What does this rash look like to you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 12-11-2004, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please check out the pics in my blog: http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=rere2089 and let me know what you think. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 50 Old 12-11-2004, 01:40 AM

Anna Marie,

I would say it's the measles. From what I remember from my kids and my grandson, that's what it looked like.

BTW, your kid is very cute! What a sweet face. Hope she feels ok. We never had any problems with the measles. It's really a benign disease.
#3 of 50 Old 12-11-2004, 02:13 AM

Looks similar to what my dd & niece had about a month ago with the body rash & spots just on the cheeks. They both ran pretty good fever for 3 days before the rash erupted on day 4, had the rash & fever for a day, then the fever broke & the rash faded on the 5th day. It's a macular rash, not the typical 5th disease lacy rash and also spots on the cheeks, not the typical "slapped cheek" look of 5th disease. Also not measley either. And no other apparent symptoms. I think in our case it's probably either an adenovirus or enterovirus.

Should say though that lots of viruses can cause rashes & you can't always tell just by looking at it. Most docs I know of will just call it "nonspecific viral rash" if it doesn't fit the classic picture of an illness like measles, rubella, roseola, 5th etc.
#4 of 50 Old 12-11-2004, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Thing is, he fits the profile except for a few things. He was sick for days before he broke out. He's not vaccinated and he's at the age where they give it so I'm thinking maybe someone in his class got a shot and he got infected. I guess we'll see if my other kids come down with it.

Thanks for the kind comments Gitti!
#5 of 50 Old 12-11-2004, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does your son have Koplik's spots in his mouth? Koplik's spots resemble tiny grains of white sand surrounded by a red ring.

Here are some photos of Koplik's spots.

http://ir.nih.go.kr/support/disinfo/images/photo_14.gif

http://tinyurl.com/62d8y

http://euclid.dne.wvfibernet.net/~jv...tos/Koplik.jpg

Other than the rash, what symptoms of measles does your son have, and what symptoms is he missing? (You said he fit the description of measles other than a few things).

Did the doctor tell you why he was sure it wasn't measles?
#6 of 50 Old 12-11-2004, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

He didn't have them yesterday (Koplik's spots.), but I didn't look today, I forgot. The doctor said it wasn't measles because it's nearly unheard of and because the rash usually takes a few days to come out and he broke out right away. He said they are usually sick before hand and have a fever.....but I had told him twice already that he had been sick and when he broke out he did have a fever. So the only thing that doesn't match is that he broke out quickly.
#7 of 50 Old 12-11-2004, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
but I had told him twice already that he had been sick and when he broke out he did have a fever. So the only thing that doesn't match is that he broke out quickly.
this would almost make me think roseola. my son had this. he was a little under the weather for a couple days, then had a raging fever for about 2 hours, and shortly after, while he was still a bit warm, he broke out all over in the same kind of rash. it lasted for about 3 or 4 days, then disappeared completely.

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#8 of 50 Old 12-11-2004, 05:06 AM

Roseola, specially if he was sick for a few days before hand. The rash should start to go away within the next 24 hours if it is.
#9 of 50 Old 12-11-2004, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinneyah
this would almost make me think roseola. my son had this. he was a little under the weather for a couple days, then had a raging fever for about 2 hours, and shortly after, while he was still a bit warm, he broke out all over in the same kind of rash. it lasted for about 3 or 4 days, then disappeared completely.
I thought of that too so I looked it up. It usually occurs in younger children, but it's still a possibility, but his rash doesn't match any of the pictures I've seen online. I think if it were the doc would have brought it up. IMO, he's a new doc and has probably never seen measles before so if it is, he really just doesn't realize it. I'm taking pictures of him every day to keep a photo journal for future reference, and possibly to help me figure out what he really has.

Something else that was weird. Five minutes before he broke out he had no fever. It showed up with the rash. But he did have a runny nose and cough for a few days to a week before he broke out in the rash.

His rash is getting worse since it first started. No signs of it getting better and this is day 2.

Thanks for all the replies!

PS-The rash looks more like spots than the pictures show because my digital camera doesn't take good pics in the house at night. I'll try to get some outside in the light tomorrow.
#10 of 50 Old 12-11-2004, 11:39 AM

It's really hard for me to tell much for the pix (it'd be great if you have a chance to post more), but a few general thoughts on measles:

1. You generally get some nice red eyes with it, in addition to the cough and runny nose.

2. Rash tends to start on the face and progress downwards to cover the whole body (except palms and soles). The spots on the face may become confluent as the rash progresses. That down-the-body progress is characteristic of measles, but not diagnostic of it. A number of viral illnesses will cause a "measles-like" rash, so it's very hard to make a diagnosis based on rash alone.

