, mother of a preschooler, care taker of a spouse with a heart condition...

They can take my shot and shove it. I'm allergic to eggs.

And I'd be more worried about the garbage in the flu shot passing to the fetus than the immunity it supposedly gives us. Wanna bet that in 10 years time we'll find a rash of children who were damaged cause their moms had flu shots while pregnant?
Old 11-13-2004, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yup. Mercury on the brain is just such a wonderful thing

User Tag List