Is there a "tetanus only" vaccine for children??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2005, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are looking to vaccinate ONLY with tetanus, but nobody in this city can provide a vaccine for tetanus that isn't DT or DTaP, or so they say. Ds is 12 mo and I am not about to give him dtap or even dt. Where do you find just tetanus? Has anyone run into this?

Thanks!
janel :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2005, 08:55 PM

NO there is no such thing as Tetanus toxoid vaccine.

You may want to look through this thread:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=231708

Please research the vaccine. Your little guy has lots of time. There is no hurry to inject him with anything. Because once you do you can never take it out again and he may have a reaction to the poison. Especially the tetanus, it is not emergency medicine.

Good luck to you!
Old 03-21-2005, 09:24 PM

If there is no tetnus only vaccine, what do they give you when you get a 'tetnus shot'? Isn't that tetnus vaccine? Or is it different?
Old 03-21-2005, 09:35 PM
Red

My kids got tetnus only vaccines! I just asked the doc, when they were old enough to worry about. (we live in old farmland, tetnus is more prevalent)
Old 03-21-2005, 09:40 PM

Hmmmmmmmm

Let me research that a bit...

I'll be back!
Old 03-21-2005, 09:45 PM

There are 4 forms of tetanus immunization.

The DTaP vaccine is a "3-in-1" vaccine that protects against diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus. It can be given to children less than 7 years old. It is injected, usually into the arm or the thigh. DTaP is a safer version of an older vaccine known as DTP, which is no longer used in the United States.

The DT vaccine is a "2-in-1" vaccine that can be given to children less than 7 years old. It does not contain pertussis vaccine, but does contain vaccine that protects against diphtheria and tetanus. It is injected, usually into the arm or thigh.

The Td vaccine is the "adult" vaccine.It contains a slightly different dose of diphtheria vaccine than the DT vaccine. It can be given to anyone older than 7 years old. It is injected, usually into the arm.

Tetanus vaccine (T vaccine) can be given as a single vaccine, but this is not generally available. It is also injected, usually into the arm.

Quote:
Tetanus immune globulin is not actually a vaccine. It is a preparation that is made from serum (part of the blood) from a person or animal (such as a horse) that contains antibodies against tetanus.

It provides immediate, short-term protection against the disorder, but does not provide long-term immunization.

It can be used when someone is believed to have been exposed to the bacteria -- such as when a person steps on a rusty nail or gets cut outdoors in a situation where soil may have entered the wound.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002031.htm

Red,

I would bet your kids had one of the combination vaccines. They tell us one thing and give another... but I don't know that for a fact.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Red

Hmm, my doc did special order it, so I'm reasonably sure.

You have to be pushy!
Old 03-23-2005, 01:51 PM

My docotor also offered the single tenanus vax since we are no vax with a religious exemption. He said he would have to special order it, but it would only take a couple days to get. It may be rare, but you can get it. The doctors will do anything to inject with this vaxes, so if it means a special order.... then by all means they will do it.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:49 PM

For what it is worth, it definitely does exist. I recently attended a vaccination talk led by Michel Odent who confirmed that pharmacies in France sell it over the counter. You can just buy it and take it to a nurse or doctor to be injected. Not the easiest thing to hop over to France if you live in the US, but I would imagine it's not impossible to special order it.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jasper
For what it is worth, it definitely does exist. I recently attended a vaccination talk led by Michel Odent who confirmed that pharmacies in France sell it over the counter. You can just buy it and take it to a nurse or doctor to be injected. Not the easiest thing to hop over to France if you live in the US, but I would imagine it's not impossible to special order it.
A quick question about Michel Odent. I had the pleasure of listening to him talk about a year ago and spent some time chatting with him afterwards. But we only taked about birth. I kept meaning to ask him about vaxes because although in all the books I have read by him (I'm a great fan), he doesn't really bring them up, but he had to leave for the airport. So, is he anti-vax in general?

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 03-23-2005, 07:57 PM

It is hard to find, but does exist. Our naturopath searched for it for many years and finally *scored* some at a reasonable price.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:41 PM

It is my understanding that a child must be over 7 to get tetnaus only. I bet the docs all know this is completely available but do not offer the info....
Old 03-25-2005, 02:54 AM

What pharm company manufactors it? Can any of you whose children had it, call their doc and find out. It should be written down in your childs chart.