3. The Koplik spots, which are diagnostic, may already be gone by the time the rash shows up. If you do notice them, though, you're almost certainly looking at measles.

How's he feeling?
#11 of 50 Old 12-11-2004, 01:09 PM

if you really want to know couldn't you check for measles or roseola(or any) anti-bodies? If you do go that route do post the results! The rash looks similar to the one my dd has with roseola. I took pictures as well(always so with illnesses).
Healings for your little one.
#12 of 50 Old 12-11-2004, 01:51 PM

I would say either measles OR an allergic reaction to something. Any new medicine, food, vitamin etc. introduced. My kids have had something similar when they were younger - I think all of my boys did but not my girl. We never figured out what it was and it was not quite as wide spread as that - but it could be a possiblity. I think with my youngest one we figured out it was chocolate. Remember kids can develop allergies at any time. With my oldest it seemed to be my detergent. I now use perfume and dye free detergent all the time.

Has anyone else been sick the same way - but w/o the rash? The fever etc. certainly seems involved - but could be coincidence.

Kepp us posted.

DID your ds recently try any new foods? Or eat alot of one in particular - like strawberries etc.?
#13 of 50 Old 12-11-2004, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I thought of the antibody testing too. I had already planned on calling my insurance company on Monday to see if they will cover it, but I doubt the doctor will order the test.

The doc brought up allergic reaction, but I said you don't usually get a fever with that and he agreed, so that's been ruled out. I'm going to go take some more pics right now and I'll post them as soon as I'm done.

Thanks guys!
#14 of 50 Old 12-11-2004, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

There is no sun out so the pics didn't come out that great again. Maybe a little better this time. Oh, and I did find a few dark spots on the inside of his cheek.

Here are the photos: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rere2089/album?.dir=/ced9
#15 of 50 Old 12-12-2004, 02:04 AM

Roseola hit my son at around 5 mo, doc said nonspecific viral rash :
Anyway, he had it on his ears and body mostly, not his cheeks and not his arms and legs.
I wonder if the shed virus from the vaccine would act differently than the wild virus??? In which case, it could be measles. Just a thought.
I wouldn't go and test his blood at this young of age. I'd document it and then when he is older and thinks about vaccing himself, you can tell him to be checked for it.
I hope he feels better soon.
#16 of 50 Old 12-12-2004, 02:20 AM

That looks a lot like Fifth's Disease. I had it as a child and it looked exactly like that, mosty on my arms and legs. Characteristic lacy rash.

http://www.dermnet.com/thumbnailInde...ex=0&numcols=0

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#17 of 50 Old 12-12-2004, 03:23 AM

Dd had "suspected measles" at 18 mos.- my doctor was out so we just talked on the phone. Measles was circulating at the time- it might have been something else but she had distinct red spots and was the most sick she had ever been for a week.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#18 of 50 Old 12-12-2004, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

It's not Fifth's because he's already had it. His spots look nothing like in those pics, and it looks nothing like when he had it. I don't think it's roseola because it usually occurs in children younger than him and usually only lasts a day or two. Tomorrow will be day 4 of the rash, and as I mentioned he also had spots in his month. I really think it's measles, but to find out for sure I'm going to see if my insurance will pay for the blood work to find out for sure. I'll have my ex call the doc and tell him we want the test done. The doc seems to listen to him more than me. I think it's important to find out for sure for a lot of reasons. If it is measles it needs to be in his chart. I also need to pull all my children from school for a while because of state law.

Definitely ruled out is Fifth's (He's already had it.) and an allergic reaction. We shall see. I wonder if the rest of my kids will end up breaking out or not. Just have to wait and see now.
#19 of 50 Old 12-12-2004, 05:11 AM

I'm just curious...on a scale of 1 to 10, how bad would you say whatever this illness is, is?
With, say, a one being 4 days of a runny nose, and 10 being you worrying if he's going to survive...
#20 of 50 Old 12-12-2004, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

It's not that bad right now, but I still need to know. It's important in case he did have any complications because if the doctor doesn't believe it's the measles, how is he going to believe he's having a complication from the measles? It's important to have it recorded in his medical records for the future if he chooses to go to college and they want him to be vaccinated, etc. I have the feeling you think I'm overreacting. I'm not, I just want to know what my son has. Wouldn't you want to know? It really bugs me that the doctor can't tell me what he has. How do I know if it's serious or not if I don't even know what it is?
#21 of 50 Old 12-12-2004, 06:38 AM

