Urgent Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-28-2005, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

My friend's son had varivax (chicken pox) vax and now has chicken pox. I want to expose my unvaxed (for chicken pox) 4.5 year old son to her's. Can a vaxed case of varicella be transmitted? Thanks, urgent because her son probably not infectious much longer. Any risks (other than usual Merck scare ad information) re: getting chicken pox from vaxed carrier? THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-28-2005, 11:45 AM

Yes. One of my students had her 2 y/o son vaxed, and he came down with a very mild case. My student, in turn, got a very bad case and was hospitalized.

HTH

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
#3 of 9 Old 01-28-2005, 11:48 AM

#4 of 9 Old 01-28-2005, 11:50 AM

Someone on here posted recently that it's not a good idea to try to catch CP (or measles, etc.) from a recently-vaxed child. Something about the "attenuated" virus being more likely to lead to complications, and that it is better to catch the illness naturally through wild virus. Maybe do a little more research before you expose him. Sorry I can't give you a straight answer, but I would be hesitant to expose my child in your shoes.
#5 of 9 Old 01-28-2005, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for input,

It is a tough decision, I am hesitant but also fear there is no more wild chickenpox around where I live. Hard to get answers to specific questions on relatively new vaccine other than Japanese studies, instinct tells me exposing to vaxed variety can't be as "good."
#6 of 9 Old 01-28-2005, 03:13 PM

No way in hell would I let my DS near a varivaxed kid. It's not the attenuation that's a problem, it the recombination. No one can possibly know what franken-viruses are occuring now.

Quote:
I am hesitant but also fear there is no more wild chickenpox around where I live.
I don't know where you live, nor can I know what wild viruses are really out there anywhere, but that totally reeks of propaganda. Please don't be scared by it. Even if it's true, the real deal is just a plane ride away, if your little ones need exposure...
#7 of 9 Old 01-28-2005, 03:19 PM

aira, it was you I was thinking of! Can you explain what recombination is? I can sort of guess but I don't know for sure. The virus has been modified somehow, right?
#8 of 9 Old 01-28-2005, 07:32 PM

I will be watching this thread, as this is something I am very interested in.

My DD has not yet had the chance to gain natural immunity to CP (unlike her brother) and I really prefer that she DO before adulthood.

BUT, I also am dubious about the vaccine strain virus as opposed to the wild virus.

There is so much emerging info on the CP vax and negative effects, from waning immunity to breakthrough (contagious) infections in the vaxed to erosion of natural immunity.

I have research a LOT on this illness and the vaccine, but this issue, the issue of differences, if any, between the vax strain and the wild virus is not one I have found anything on.

I assume there may be differences, if only because of the evidence to date indicates that the naturally immune are losing immunity due to a lack of exposure to the virus YET it also indicates that breakthrough/contagious cases in the vaxed are widespread. So what gives??? If there is still such widespread chance of exposure due to so many being vaxed with the live virus, WHY is natural immunity NOT being boosted by these exposures as it was from exposures to the wild virus??

A conundrum I have yet to unravel.
Any help is appreciated

Lilith
Mom to John, 12 (had a very mild case of wild CP at 3 yrs and no reinfection since, despite numerous exposures in the next few yrs)

Sage, 5 (never had it that I know of.)
#9 of 9 Old 01-28-2005, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenMary
Yes. One of my students had her 2 y/o son vaxed, and he came down with a very mild case. My student, in turn, got a very bad case and was hospitalized.

HTH
But that was not necessarily because it was from the vaccine exposure.
It could have been because of age os some other reason.

If I were in the op situation, I would expose my child. He is in the right age.

How is the vaccine virus different from the wild?

Can someone explain that to me?

They do not have a different virus. It is the wild CP virus that is harvested and then heated to make it weaker. That is the only difference as far as I know.

When the child comes in contact with it his reaction will be exactly the same as though he had gotten it in any other way. Of course the actual reaction varies from child to child.

And if it was given in combination with other viruses, that really doesn't matter. The other viruses are dead. Besides the reaction to the vaccine comes from the adjuvants not the actual virus.

So the op's child would not be affected by any other virus or any of the additional things in the vaccine, only by the CP virus.

YES, I would expose my child to CP from a vaccinated child.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page