This would help us a lot!
Old 03-25-2005, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama
A quick question about Michel Odent. I had the pleasure of listening to him talk about a year ago and spent some time chatting with him afterwards. But we only taked about birth. I kept meaning to ask him about vaxes because although in all the books I have read by him (I'm a great fan), he doesn't really bring them up, but he had to leave for the airport. So, is he anti-vax in general?
Odent never said exactly if he was anti-vax, he said it was up to the parents to decide if risks were worth it, but did support selective and delayed vaccination. We left the talk with my husband deciding that we didn't have to vaccinate our son, and that's not the attitude he went in with, so I would say it was a good result! (though we do have questions still about mumps and male fertility) Odent was very scientific about it and went through all of the diseases, the risks of the vaccinations, etc. He stressed that there have been no randomized large group studies on the safeness of vaccines and that we simply do not know the long-range health risks.

Here is the link to the talk info
Active Birth Centre--Michel Odent

I looked through my notes and with regards to tetanus, Michel Odent said that the tetanus vaccine is very effective and long lasting, but also that there may not be that much chance of getting tetanus because of pesticides, etc. in the soil killing it off. He said that the tetanus-only vaccine did contain mercury, whereas the combination one did not. I wrote down that the name of the tetanus-only vaccine was "hovax" but he has a somewhat thick french accent so it could have been "rovax"? I don't speak French so I don't know how it might be spelled.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question mum2jasper. I admire Odent and his work immensely, especially because of his support for the unassisted birthing movement. I was at the talk with my friend Laura Shanley, author of Unasssisted Childbirth, who knows Michel well, which is why most of our chat was on birth.

Thanks for the link!

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 03-25-2005, 04:07 PM

This is the only tetanus toxoid in the US & it's labeled for use in kids 7 years & up:
http://www.vaccineshoppe.com/US_PDF/...-4258-1-01.pdf
Old 03-25-2005, 04:17 PM

DD is un-vaxed. We wanted tetanus only but they can't special order vax out here (military overseas0 so we didn't get anything.

She had a bad hot water burn several weeks ago and in the emergency room she got a tetanus shot (only tetanus cuz I had DH check it). Our hospital "lied" to us. They did have it but used it for the emergency room only.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
Old 03-25-2005, 05:19 PM

If they give a tetanus shot when you are injured, cut, rusty nail etc... Why would it be important to get an immunization on the off chance that you might be exposed? Maybe I am missing something but it seems that they treat for tetanus in those situations and it is very common to treat for it. Someone please explain

Laurie (46) Wife to : Mom to 4 Grandma to :
Old 03-25-2005, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massaginmommy
If they give a tetanus shot when you are injured, cut, rusty nail etc... Why would it be important to get an immunization on the off chance that you might be exposed? Maybe I am missing something but it seems that they treat for tetanus in those situations and it is very common to treat for it. Someone please explain
Well, DD got the tetanus shot because she hadn't been vax'd at all. They didn't care about anything else, just that one. In fact they were all cool about it. The were going to give her the DTaP because they thought that was all they had but then the ER doc went and found the straight tetanus for us. I did appreciate that.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
Old 03-27-2005, 11:37 PM

Aventis Pastuer makes it, I see. Thanks for the link, amnesiac.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the info- I'm in a quandry now because ds is only 12 mo, so apparently too young for tetanus only, but dh is worried about him playing in the dirt and catching tetanus, but I do not want dt, dtap, or dtp! Should we worry about him playing in the dirt?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The one and only shot I ever got was tetanus for a dog bite.

I went to my Father's friend who was also a medical doctor who ordered it special for me and later my sister who was bitten by the same dog. :

I recall distinctly laying on the table and getting it in the butt! :

That was 1962.

Let me add that when I was bit on the job in 1978, I refused the shot, and I have since refused a tetanus shot for my own children as each of them were bit ; I simply washed the wound, and watched for any symptoms. No problems.

Dr, Mendelsohn had said that the very last shot he decided not to "believe in" was the tetanus toxoid; I guess I am in good company. He said that from what he knew of the tetanus toxoid shot, the doctors must have been injecting people with water in place of tetanus toxoid since there had been extremely few or no cases of reactions or toxicity reported in a long time...

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 03-29-2005, 01:41 AM

Old 03-29-2005, 12:35 PM

Homeopathic Ledum given immediately after a puncture wound can prevent tetanus.
Also good old vitamin C!