Oh, wow...no, I don't think you're overeacting!
I'm wondering about how to expect to feel when and if my own son contracts the Measles!
I hear the same term "not a lot of fun" given by moms to both the chicken pox and measels...but when I was a kid, I actually thought having chicken pox was kinda fun....
It's in no way an insinuation that whatever your son has might not be serious!
I'm just trying to figure out how worse measles might be compared to chicken pox...
That's all, mama...
I'm just preparing myself to maybe be you in a couple of years....
#22 of 50 Old 12-12-2004, 07:47 AM

My husband took one look and was SURE it looks like measles. He had it sooo bad when he was a child that he nearly died and had to spend time in hospital. I've never seen my husband so certain of anything!!!! He just said; "Yep! That's exactly what measles looks like!" and we had only looked at the face shot. He then said; "I'll bet the kids running a bad fever and the spots are all over the body. The whole body breaks out if it's measles" then we saw the rest of your pics and he said "Just make sure you tell this mum to watch him like a hawk! I remember how sick I got ... it's my first real memory and I was in hospital. They'd want to be careful!" So I'm writing this post because he seems so positive that the rash is measles. I hope it's not. By the way, my brother got measles but I never got them??? Get a bloodtest and my prayers are with you ...
#23 of 50 Old 12-12-2004, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you have PPO or HMO insurance? If you have PPO, there is no reason for the doctor to not test your son for measles if you want him to.
#24 of 50 Old 12-12-2004, 01:38 PM

I am sure you are already doing it,but just make sure he is taking vit A and C.Over at http://www.healthy.net in the childrens section click on measles in the conditions section for the measles page by Janet Zand.It should offer some good treatment options,and wouldn't hurt even if it isn't measles. Look forward to finding out what it is,and hope he has a speedy/full recovery.The hardest part besides seeing your child ill is to not know what is ailing them.
#25 of 50 Old 12-12-2004, 01:41 PM

It looks a lot like the eczema my son gets at times. We are very allergic people.
#26 of 50 Old 12-12-2004, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti
Anna Marie,

I would say it's the measles. From what I remember from my kids and my grandson, that's what it looked like.

BTW, your kid is very cute! What a sweet face. Hope she feels ok. We never had any problems with the measles. It's really a benign disease.
The more I look at it and other pictures of measles on the net - the more it looks sounds like measles. I would either A - go to a different doc and insist on testing for measles. or B - go to the ER and insist on the same. You are right that there are precautions and documentation that needs to be taken care of if he does have measles. I would not take no for an answer - FIND OUT!
At the new doc try a different tactic - try "I think my son was exposed to someone with a mild case of measles - and now he has this rash" I bet you will get a different reaction. Any association you may make between your son's measles and another child's vaccination with live measles vaccine will be met with a negative reaction. Technically I think catching measles from a child recently vaccinated with MMR should be reported to the state as well as VAERS as it is a direct result of vaccination.

I hope he sails through this with no problems as most children do!

HAve you found any images on the internet that resemble to you what your son has?
#27 of 50 Old 12-12-2004, 04:43 PM

Again, you can't tell just by looking at a rash if it is or is not measles. A lot of viruses can produce a rash that looks like measles rashes. No reason you shouldn't have a titre done if you want it. I guess for me personally it just wouldn't be so much of an issue because the way I'd treat & observe would be the same regardless of what virus was causing it.
#28 of 50 Old 12-12-2004, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtwiss

I hope he sails through this with no problems as most children do!

HAve you found any images on the internet that resemble to you what your son has?
Thanks. And yes, and all the images were of measles.

I'll reply to everyone later. I don't have time right now, sorry. But I promise, I really appreciate every single reply.
#29 of 50 Old 12-12-2004, 05:41 PM

I agree there are many viruses that can produce a measles like rash - but her description of her son's symptoms match that of measles as well. I also think IF her child has measles then she should find out, mostly to warn other people she has come in contact with so they know what to look out for. I am not deathly afraid of the measles - but what if her ds was in contact with a small baby? I think it is important to know. AND it should be reported also as a case of measles transmitted from the vaccination of another child IF that was the case.
#30 of 50 Old 12-12-2004, 06:42 PM

I just found pics of when DS had the measles the first time and Id scan them if I could but I take back what I originally said about roseola. It looks my sons rash. He has a severly compromised immune system and has had them 2 times we know of, Dr thinks 3 but he was tested too late for it to be made known. All his titers (sp?) are negative (even though yes he was vaxed). And now reading that you say he has sores in his mouth, makes me even more sure it is measles. Good luck. Hope you can the Dr to run the test.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page