What? My rubella titer came back negative? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2004, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 35 weeks pregnant, and at my last appointment, my doc told me that my Rubella titer came back negative ie...I'm not immune. Supposedly, they are finding the vaccine has worn off in a lot of people my age (25). So, they want to re-immunize me in the hospital right after I have the baby. Ummm, I don't think so! I'm not having anymore kids, so not I'm worried about the immunity. Although my kids aren't vaxed, so it does kind of weird me out that I've been walking around for three pregnancies without being immune to Rubella.

See, this is why they should have let me get the damn disease when I was 2, and then just be immune and not have to worry about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2004, 05:04 PM

I had rubella at 18 months old, it was horrible... It progressed into encephalitis, I was in a coma for 3 weeks, it was presumed I would die. My mother did not give up. I woke up and recovered. However, the myelin was damaged. Also, it left other things in it's wake. And guess what? When I was 16, I was forced to get the MMR because of school requirements. (late 1970s)

And yet I am pretty anti-vax.

I never let them run all those tests when I was pregnant, so I have no idea if the titers would show up positive or not. I do know that my mother had hepatitis A when she was in her 20s, and now it doesn't show up in the titers.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:05 PM

Oy! As parents we need to think about the long-term repercussions of vaxxing. I bet this happens more often than docs want to admit.

Sigh.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Simply Nurtured . I'm sorry you went through that. It sounds horrible. I just want people to know that that is a very extreme example, and not the norm.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:12 PM

I know and I agree with you. Didn't you catch my sarcasm, saying and yet I am pretty anti-vax. Like despite what happened to me, I know vaxes can cause damage too.

It makes me sick the way doctors push vaxes and flu shots and circ and treat birth like it is a medical event. They use scare tactics. They don't even bother to learn about nutrition or natural healing.

I won't go back to the pedatrician's (9 peds and 4 nurse pract. in one office, none know what they are doing) office, I am taking my kids to family practice docs instead, now. When I took my 6 year old who was covered with a rash all over to the peds, they want to play "catch up" on his vaxes. No, thanks... Finally got referred to dermatologists, it was ezcema, I have been treating it naturally.

Thanks for the

Obviously, my immune system fought it, and I should have been considered "immune", but this illustrates how ignorant the vax pushers really are. Why would the MMR be needed for someone who had already had Rubella anyway, right?
Old 12-12-2004, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

oh, yeah, I get what you are saying now. I totally agree!
Old 12-12-2004, 10:28 PM

Rubella Embryopathy

...The main fear that is propagandised with regard to rubella is the rubella embryopathy. What we are not told is, for example, that there were 4 cases of RE in Switzerland between 1995 and 2001 of which two women were fully vaccinated against rubella. The only protection a pregnant woman has from rubella is that she contracted rubella during her childhood. We should therefore offer our girls the chance to contract rubella...

The Antibody Theory

...The only scientific argument ever offered by the medical industry in favor of vaccination is that vaccines produce antibodies. But government statistics, medical research studies, and FDA and CDC reports show that vaccine-induced antibody production is helpless against disease and that vaccines are a prime cause of the very diseases they are meant to prevent...
Old 12-13-2004, 12:05 AM

My rubella titer came back positive at age 21 (for working with children!) and age 26, I didn't have it done w the last pregnancy.
There has been a lot of debate over the timing of the MMR and it's effectiveness. My sister had to have the MMR again before going to college, b/c the ped had not done it at the right times!!!
I am older than she is and mine were done fine through the military hospital. But I wonder since I had pertusis that I might have had rubella and other stuff naturally. I was injected with so much stuff at such a young age, I'm sure a lot of it didn't take. I had yellowfever vax and black plague vax before the age of 2. No child needs these painful vaxes and my mother refused small pox!!! Of all things to refuse, I wish this one had been done at least I wouldn't walk around in fear that I'd have a reaction to a new small pox vaccine and I'd carry some immunity pregnant (you can not get the small pox vaccine pregnant).
I can't believe it is sooo important that they want to vax you in the hospital! I am soooo glad I won't be having any more babies in hospitals.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I remember them asking me if I ever had a rubella vaccine when I was pregnant at the beginning of my pregnancy. They didnt tell me if I was immune or not but seeing that they asked, I bet not. I didnt go back to that practice so I dont know what they would have wanted me to do about it.

Desiree

Old 12-13-2004, 07:14 PM

BTDT, I had all of my shots as a child and in 2000 when I was ph with my 2nd the titer came back negative. I was born in the early 70's.

The whooping cough vax didn't work on me either. I had the shot as a child and then got whooping cough as a collage student.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:56 PM

Good Call! My kids are not vaccinated either, but I have been fully vax'd, and then some. I received my third dose of MMR while in high school. Yet when I was pg with my ds they told me I was non immune to rubella! : So they tried to pressure me in the hospital to get the rubella vax and almost threatened that I wouldn't be allowed to leave till I got it! : Yeah, that worked... Anyway, I am glad I stuck to my guns cause I researched it and it seems that women that get this vax after childbirth have higher risk of reaction the vax- something about arthritis and joint pain. Also the vax goes through breastmilk so right there it was a no way in my mind. I had a homebirth with #2 so nobody bugged me.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:46 PM

My friend is a nurse, and she has had MMR 5 times in the last few years as she doesn't "take" on the rubella part of it. Absolute madness! 5 times! Anyway, rubella and measles are two diseases I will make efforts for my DD to catch naturally.

User Tag List