Quote:
Effect of ascorbic acid in the treatment of tetanus.

The effect of daily intravenous administration of 1000 mg ascorbic acid (AA) in tetanus patients aged 1-30 years was studied. In the age group of 1-12 years, 31 patients were treated with AA as additional to antitetanus serum, sedatives and antibiotics. It was found that none of the patients died who received AA along with the conventional antitetanus therapy. On the other hand, 74.2 per cent of the tetanus patients who received the conventional antitetanus therapy without AA (control group) were succumbed to the infection. In the other age group of 13-30 years, there were 27 and 38 patients in the treatment and control groups respectively. The mortality in the AA and control groups were 37 percent and 67.8 percent respectively. These results suggest that AA might play an important role in reducing the mortality of tetanus. This was supported by the fact that AA was found to mitigate the toxic effects of strychnine producing tetanus like condition in young chicks in the present study.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=6466264

1000 mg was apparently enough in those under age 12 but not enough for all of the adults in the study.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofhope
Thanks everyone for the info- I'm in a quandry now because ds is only 12 mo, so apparently too young for tetanus only, but dh is worried about him playing in the dirt and catching tetanus, but I do not want dt, dtap, or dtp! Should we worry about him playing in the dirt?
From what I recall off the top of my head, tetanus is more common among horse farms (and I would guess farms with livestock). Unless you live on a farm or on land that use to be a farm with livestock (50 years ago doesn't count and I would think anything more than 10 years ago is also fine) -- your son playing in the dirt will not likely come in contact with tetanus. You've got to be playing in their sh**. If you use fresh manure for your lawn or garden, then maybe concern is due. But most fertilizer today is chemical and if you use non-organic manure the animal has been vaxed and isn't likely to be carrying the toxoid (just my rational though process).

I was trying to find a website for this information and came up with a lot of "adults need their booster" sites and type in anti-vaccine and you get a load of movements out there to stop those of us you choose not to vaccinate with every vaccine out there -- too scary.

Bottom line, read about the where the tetnus toxoid thrives and you'll be at ease about your son playing in the dirt. And for what it is worth, my ds2 at age 16 mo fell on a piece of rusty rebar straigh into the mouth cutting the soft and hard palate skin. I asked about the tetnus. I said we were not up to date. The ER doctor said not to worry about it and the ER didn't have pediatric vaccines to being with. I took my ds2 to our family practice the next time for re-evaluation and he said the same not to worry about it, that it wasn't necessary at this time.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:57 AM

Yeah, thats what I know about tetanus too.

I also read the insert to the Aventis Pastuer tetanus vax and feel like at least its direct. Much more than the FDA and CDC's websites.

We have decided not to vax for tetanus. We'll continue with our plan to HIG if needed.

So my kids remain non-vax'd.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spatulagirl
She had a bad hot water burn several weeks ago and in the emergency room she got a tetanus shot (only tetanus cuz I had DH check it). Our hospital "lied" to us. They did have it but used it for the emergency room only.
She probably got the tetanus immunoglobulin, which they only give in emergency situations.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:02 PM

Hi everyone,
I have been researching this for a while now. I'm glad I found this thread. My doctor ordered the tetanus toxoid for my 7 year old and the insert does state that under 7 cannot take it. My question is WHY?
My other question is...what if my child goes get a rusty nail or dog bite happen, how would I know if it was infected with tetanus before it is too late? Does that make sense? Since, I normally don't go to the doctor, how would I know what tetanus looks like?

Thanks,
Old 04-09-2005, 12:13 PM

I finally went to a doctor and openly stated I didn't vax. This was suppose to be a non-vax friendly doctor.

I was told that tetanus was very important. And that the immuglobin tetanus was more dangerous b/c it was derived from blood products. While I didn't know that the immuglobin was from blood products, I did know that tetanus alone was not available for infants from reading this here. But I nicely asked, well do they make a tetanus only vac for my daughter? She left and came back to say no, but they did carry the Td for infants with out the P.

I had no intentions of vaxing dd, and I didn't. The doctor was surprised after our little talk I still said no.

I do not believe tetanus to be a danger to my child at this time. And until I find a reason that would suggest to me that their is a danger in our everyday lives, I'm not going to alter that thought rational.

In case anyone is interested:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=271000
This is my ordeal with being open about non-vaxing...

User Tag List