Unvaxed TTC mom invited to pox party - what are the risks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2005, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to MDC, but a die hard NFL gal from way back.

I am not vaxed, nor are my children (6 & 3).

We have recently been invited to a pox party to purposely expose my girls for natural immunity. I might be pregnant ( (prayers).

Is there any risk for me? I had the chickenpox as a child, so I'm immune. I can't even be bothered to ask my HCP about this because I know I'm just going to get

Any advice much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2005, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Pregnant Women Exposed to Chicken Pox
Pregnant women who have a history of a previous chicken pox infection or who have been immunized have antibodies to the virus. These antibodies are transferred to the infant through the placenta throughout the pregnancy. Therefore, pregnant women who are immune and are exposed to someone with chicken pox do not need to worry about complications for themselves or their infant.
So, after reading this on a dr. site, I would go if I were in your situation.

Your dds are just the right age and you can get it 'over with' before the baby is born.

You will get a natural booster to CP and pass it on to the baby via bm.

Good luck!
Old 03-02-2005, 04:52 PM

I agree with the above poster.

The only situation I would not would be if you were 7+ months pg (so hypothetically if your baby was early your other children could still be ****WHAT'S THE WORD!?!?!?!?******* you know, able to give it to the baby).

Good luck. Make sure you get them both exposed equally so you hopefully won't have to deal with two different outbreaks!

Old 03-02-2005, 07:31 PM

Personally, I would not do it. Just because you have had the CP does not guarantee that you are immune - mild cases do not always confer immunity. I had CP twice (both mild cases), and know of others who did too.

Just Google "varicella and pregnancy" and you will see that the highest risk of injury to the fetus is in the first 20 weeks of pregnancy. What I skimmed over does indicate that it is rare, but why intentionally take the risk?

Now, if you have recently (in the last few years) had frequent exposure to someone with CP and did not contract CP, then yes, you probably are immune. But if you have not been around anyone with CP for any length of time in the last few years, then how can you be sure that you are immune?

Just my opinion....

User Tag List