Vitamin K and eye ointment laws in NC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2005, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know what the North Carolina law is regarding vitamin k and eye goop for newborns? Or where I can find out? I've been searching on Google all morning with very little info turning up. I have read that the eye goop is mandatory in this state--is this true? I'm not sure about the vitamin K either but would like to find out asap. THANKS in advance to anyone with knowledge in this area!

JAMIE

Loving wife. Mama to five crazy kids. Follower of Jesus. Doula & Childbirth Educator.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2005, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Keep looking.

Every doctor will tell you 'it", whether "it" is vaccines, eye prophyaxis at birth for gonorreah, vitamin K, hospital birth, PKU, AFP, or circumcision is mandatory because "it" is more convenient for them to simply put you off that way.

Ask a midwife or LLLI locally, or search the forums here...stay on it and you will find it....

"Seek and Ye shall find..."

Good luck : for you!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 03-31-2005, 06:20 PM

http://www.immunizenc.com/ but I don't see either of those on there. My understanding from birth class is you CAN request to NOT have them at birth, but you better be on top of it, b/c those nurses work darn fast...
Old 03-31-2005, 07:23 PM

The nurses sure do! I/my ds fell victim to the K and the goop. Had I known then what I know now, no way in H-E double hockey stix would I have allowed ds to receive them. So, research your lil heart out and don't let them do anything you don't want done.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:34 PM

I had a birth plan, and they acknowledge it, and if I had to do it over again I'd put in big capital letters NO VITAMIN K SHOT OR EYE GOOP (try to get the real name for it) and point it out at the time you get to the hospital, if you go there. And make sure DH knows, or he will be able to stand right there while they do it to your dc...
Old 03-31-2005, 09:03 PM

What I was told from the birth center is that you can opt out of the vit. k but there is no exemption for the eye goop in NC.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:18 PM

They did not touch my kids, in fact after reading my birth plan the nurse said that she would not even take her table of stuff in with her, in fear she may do something out of habit. Also my husband never leaves me or the baby. I am out because of general anesthesia and c-section and he watches them like a hawk.

Here is a link to my informed consent for the ERYTHROMYCIN ADMINISTRATION, which is the eye gunk that they put in. It may be helpful. http://www.sisterssoapshop.com/cgi-b...1&st=&&#entry1

It is mandatory in my State as well, but bottom line is this: If the treatment is done regardless of your request, it is called battery. You are that child’s parent and the state is simply that, the state. They care about their deep pockets not your kids.

Here is a link to my informed consent for the VITAMIN K ADMINISTRATION. It too may be helpful for you. http://www.sisterssoapshop.com/cgi-b...2&st=&&#entry1

If you are stuck on getting the Vitamin K for you baby, than opt for the natural oral Vitamin K. They can get it from their pharmacy, but they will not just offer up the information to you.

Hope this helps you out. God Bless
Audy
http://www.sisterssoapshop.com/cgi-b.../ikonboard.cgi
Check out my health forum.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:48 PM

In NC the erythromiacin is mandatory but Vitamin K is not. I think it really depends on your birth team as to whether you can easily 'opt out' of the erythro. I tried everything to get out of it prior to birth but after delivery ds went to the NICU and I wasn't in any shape to go there and follow up (rough time). Dh was too much of a conformist to make a stink about it.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jenna~
What I was told from the birth center is that you can opt out of the vit. k but there is no exemption for the eye goop in NC.
What if you prove beyond any doubt that you, the mother, do not have gonorrhea?

That is what the antibiotic drops are for...

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 04-02-2005, 05:52 PM

I am in NC and I just had to sign a waiver ( I opted out of both) when my dd was born in 2003. Are you high risk? Because if not, you might want to find a homebirth midwife. I had dd in a freestanding birthcenter with no problems, but I htink the hopsitals are bad about the eye goop from what I hear.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 04-02-2005, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice
What if you prove beyond any doubt that you, the mother, do not have gonorrhea?

That is what the antibiotic drops are for...

I brought up the fact that I had no STDs and offered to be tested, but it didn't matter.

It's one of those antiquated patriarchal Southern laws that assume women are stupid hos who go around contracting everything available to contract, and all pure, innocent neonates MUST be protected from the filthy loins from whence they sprung.

Old 04-03-2005, 01:06 AM

There is some, not much evidence that the silver nitrate drops once used for the eyes caused myopia in some people...

My midwife's daughter was legally blind in one eye, the eye that the nurse gave a double dose of silver nitrate to because she thought that she did not get it in the first time.

The antibiotic drops can sensitize your neonate to other antibiotics which he/she may receive in life.

I hope you can do this.

Old 04-03-2005, 01:29 AM

I don't even know if they (both) are mandatory here, in Canada... I went with midwives and declined them both, but I have no clue what happens with OBs at hospitals. I suspect that they are much more lenient here, though.

What I know (because I started my pregnancy with our family doc) is that they test you here for EVERYTHING. But EVERYTHING. Syphilis. Gonorrhea. HIV. Every hepatitis known to man. Chlamydia. Etc. Women have good knowledge of what they have or don't have to be able to accept or decline the 'lovely' stuff.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:16 AM

Here in the good old U.S. of A. pregnant women ARE tested for everything under the sun in the course of their pregnancy, but for some reason every one of the fifty states has this eye prophyllaxis requirment for newborns...

I guess all of the state legislators think all pregnant women are promiscuous whores who sleep around all through their pregnancy including the night before they go into labor....

...if the doctors think that the husbands are giving it to their wives, then maybe they should be testing the men also?

Old 04-04-2005, 03:20 AM

On the other hand...

I do know that at one time gonorrhea was thought to be a disease that women CARRIED and men got...

The reason being that gonorrhea would quietly attack the woman's reproductive tract until she had a horrible case of peritonitis (or some other emergency)...men, who "carry everything outside", get instant, visible, obvious, unmistakeable signs that they have been infected with goonorrhea very quickly...

Old 04-04-2005, 11:28 AM

Regardless if it's "manditory" or not--you can always get or claim an exemption.

User Tag List